Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my '06 A model down the interstate when my tach stopped working on my cluster read something like....bus Er or 6u5 Er? My engine diagnostic light, securty system light, and temperature light came on. I then pulled off the interstate and went to a parking lot to check for a code. It gave me this code...U1301. I then started my bike and everything was back to normal, no diagnostic, security, or temperature light on...no 6u5 Er showing on my cluster. My tach was now working. So strange. Does anyone know what the hell is going on with my electronics?

·
Trailers R 4 Boats
1,271 Posts
nope, not here. My issues are the gas gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Have you done any changes or modifications to the bike in the past 90 days?
Check all battery connections and condition of battery.
Start working through main connectors to make sure nothing's loose.
Check wires that may be rubbing through their insulation down to the frame.

That should get ya' started.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
I may be totally off base on this explanation. It's been a long while since I pissed with this stuff but in times past

Electronic components "talked" to each other via "bus" and "tag" lines. "bus" was to communicate requests. "tag" was used to transmit data.

Component A would request a certain piece of information from component B. B would respond by placing the data on the "tag" lines and reply to the requester over the "bus" lines saying here it is or I don't have it or something like that.
An 'bus" error occurs when the response is null, invalid or some quirk like parity or CRC check errors.

Back in "my days" it meant a loose cable or broken wire. Now a days with components integrated on circuit boards it could mean a malfunctioning circuit board, a bad solder joint, failing component, cracked ribbon cable etc
etc.

That U1301 code is a good starting point. According to the code write up Component B failed to send the data expected to component A.

I would wait for more failures before I worry about it. Life is to short to worry about one time failures especially in electronic components.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Have you by any chance just washed the bike? Just asking as the cluster seems sensitive to moisture and the serial data line is what controls most everything you mentioned.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have not washed my bike lately nor has it been in the rain. I will wait to see if anything else happens before I take it to Eagle. Thanks guys for the info....I really appreciate it.

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
Max said:
Have you by any chance just washed the bike? Just asking as the cluster seems sensitive to moisture and the serial data line is what controls most everything you mentioned.
I was going to ask this very thing because the only time that ever happened to me, I had just hosed my bike down. I dried it, but then went for a ride and that exact thing happened. If you hadn't washed it, is it possible some moisture got into it somehow? Since that happened I make a point to never hose the bike down except around the wheels - definately not anywhere near any components. Never happened again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This very thing happened right after I washed my bike. I have let the bike sit for about 6 hours and when I turned the key the same things happened. It does stall out once or twice when I try to start it. I knew I shouldn't have washed the bike.
If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.
Thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here is a shot in the dark. People have had similar problems after washing their bikes and these problems seem to be caused by water getting into the serial cable going to the instrument cluster.

Since you have not washed the bike so water intrusion cannot be the problem, I would check the connector to make sure it hasn't backed off or come loose somehow. Also while it is off check for any signs of corrosion on the pins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a similar issue. Mine just said busER and the speedometer wouldn't go above 45mph. Took it to the dealer and they had to change my security system and the battery (both messed up some how).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts