Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys first time on here so here goes!

I have bought a brand new 2011 model night rod special! Brought the bike home no worries.
went for first big ride probably about 400kms and when i got home the was oil all over the side of the engine and down the side of the bike. Turn out the breather hose on top of the rocker was not put on from factory, got it back from the dealer went for another ride same thing happened again, this time it was because the dealer put the hose on wrong this time i put the hose on correctly!

Now when you start the bike it blows a puff of blue smoke and uses a bit of oil.

i took the top of the air box of and then the plate that goes on top of the air filter and there was a shit load of oil on the bottom of airbox inside the air filter!

I have spoke to a couple of people and they reckon that there should be no oil in there.
they said it sounds like broken rings because the crank case pressure is blowing the oil pass the rings and through the breather hose into the airbox!

The bike has only 2300kms on it and i am not confident to ride it because of all the things that have happened so far from new! It had its first oil and filter change at 1200kms and the only thing that has been change is the mufflers. I took of the ugly std ones and put on a set of black super trapps.

I will be going back to the dealer this week to have it looked at but i am concerned they are just going to say its normal when i dont think it is!

Any feed back on what people might think would be much appreciated!

peter

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i don't know about an 2011 but my 06D had oil in the bottom on the inside of the filter, which was normal. i thought it was excessive but after reading a few post on here and talking with others, i deemed it normal. i'd still have it looked at like you have planned.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Yours is not the first one we've heard of that had the breather tubes installed incorrectly, boadazofa, and a little bit of oil mist in the air filter housing is not unusual. (Mine is apparently one of the clean ones.) It sounds like the dealership didn't clean the air filter housing well but it could be something more serious. Certainly, you want to be absolutely satisfied with the bike before the warranty expires and if you have a Lemon Law be sure to document, document, document.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
You didn't buy a lemon, your just dealing with a "stealer" that is a lemon... Doesn't sound like you have any serious motor problems but, it is under warranty right? Does Australia have "lemon" laws? Here in the states, if you have to take the vehicle back for the same problem three times, the vehicle is theres and they have to refund you your monies... I gotta say, if the techs at that dealership can't put a breather hose on right, I'd be looking for another dealer or a good indy to have your work done... Sorry to hear you're having problems with a brand new motorcycle but hopefully the motor is fine...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Oil in the air box is a common feature of my B - of course, I pump a little harder as a 1350. These engines do develop a fair amount of crankcase pressure and some of the relief comes with oil.

I would say not to worry....but let them check it out anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Make sure your oil level is correct. If you have overfilled it even a little, it will blow the excess out of the breather.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'm not sure how it works in Australia,but the dealer is supposed to perform a PDI,pre delivery inspection.You should see a dealer prep charge on the buyers order.Go back and talk directly with the general manager about the hoses.This should have been caught before you took delivery of the motorcycle.You paid for this and they need to know it.
Now,don't go filling in the new bike survey with a bunch of low numbers,yell at the general manager and fill the form out with high numbers.This gives them more ability to help people for free.Let the general manager know that this should not hurt his CSI score,Customer Satisfaction Score.If your dealer treats you like the one I do biz w treats me,this will pay off to you down the road.
But,on the other side,if the people in the dealer are assholes,then by all means,hammer them on the survey sheet!

It is normal for oil to be in the filter area if the rings weren't seated within the first few minutes of the engine running.Because of this,you will see more than usual in the filter area for about 5000 miles.This is normal on this particular engine.Do not get all upset about it,even though it is spanking new.
It has been proven that the Syn3 oil is not so great for the Revo engine.Surf around the forum and look at the oil threads for a good oil from your country that works well for the Revo and it's wet clutch.Take some time and surf around the whole forum.This place is loaded with more info that can be read in a week!
If you run the engine in your new bike real hard,the rings will seat in quicker than babying it.You cannot hurt the engine in a V-Rod.I dare you to try!
Take a look at this and apply it to your new riding habits to help the rings seat in.http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm This is a great article.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
All good advice - but re the Lemon Laws, I'm no expert but my recollection is that a vehicle had to be taken back to the dealer a certain number of times (three, as TBone said, sticks in my mind but I'm not sure) for the same problem and left there, out of service, such-and-such a length of time. I think it's much more complicated than just going back for a 10-minute fix three times.

I won't even address the "which oil" question. There is at least one bike forum that essentially dares anyone to ask that question under penalty of banishment. :rofl2::rofl:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not sure how it works in Australia,but the dealer is supposed to perform a PDI,pre delivery inspection.You should see a dealer prep charge on the buyers order.Go back and talk directly with the general manager about the hoses.This should have been caught before you took delivery of the motorcycle.You paid for this and they need to know it.
Now,don't go filling in the new bike survey with a bunch of low numbers,yell at the general manager and fill the form out with high numbers.This gives them more ability to help people for free.Let the general manager know that this should not hurt his CSI score,Customer Satisfaction Score.If your dealer treats you like the one I do biz w treats me,this will pay off to you down the road.
But,on the other side,if the people in the dealer are assholes,then by all means,hammer them on the survey sheet!

It is normal for oil to be in the filter area if the rings weren't seated within the first few minutes of the engine running.Because of this,you will see more than usual in the filter area for about 5000 miles.This is normal on this particular engine.Do not get all upset about it,even though it is spanking new.
It has been proven that the Syn3 oil is not so great for the Revo engine.Surf around the forum and look at the oil threads for a good oil from your country that works well for the Revo and it's wet clutch.Take some time and surf around the whole forum.This place is loaded with more info that can be read in a week!
If you run the engine in your new bike real hard,the rings will seat in quicker than babying it.You cannot hurt the engine in a V-Rod.I dare you to try!
Take a look at this and apply it to your new riding habits to help the rings seat in.http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm This is a great article.
THANKS for the link... I have 1 mile on my 2011 and I'm going to use that link you provided for breaking mine in...(In a couple of months....snow, sigh)
Does anyone know if they use synthetic oil in these machines new??

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
THANKS for the link... I have 1 mile on my 2011 and I'm going to use that link you provided for breaking mine in...(In a couple of months....snow, sigh)
Does anyone know if they use synthetic oil in these machines new??
Unless something's changed, dino oil from the factory and the dealers try to get you to switch at the 1st service. HIgher price, more profit.
(They'll try to sell you the chrome oil filter, too. It's about $4 higher than the black one.)
Edit again: Hell, they tried to sell me a chrome oil filter for my ol' Shovelhead bagger. It fits up into a recess underneath the motor!

·
Registered
375 Posts

Now that is an interesting read... has anyone here tried this method?
Of course it goes against everything I have been told about break in, but the results on the pistons look promising. I just don't know enough about the internal operation of the seating of the rings to know if he is just blowing smoke up my a$$ or if this is the real deal...

Opinions?

·
F'd up
273 Posts
Make sure your oil level is correct. If you have overfilled it even a little, it will blow the excess out of the breather.
I had this problem because I put the full 5 quarts in instead of compensating for the small amount of oil that stays in the motor. My mechanic recomended leaving out a quarter of a quart.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Now that is an interesting read... has anyone here tried this method?
Of course it goes against everything I have been told about break in, but the results on the pistons look promising. I just don't know enough about the internal operation of the seating of the rings to know if he is just blowing smoke up my a$$ or if this is the real deal...

Opinions?
This has been a popular method for many years.The description of how to do this has been lost through the years,because people started repeating the old wives tale of run it like you stole it until the technique has been forgotten.running an engine like you stole it is not a good thing to do for ring seating.Some basic understanding of how a combustion chamber works helps with this procedure too.

Anyone ever see the procedure Henry Ford devised at one time?
There was a big table with a sun gear surrounded by,I think a dozen,planet gears.A new engine was connected to the table at each sun gear.The table rotated causing the plantets to drive the engines,breaking them in without ever running them on fuel so they could still be sold as new engines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
once again thanks for your advice and input it has been very helpful!

i think we do have lemon laws here but to be honest i dont think it is a lemon i just put that in the title to grab peoples attention. I just think i got a 'friday bike' you know, the one that gets put to quickly so they can start the weekend sooner so a few things get missed!
I am only concerned because the 05 vrod that my dad had never had this issue at all. that be said he never had it from brand new!

peter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
took the bike to a harley service shop around the corner frommy work today. His first words were take straight back to the dealer because he has never seen any vrod have oil in the air box like that before.

so i went straight to the dealer show him what was happening and he really wouldn't comment on what was wrong all he did was take photos and said he will email straight to harley australia and see what they say.

so now i dont have a bike for the next few days atleast and it is the best weather for riding here at the moment.:mad:

Have have attach a few pics so you can see what i amtalking about.
you can see in the pics where the oil is pooling up and where it has sprayed onto the top plate of the air filter.

Attachments

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
From the pic's you've posted, it doesn't look like you have anything serious to worry about but you have it in the shop now so hopefully if there is something wrong they'll get it fixed up for you... Your summer is just bout over right? Seems like our winters are your summers and vice versa :)... Goodluck, keep us posted as to the outcome... Take care...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'm telling you,take that motorcycle out and run it exactly the way that article reads.I don't know the mechanics in the shop,but I will guess they havn't seen as many V-Rods as I have.
Get the oil out that's in there now so you know what you are dealing with.Even if you use Harley Dino oil,it's better than the syn3 for the Revo.Some oils just aren't compatible with certain engines and the syn3 has been proven to be inferior in the Revo.I recommend Amsoil 20-50 motorcycle oil,and filter,if you have it over there.
Because the engine has lost it's window of opportunity to seat the rings early,it is going to take about 5000 miles with oil different than syn3 in it for the rings to seat.
My 03 had 4 miles on it when I bought it.This was past the window of opportunity for me to seat the rings as the article reads.It took over 5000 miles for it to settle down.My 07 had 0 miles showing on the odometer.I used the procedure in the article and I have not used any oil according to the stick.
It is not unusual for the Revo to spray oil into the airbox even after the rings have been seated properly.The crankcase ventilation system is an ill design.In higher altitudes at continual high speeds,my 07 will spray more oil than normal.
It is highly unusual for the rings to not seat in this engine.
You have this concern documented.Unless the spray is still excessive,don't let those mechanics rip into your new engine until after about 5000 miles.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts