Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a brand new 2008 VRSCAW. I went from a Buell to a Harley so this is my first.
I have put about 300 miles on it so far and I have started to hear some weird noises.
In the front end I hear a high pitched squeak in the front forks when I am hitting road bumps in town at slow speeds.
ALSO
I am hearing a low end squeaking/scraping/grinding noise from the rear end.
I can only hear it at low speeds also.
It sorts reminds me of a noise that I would hear in a car when a front end bearing is about to go out.

Do these sounds ring any bells with anyone?
Like I said I am new to Harley so I do not know the odd sounds they might make during the break-in period.

Any help here would be great.

Thanks

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Let me take it out for a ride for a few days and I'll let you know if they are normal or not.

Welcome to the Forums!

·
Damaged Goods.....
599 Posts
Get louder pipes- its all good then....

Hey Welcome to the forums!!

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
lightingguy1988 said:
In the front end I hear a high pitched squeak in the front forks when I am hitting road bumps in town at slow speeds.
ALSO
I am hearing a low end squeaking/scraping/grinding noise from the rear end.
I can only hear it at low speeds also.
It sorts reminds me of a noise that I would hear in a car when a front end bearing is about to go out.
Front end - Is it possible that you may be mistaking the swishing of the oil in the shocks for this squeak?

Rear end - It sounds like two different things, 1 being the belt on the rear pulley and 2 being the brake pads slightly rubbing the rotor.

Keep in mind it's kinda hard to diagnose a noise without hearing it but I can tell you that the way you describe the noises reminds me of some of the same sounds in the same areas I've experienced.

And by the way, WELCOME!:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
******* said:
Front end - Is it possible that you may be mistaking the swishing of the oil in the shocks for this squeak?

Rear end - It sounds like two different things, 1 being the belt on the rear pulley and 2 being the brake pads slightly rubbing the rotor.

Keep in mind it's kinda hard to diagnose a noise without hearing it but I can tell you that the way you describe the noises reminds me of some of the same sounds in the same areas I've experienced.

And by the way, WELCOME!:D

Thank you for a intelligent answer to a new persons question.

The sound in the front kinda makes since after you explained it that way.
But it sounds more like the black rubber is sliding up & down the dry forks in the bumps.
I am just not sure since the bike is so new to me.

As for the noise in the rear...
I am going to go with the brake pads rubbing because I am getting a lot of black brake dust inside the rear rim after a ride.

Did yours just "go away" during the break in period?
Or did you have to do something about it?

Thanks

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
lightingguy1988 said:

The sound in the front kinda makes since after you explained it that way.
But it sounds more like the black rubber is sliding up & down the dry forks in the bumps.
I am just not sure since the bike is so new to me.

As for the noise in the rear...
I am going to go with the brake pads rubbing because I am getting a lot of black brake dust inside the rear rim after a ride.

Did yours just "go away" during the break in period?
Or did you have to do something about it?

Thanks

It never totally went away it either just got better or I started to get used to it. You should also be hearing the front brakes dragging just a bit too.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
is the rear noise a scraping noise or a low whining noise?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VenomousSVT said:
is the rear noise a scraping noise or a low whining noise?
It is a low end scraping noise.
It has a rhythm to it so I know it is connected to the rotation of the rear wheel.

Thanks

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
lightingguy1988 said:
It has a rhythm to it so I know it is connected to the rotation of the rear wheel.

Thanks

You may be able to track it down a little more closely by pushing your bike without the engine running. (if you haven't thought of that yet)

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
lightingguy1988 said:

Thanks
yeah that definitely sounds like the rear brake dragging

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
lightingguy1988 said:

Just a little FYI, I'm not condoning nor supporting the fact that some answers may be just a tad sarcastic and not much help. I will say that if you are patient and don't go on the defense to quick, I am positive that helpful feedback WILL BE posted.

Often newbies get all pissy at smartass comments made about their questions and they are often viewed as targets for much of the same :bs: with any help they may need later on.

Allot of new guys get flamed for asking questions that have been repeatedly posted and answered literally hundreds of times. This is the best place for answers to questions on your V-Rod, without a doubt, so don't let a few wisecracks deter you from your inquiries.(I say this cause some have mentioned that I could be considered a bit of an, ummm, welll a smartass from time to time. :hidesbeh:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
******* -
I understand the repetitive question annoyance of new forum members.
I have been a member of forums of different topics for a while.

With the membership that this forum has I am sure there are quite a few smart-ass members... LOL
So I tend to not respond to smart-ass responses as a way of deterring the drama aspect that a response would allow.

And I figure everyone can be a smart-ass in the right setting even myself.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
just an FYI... i think ******* was being a smartass....LOL

no wait, he was being sincere.. it is this post that was me being a smartass.

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
lightingguy1988 said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
******* -
I understand the repetitive question annoyance of new forum members.
I have been a member of forums of different topics for a while.

With the membership that this forum has I am sure there are quite a few smart-ass members... LOL
So I tend to not respond to smart-ass responses as a way of deterring the drama aspect that a response would allow.

And I figure everyone can be a smart-ass in the right setting even myself.

You've got it whipped then! p.s. I don't want to mention any names(cause I don't know what that venomous characters name is) but don't take ANYTHING he says seriously! That dude is throwed off!:angeldev:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
On my '08 there is significant shock and front fork noise under compression, it's the oil moving through the valves. I've had the thicker oil in my old forks for so long I forgot how loud the thinner oil is.

On the rear I get both the belt whine when hot and some brake pad swish. I also get brake dust AND belt flecs (little flecs of rubber from the corners of the belt wearing). Both of these are normal. The brake swish will never go away until you go to a different pad material. The belt noise can be reduced / eliminated by proper tension and rear wheel alignment.

Overall, the noises you hear are normal. Make a note and tell your dealer about them when you go in for the 1000 mile service. They probably won't do anything about it but at least it's on record.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^
mjw930...

Those descriptions pretty much match the noises that I am hearing.
Like I said this is my first Harley so I am unsure what noises are "normal" and which ones are not.

As for the rear... I am getting a lot of dust on the right and some black bits on the left.
So I am sure it it the brakes/belt just as you described.

Thank you for the great explanation.
I will make notes and bring it up to the dealer at 1000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2003 VRSCA (9,500 miles) emits a scraping and crackling sound which I have traced to the belt slapping the factory metal upper belt guard. I caused this by backing off some belt tension, thinking that the belt was too tight. I'm living with it due to a hesitation to tighten the belt. The lack of indexing on the swingarm makes it an eyeball precision job, which I hate. I'll probably tighten it when I am sufficiently disgusted by the whole issue. Lol.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Belt Tension

Robert Lee, it's important that you keep your belt adjusted to specifications. One of the tools you should have in your box is the belt tension tool. Running your belt loose is a sure path to premature belt wear and failure. Especially if you like to twist it.

Absent the belt tension tool, for a quick check grab the belt at the low point and twist. You should not be able to twist it beyond 90 degrees. If you can, it is too loose.

And that's my two cents worth. By the way, did you notice that you responded to a 2007 post?

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Loose belt means being stranded on the side of a isolated road in the middle of nowhere holding the belt in your hand..
Don't ask me how I know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts