Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know about any experiences with jet-coating or other high temp coatings. Is is possible to get glossy colors and they remain glossy? How is pricing? Pics obviously would help as well.

Thanks
DJ

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
Had V-mod ceramic coat my D&D when I ordered it. Noticed the other day it was flaking off, called Steve @ V-mod last night, he said that it may not have been prepped right. He said just send it in and he would make sure it was done right this time. He's also going to bung them up for me after he strips them down. If I had to do it again I would use http://www.jet-hot.com/?gclid=CNSbr-_MiY4CFRIygQodcEy5Og never heard of anyone having problems with them. Pics in my gallery.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
I had a second set of header pipes for my 67 E-Type Jet Hot Coated black and they seem to hold up great, I was impressed needless to say.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
There are some old threads about Jet Hot. Most people have had good experiences with them. One guy here though had a bit of a nightmare he said.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Here is a picture of my header pipes with Jet-Hot sterling. I had them done awhile back. They hold up very well, although they are not as shiney (chrome like) as they were when newly coated. They now look more like the silver leaf powder coat on the A model frames, I am very pleased as to how well they have held up. Ceramic coating is the only coating that I know of that will hold up on the header pipes.

·
Lifetime Member
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lookin good, Sammy.

Anyone have any experience with the gloss or semi-gloss black?

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
Funny you should ask! I just received my DX heatshields and a CFR back from them on Monday. I got the semi-gloss coating. The CFR was Robert's old one which started out chrome. I paid them to strip the chrome before they coated it. Well, they didn't. I emailed and called them, and they were quick to respond. I told them I couldn't send it back in for fear that they wouldn't be back in time for the rally. It only took them two weeks turn around time the first time, but Steph needs some riding time on the DX before they rally. They are going to pay for FedEx to pick them up when I am ready to send them back and reacoat them at no charge to me.

As far as the finish, in the areas where it was smooth and prepped right, it looks good. It is in between the Denim stripe and the Vivid frame as for shinyness. (is that a word?) The biggest bitch I have about it is that it is VERY easy to scratch. Let's face it, after time, you are gonna scratch it. I did just putting them on. The thing is, they are not as resilient. When you scratch them, the scratch appears in a lighter shade of black than the coating color. It is not like you scratch it, and while there is a scratch in it, it still stays the same color. If that makes any sense.... Hope this helps.

·
Lifetime Member
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ddavis said:
Funny you should ask! I just received my DX heatshields and a CFR back from them on Monday. I got the semi-gloss coating. The CFR was Robert's old one which started out chrome. I paid them to strip the chrome before they coated it. Well, they didn't. I emailed and called them, and they were quick to respond. I told them I couldn't send it back in for fear that they wouldn't be back in time for the rally. It only took them two weeks turn around time the first time, but Steph needs some riding time on the DX before they rally. They are going to pay for FedEx to pick them up when I am ready to send them back and reacoat them at no charge to me.

As far as the finish, in the areas where it was smooth and prepped right, it looks good. It is in between the Denim stripe and the Vivid frame as for shinyness. (is that a word?) The biggest bitch I have about it is that it is VERY easy to scratch. Let's face it, after time, you are gonna scratch it. I did just putting them on. The thing is, they are not as resilient. When you scratch them, the scratch appears in a lighter shade of black than the coating color. It is not like you scratch it, and while there is a scratch in it, it still stays the same color. If that makes any sense.... Hope this helps.
It does help, how pricey was it for the pipe and the heatshields, if you don't mind?

·
Darren
2,007 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if it would be a good idea to have someone strip them to raw before sending them up?

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
LIUNARep said:
I wonder if it would be a good idea to have someone strip them to raw before sending them up?
If you got access to have them stripped I would say yes. But then again they are suppose to do that if you ask and pay for it....:deal:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
the headers on my camaro were coated by Jet-Hot...i've had them for five years + now and they have not peeled or flaked at all. the coating doesn't look like chrome, but for how little i've put into keeping them shiny they still look really nice :thumb:

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
i have high temp powders but only about 5 colors and they are all flat

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
I went to a local swap meet last weekend and ran across a couple guys starting up with ceramic coating. Their stuff on display looked great and they gave me a quote of $130 for drag-style pipes. Best part (for me) is they are about 10 miles away. Anyway, another alternative to anyone interested in this.

http://www.coolconceptspc.com/

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had a very bad experiance with Jet Hot. The coating itself was great, but they lost my header pipe to my 06 Honda RC51 and would not fess up to.
I was told I would have my parts back in a week (I paid extra for next day shipping both ways). After a month I started calling but getting no where with them. They finally sent my parts back by ground (not next day like I paid for). All the parts were coated and looked good but the header pipe was for a 2000/2001 RC51, not a 2006 like I took off my bike and sent them.
Needless to say I was pissed, they insisted they sent me what I had sent them, I even sent pics because the pipe they sent me did not fit my bike.
So it cost me $1200 for a new exhaust system.
I will never deal with them again, and good luck to those that do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts