Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take mine and put it on a dyno. Fuel Moto said it should work with out a dyno tune. What am I missing? Even after the dyno tune, they told me to turn it back on and it made it way worse. My auto tune just came back from them and they said it was working perfect.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I had to take mine and put it on a dyno. Fuel Moto said it should work with out a dyno tune. What am I missing? Even after the dyno tune, they told me to turn it back on and it made it way worse. My auto tune just came back from them and they said it was working perfect.
Hey fellow PA'er.....I am in NEPA till Friday.

So what's the deal? Are you running a PC V with AT? Correct? Are your O2's functioning correctly? If all good then it is because of your AFR map.

When you had the dyno tune done did they make an AFR map or just a fuel map? If they did not build you a map for your AFR's your PC V w/AT will try to tune it back to where it was before the Dyno tune was completed.

What you can do but it takes a while is build an AFR map like I did with HR1961 over a year ago. Post your map up and tell me where you are having issues and whats going on. I hate doing a long distance tune but I am sure I can get you going in the right direction. If you would like to keep your map private I will work it off line with you also.

Should have run it up I-81 to Dyno Tech Research and let Jim hook it up.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I could not get it to work with mine, spent several days with fuel moto and Power Commander and never got any where... Super Tuner is the way to go...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
there are a lot of things than can cause problems with auto tune.. auto tune can work very well on mildly cammed and baffled exhaust bikes but radically cammed and open exhaust can have severe problems with auto tune..

·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He did the Air fuel ratio (AFR) The bike runs great right now. I don't have the auto tune set up. Both Fuel moto and dynojet tried helping me with this and neither could do a thing. I sent my auto tune to fuel moto to make sure it wasn't it. They sent it back and said it was workign properly. I turned it back on and started accepting trims. Next thing I knew, the bike was running like chit! I reinstalled my dyno map and all was well again. I don't think the auto tune can handle the stage II upgrade.

Hey fellow PA'er.....I am in NEPA till Friday.

So what's the deal? Are you running a PC V with AT? Correct? Are your O2's functioning correctly? If all good then it is because of your AFR map.

When you had the dyno tune done did they make an AFR map or just a fuel map? If they did not build you a map for your AFR's your PC V w/AT will try to tune it back to where it was before the Dyno tune was completed.

What you can do but it takes a while is build an AFR map like I did with HR1961 over a year ago. Post your map up and tell me where you are having issues and whats going on. I hate doing a long distance tune but I am sure I can get you going in the right direction. If you would like to keep your map private I will work it off line with you also.

Should have run it up I-81 to Dyno Tech Research and let Jim hook it up.

·
Cajun-VRSCF
263 Posts
I know I am comparing apples to oranges but i am useing vrfid and stage II no problems.
I am also running the VRFI 3 with auto tune with no problems and no dyno tune. Runs great and will add a turbo soon.

·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I am comparing apples to oranges but i am useing vrfid and stage II no problems.
What exhaust are you guys running? Could that be my problem? I'm running the CFR exhaust. I was told that I may be getting fresh air up in the O2 sniffers

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
What exhaust are you guys running? Could that be my problem? I'm running the CFR exhaust. I was told that I may be getting fresh air up in the O2 sniffers
how would you be getting fresh air up in the O2 sniffers , unless you had an exhaust leak at the head?

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
there are a lot of things than can cause problems with auto tune.. auto tune can work very well on mildly cammed and baffled exhaust bikes but radically cammed and open exhaust can have severe problems with auto tune..
leon may be on to something.
i would consider the CFR an open exhaust. but i've never had any dealings with the auto tune except from what i seen with ncvrodracers bike.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You can get fresh air on a short pipe set up due to reversion but I doubt that is your problem with the CFR pipe due to it's length and design. I suspect that the auto tune just doesn't handle major mods very well as stated before.

·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can get fresh air on a short pipe set up due to reversion but I doubt that is your problem with the CFR pipe due to it's length and design. I suspect that the auto tune just doesn't handle major mods very well as stated before.
Thanks! I kind of was thinking that, but Dynojet keeps insisting that it is not the autotune! The PCV works well with the Dyno map, so I'm not going to mess with the Auto tune.

·
Back in Black
2,578 Posts
I am running rinehart 2 to 1 with homemade baffles. They are pretty open. VRFID says not to run with open exhaust but I asked on here and everyone said I would be OK and they were right. Sell the PC and buy the vrfid you will not be unhappy.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
how would you be getting fresh air up in the O2 sniffers , unless you had an exhaust leak at the head?
it can and does happen with certain pipes and big cams.. reversion waves can go up the pipe and the o2 sensors will think it sees a lean condition when it isn`t, can be a real problem with open pipes and auto tune.. second with certain pipes that work very well it can at cetain rpm`s pull raw fuel across on overlap (called short circuiting) and the o2 reading in the pipe will be overly rich when in reality the mixture in the chamber wasn`t.. and auto tune will try to lean down a mixture that isn`t really too rich

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i have tuned one bike with cfr pipe and stage two cams.. and at a few rpm`s it was short circuiting some. showing rich in the pipe but if you leaned it down it lost power.. when tuning at full throttle the reading of the o2 sensors are a good tool but at times you have to look at the hp chart and tune by that and ignore the o2 readings because the o2 reading isn`t always an accurate indication of the actual a/f during the combustion process

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Thanks! I kind of was thinking that, but Dynojet keeps insisting that it is not the autotune! The PCV works well with the Dyno map, so I'm not going to mess with the Auto tune.
That's what the told me also, I spent HOURS on the phone with them and went thru at least more than a dozen maps sending them back and forth to both Fuel Moto and P/C, Im not in no way bad mouthing either Fuel Moto or Dynojet, I just dont thank the autotune works for serious mods other than an exhaust swap... I was running a Rheinhart 2-1 and am now running the V&H comp....

I got a supertuner and had a good friend of mine that works ar the local H/D dealer tune it, took him 45 minutes from start to finish and he had it making a 128 RWHP

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
That's what the told me also, I spent HOURS on the phone with them and went thru at least more than a dozen maps sending them back and forth to both Fuel Moto and P/C, Im not in no way bad mouthing either Fuel Moto or Dynojet, I just dont thank the autotune works for serious mods other than an exhaust swap... I was running a Rheinhart 2-1 and am now running the V&H comp....

I got a supertuner and had a good friend of mine that works ar the local H/D dealer tune it, took him 45 minutes from start to finish and he had it making a 128 RWHP
Wow, you actually found a dealership that has a tuner!!! Congrats... Nice numbers for 45 minutes work so you got a good honest deal... Some of these so called tuners out there take 4 to 8 hours to tune in a bike and then charge anywhere from $100 to $250 an hour labor...

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
this tuner gene speaks of is a good guy and rides a vrod also.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts