Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just found out my why my oil usage is increasing.they mech guy says the valve seals are gone on my 04 VRSca.says the oil is caked on to the cylindar heads.this is reason my oil consumption is so high

will i have to pay the labor costs for this or is it covered under my 24 month warranty? 8hrs work x $79cdn~ yikes~~~

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
since its an 04 isnt it out of warrenty? if not they should take care of all of it

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Just for info,I'd like to know how the mechanic knows this.
What brand and type oil do you use,who does the service and at what intervals? How many miles on the bike?

Some Revo's have been known to use oil at the rings for thousands of miles and then they quit,mine was one of them.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
That isn't oil thats fuel carbon. Use top engine cleaner and clean it. Get a new mechanic that knows what he's doing is my suggestion.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe its this guys theory but he said there is a build up of oil caked on to the cylindar head. oil consumption is escaping through the valves

maybe take it to another dealer in sarnia, ON or to Port Huron, MI

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6000 miles on it with with both the 1000 and 5000 miles service done

i love this cycle~ but its becoming a nightmare !

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Newfie_V-Rod said:
maybe its this guys theory but he said there is a build up of oil caked on to the cylindar head. oil consumption is escaping through the valves

maybe take it to another dealer in sarnia, ON or to Port Huron, MI
How does he know there is oil caked up on the cylinder head? Did he take the bike apart or did he look down the throttle bodies and see black carbon on top of the back of the intake valves? The black carbon is fuel and not oil, trust me on this one it comes from years of experience with this.

So how much oil do you use and what type oil do you use. If you say syn 3 then change the oil before you let this jack leg that doesn't know anything destroy your motor. I'm not saying that all bikes that have syn3 will use oil but there is no doubt that a documented number of bikes that use syn3 have used large amounts of oil and the use went away when changing to any other type of oil. Even try the regular HD oil just not the 40% synthetic blend syn3 which I think is made by citgo.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Newfie_V-Rod said:
Syn3 is not in it~ its standard HD 20w 50 oil
How much oil are you burning?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Newfie_V-Rod said:
half a quart for 700 miles

bone stock VRSCa no mods at all~
A qt in 1400 miles with around 5000 miles on the bike sounds like it could be normal and just not broken in yet. Did you follow the break in procedure outlined in the manual or did you ride it hard?

Note I rode mine like I stole it and it has never used a measurable amount of oil ever. I do see a lot of post of people that followed the break in and the rings take much longer to seat when they did. Rings are where the oil goes though and not the valve seals. If valve seals leaked 1 qt in 1400 miles you would look like a mosquito sprayer every time you let off the throttle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts