Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my V-Rod from the dealer. Had them install the 28Tooth and also a chrome rear pulley. On the way home I thought I heard some rattling noise, but with the full-face on couldn't tell for sure. Had my wife following me home and she flagged me down about a mile from the house and said there is stuff flying out the back of the bike!!! I'm like shit and take a look. Right under where the 28T is there is a ball of yellow / blackish cotton type fiber stringy material in a ball. I also notice the clunking when the bike is rolling and I pull in the clutch.

What the hell is wrong and what is this material coming out? Any ideas? I called the dealer and they are sending a trailer here on Tuesday to pick the bike and see what is wrong. I spoke to the tech on the phone and he has no idea what the material is or what could be wrong.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
G'Day mate
175 Posts
Hi Motown,

Don't like the sound of that!! My guess, and it only is a guess, would be the drive belt is rubbing on something and fraying - possibly the new belt guard. Have a close look at the belt to check for signs of damage, especially along the edges. Check the mounting bolts of the belt guard to see if any of them could be rubbing. I'd also pull off the front pulley cover (only three allen head bolts - comes off easily) and check under there for something amiss.

If there is enough coming off to be visible from a following car, i would suggest your drive belt is gunna need replacing as well (obviously after you/dealer finds the cause of it).

Good luck.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would cause the clunking noise when the clutch is engaged and the bike is rolling? When under power there is no noise...

Regardless it's not good.

I'll take the front pulley cover off and see whats there.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took a closer look at it and the inside of the belt is gone! Something is making contact with the belt and the material I am seeing is the belts cords and rubber being shredded.

Well back to the dealer on Tuesday. I'll let him replace it with a new belt.

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Make sure that you get the 2004 belt (149 tooth) out of the deal if you haven't already got one! Not too big of a difference but pulls the rear tire back into an adjustable range on the swingarm. I have a 150 tooth (stock 2003) belt if you need one and the dealer tries to sidestep their responsibility... just PM me if you need it.
Mike

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the 2004 belt that came in the HD 28Tooth kit that is on the bike now. I still have my stock belt, but agree with you I want the '04 belt back on the bike.

Thanks for the offer though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Motown,

Wait till you get her dialed in. You'll love the 28T upgrade. I had oil leak problems after my install but quickly fixed it with a new o ring. I am running the Samson Long Slashers. Kinda loud and I like them but I have been thinking about having my stock mufflers V-Modded. How do you like your set up?

Doug

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the V-Mod setup. The 28T definately takes time to get used to. I used to roll into the corners pretty hard on the throttle and letting the backend break slightly loose. With the 28T I almost crapped my pants through the first corner when at 3/4 throttle the backend went crazy and almost slid right out from under me. It did put an instant smile on my face though!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts