Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you had a near miss or a crash in the last three years?

Were any of the situations described below involved?

*Being hit from behind
*Following the vehicle ahead of you too closely
*Another vehicle entering your path of travel
*Loss of control of your motorcycle​

What did you learn from the incident?

I'll start:

I almost crashed into a car full of young kids that sped out of a blind driveway right into my path of travel. I managed to slow down and swerve into the left lane and then back into the right. The car stopped at a stop sign ahead intending to turn right. I needed to go left. I pulled up next to the car and yelled into the open window that he could have killed me back there. I did get a tiny bit of satisfaction out of the look on his face and his inability to get any intelligible words out of his mouth.

After this I learned and internalized that it is up to me to be truly diligent on residential streets especially. If I am not, then I cannot avoid situations like this in the future.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
I had a near miss/death a few months ago, riding with some friends. We were in stop and go traffic, something with :boobs: caught my attention for just a Second. When I looked ahead I was 20 ft from the rear bumper of a truck. Jumped on the both breaks and whipped it left into the on coming path of a car, whipped right to get out of the way of that car. So, other than dirty shorts, puckered Sundowner and extreme embarrassment in front of my friends, nothing came of it. BUT, I did learn a powerful lesson. It all happened in less than 5 seconds but felt like 30 seconds. Scary moment and now I try to stay completely focused on my environment, not just the :boobs:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had two incidents of cagers in the center lane cutting me off as I passed on the left within the first two weeks of ownership. One was a cell-chatting SUV Bimbo and the other a rushed delivery truck driver. Brembo brakes are great but the real take home message is "assume you are invisible" because to a cager, you usually are!

I've already added lighted mirrors (with turn signals) and an HID headlight bulb. Next is a pair of halogen auxilliary lights, an LED tail lamp and rear signals conversion kit so the signals stay lit (red) and flash for turns (amber). Anything that widens the apparent image of me on my bike seems to make a difference.

If that doesn't get their attention maybe I'll try tying a bunch of orange balloons to my butt. :D

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
It seems like every time I go for a ride, someone pulls out in front of me, or flys up to a stop sign and slams on their brakes. I think they are just seeing if I am paying attention. It has made me slow down in conjested areas though...

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I was riding a few weeks ago and there was a car changing lanes that didn't see me there, it wasn't a big deal I had plenty of room behind and infront of me. I honked my horn and they saw me, but I was about to just kick the side of the car, after it happened I really wish I would have :D

other than that, this year has been mostly uneventful. I did almost hit a duck and a turkey (on two different occasions) When the duck flew out in front of me I had to slam on my brakes hard, the rear locked up, scared me a little.

·
yellow turbo SE2
731 Posts
its been 4 years ago.............the day i bought my v-rod i was riding it home was only going 45 because it was new, going down the 4 lane and the car in front of me swerved real hard and my natural reflex was to swerve to the right and that quick i felt a rush of wind and BAM a car was going the wrong way on the 4 lane misses me by inches and hits the car behind my head on at approx 100 mph.
apparently the car was running from the police. The guy in front of me said he was sure i got hit, for the life of me i dont know how it didnt hit me, it happened so fast it took me a few minutes to figure it out and then I relized how close i was to losing my life that day.
steve

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
I have a nice dent on the bottom of my pipes because I was swerving away from an idiot pushing himself into my lane. Swiped a marker pole as I was ran off the road.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
I have never been cutoff etc. as much this year as all the other years combined of riding. I can't believe how much I get cutoff, tailgated etc.

Last month my son was cutoff and almost killed. His bike was trashed. For a little more than the cost of the bike, it can be repaired though. Oh yeah, and the hospital bills are more than the cost of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I’ve had my V-rod for a little over 2 ½ years now with a little over 50,000 miles on her. I live in North Georgia with many great roads to ride and have had the usual near misses with deer and dogs and the occasional close calls with caggers.

While at the rally this year after the rain Tue. Night, I headed back to the cabin and tried to avoid a large puddle of water and misjudged the edge of the road. When the tires fell off the road and hit the wet grass the bike went out from under me and I went down. There was minimal damage to the bike and I was lucky and only fractured a couple of ribs. What I learned ………DON”T drink and ride!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rule #1-We are all invisable to tha eyes of the Idiot...#2-Rules of tha road don't apply to motorcycles...#3-Ride with extreem prejudice,it beats dieing ( if ya can't, then take tha bus )...#4-anticipate tha unexpected,ALL tha time, follow yer instinks...#5- We are V-rod, we have attitude...#6-Worry about explaining to tha cop later, He will be more understanding than you think...#7-letting other drivers dictate how you ride is wrong,keep as much distance as you can, put tha a-hole in yer mirror...Taken from tha book of "Wild Bill"

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
i run into stupid people every time I ride.... i am over compensating when i ride trying to look for every possibility od death and so that I may avoid it so I do not have that many very close calls.

I did have a little panic situation a few days ago... was driving down the highway and getting ready to go through a traffic light and all of a sudden some cager runs right up to the turn lane and never stops for the light.... the drives right out into my lane and I have to get into the brakes pretty hard! I rode his ass up to the next light then just stared at him in his mirror trying to make eye contact with him. as soon as he realized he was pissed he flipped his mirror so that he wouldnt have to see me...

clueless cager!

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Well there was this little incident at the 2005 KC Rally involving a rental bike, a sharp bend and a ditch!!:hidesbeh:

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I learned several things:
If you're going to make an idiot of yourself, may as well do it in style at a gathering of fellow V Rodders;
Said V Rodders are the BEST and will go out of their way to ensure you and the bike are ok;
Riding while hungover - not recommended.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
Last one is when I got an exhibition of speed ticket. Lady cut me off on the freeway (cellphone and whatnot strapped to her dome) we got off on the same exit so I pulled up next to her, lit the rear tire up and fill her cabin up with smoke cuz' her window was down. Yep, it was worth the ticket. CHP had front row view from across the street as he was going to get on the freeway. He was pretty cool about it though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
P.S...tha more lights, tha loader yer horn, tha loader yer bike,wave yer bike at approaching cars, yer headlight will be waving, maybe they will see it...Noone sees my dually either !

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Christine said:
oh, and
V Rods are not very good off-roaders
not even those R models? they have tons of ground clearance
:hidesbeh:

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
VenomousSVT said:
not even those R models? they have tons of ground clearance
:hidesbeh:
Sorry, I should have said
VRSCBs are not very good off-roaders :D

(and, I assume, VRSCAs but I've never tried it with my own bike:angeldev: )

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Have you had a near miss or a crash in the last three years?

What did you learn from the incident?

After this I learned and internalized that it is up to me to be truly diligent on residential streets especially. If I am not, then I cannot avoid situations like this in the future.
Two people were hit on bikes (one Vrod) in our town the other day and the police officer said this, which is very close to what Lil said--

"In both of these cases, you've got a motorcyclist that apparently was just riding along and got hit by a car," he said. "Motorcyclists have to ride defensively. They just have to. You can't rely on the rules of the road to keep you safe like you do in a car."

The accident with the Vrod involved a deputy fire chief going through a caution light, an oncoming car turned in front of him pinning the fireman under the car. The kid said he didnt see the bike. Happened right in front of the police station. http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=29200

Be Safe!!

·
Michael J
740 Posts
Yellowstone this year, Woman in a Durango and loaded trailer hitch bike rack.The typical left turn into a parking spot. Hit the brakes, rear stepped out, pulled it back, which put me on a path that cleared the last of the bikes. I thought I bought it. Always look for holes, target fixation will let you hit what you are looking at. Went back and asked the woman how her vacation was going. She was distraught, couldn't figure out how I missed her.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts