Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,
I know the effect I'm after and I know what I DON'T want it to look like, but I'm having a hell of a time reconciling the two. I just moved to Fairfax, VA, which means Highway commuting and riding with my DX. Which also means I am interested in getting some of this wind off my chest and head. I have searched these forums for the past few days and have concluded that:
1) The faring on the "Road-Rod" is too damned big (and seems to only be good for A and B models),
2) Most folks seem to hate the sport windshield unless they are 5'6" (I'm 6'1),
3) Big windshield just don't look right to me.
I want something black or tinted that blends as seemlessly as possible in with the bike AND can do the job of keeping some wind off.
So now I'm asking for some direct help. In my minds eye there is a faring that could look right...but I can't seem to find it in reality. Not only that but I am confused when I search online at Memphis and other sites that say their windshields and farings are only for FLH models and NOT V-Rod (yet I see folks posted pics with them). I am pretty mechanically inclined, so if it takes cutting, shaping, bending or modifying something, I have no problem with that as long as I can get some decent guidance. (don't have the time/money for multiple trial and error efforts on my own)
1). Is there a mythical faring out there that fits the DX? (without looking like a giant mushroom tip)
2). What kind of windshields are people really happy with, as far as keeping wind off and keeping the lines of the bike? (Memphis, Rifle, windvest(?), Sport, ??)
3). If it takes getting a faring made from another bike and some ingenuity, do you have some advice/directions?
4). These answers are worthless without pics.

Thanks to all. As always, this forum is the greatest on the web.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
71 Posts
it s cool i have seen it before arlen ness makes one and i had one on my sporty that i got from jc whitney no much in the way of wind protection i need something a little taller the wind here miami its incredible with a little sand mixed in lol.

·
Premium Member
10,816 Posts
FYI, Just found this. Article says its a Rifle Roadster faring...(with some mods)

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/features/0809_hbkp_2006_v_rod_night_rod/photo_01.html
That's Frank's bike. BadVR. Go to his gallery, and look at lots of pictures of his bikes - which are awesome!
I had a supersport, mid-sport, touring and finally Road Rod fairing. Took a few years, but I finally graduated to the big one! Yes, it works. Yes, it is big. It looks great on a DX - look in baggers, look for SC2WHLS4ME, and see his DX. Sweet. Only you will be able to decide how much wind you want. Lots of folks like nothing, others a fly screen, and on and on. I have at least 6 different windshields for my Road Rod fairing, all different sizes, and I keep experimenting. I have even had it down the track to see how aerodynamic I could be. I had to adjust it, as it wanted to make the front end feel light. Play around until you get what works for you. Then post up your solution. Good luck, Joe

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey gang,
I know the effect I'm after and I know what I DON'T want it to look like, but I'm having a hell of a time reconciling the two. I just moved to Fairfax, VA, which means Highway commuting and riding with my DX. Which also means I am interested in getting some of this wind off my chest and head. I have searched these forums for the past few days and have concluded that:
1) The faring on the "Road-Rod" is too damned big (and seems to only be good for A and B models),
2) Most folks seem to hate the sport windshield unless they are 5'6" (I'm 6'1),
3) Big windshield just don't look right to me.
I want something black or tinted that blends as seemlessly as possible in with the bike AND can do the job of keeping some wind off.
So now I'm asking for some direct help. In my minds eye there is a faring that could look right...but I can't seem to find it in reality. Not only that but I am confused when I search online at Memphis and other sites that say their windshields and farings are only for FLH models and NOT V-Rod (yet I see folks posted pics with them). I am pretty mechanically inclined, so if it takes cutting, shaping, bending or modifying something, I have no problem with that as long as I can get some decent guidance. (don't have the time/money for multiple trial and error efforts on my own)
1). Is there a mythical faring out there that fits the DX? (without looking like a giant mushroom tip)
2). What kind of windshields are people really happy with, as far as keeping wind off and keeping the lines of the bike? (Memphis, Rifle, windvest(?), Sport, ??)
3). If it takes getting a faring made from another bike and some ingenuity, do you have some advice/directions?
4). These answers are worthless without pics.

Thanks to all. As always, this forum is the greatest on the web.
I don't know about any farings. You might like a fairing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the tinted rifle windshield made for DX. It does a great job keeping the wind off you. Also, you can take it on and off in about 5 minutes. So when you are doing a long commute you can have it on, and when you aren't commuting, you can get it off quickly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know about any farings. You might like a fairing.
Really? That's your input...a typo... Thanks, that's helpful. :chair:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.