Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
Not having much luck here with the search facility, so what I would like to know is, is the Harley Syn-3 oil which can replace all oils, i.e. engine, transmission, and primary, in other harleys, suitable for use in the V-rod motors where its all combined. Don't trust calling a dealer for this info to be honest.!!!
thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
The dealers will recommend changing to Syn-3 at the first oil change and they'll also try to sell you chrome oil filters when the black ones work just as well, cost about $4 less, and look just as good in the trash when you throw them away.

Many folk will tell you that Syn-3 ain't all The MOCO and dealers tout it to be. I am one of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put Syn-3 Oil in my 09 Muscle and haven't regretted it since. I feel better putting Harley recommended products into my bike, granted you pay out the nose for it, but it gives me some peace of mind.

·
Captain DeadPool
660 Posts
I use royal purple 20-50...I use to use mobile 1, but then I saw a demo for the purple stuff compared to mobile 1 in person and I was super impressed....I put royal purple in every thing I own now. Until i see how well amsoil works in the same type of test, I will stick to the purple stuff.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
the syn3 oil is ok, theres been plenty that use it with great success but personally i like amsoil. theres a couple dealers for amsoil on here and you can get it shipped to your door for about the same price the dealer will sell you syn3.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
SYN-3 is not 100% synthetic. My bike use to drink it like water. I use Amsoil now, and no more problems.

·
Registered
962 Posts
i used Syn3 and it used oil loads ! there were loads of posts on this forum saying that because syn3 was not a true syn oil the weights will seperate and the lighter will burn off , hence using oil !

i have Amsoil in mine now and it has stopped using oil ! so there must be some truth to this.

i would not use syn3 , but Motul or Putoline as over here its Ester based and from good base stock and its prob half the price of syn3

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Amsoil all the way...

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
My bike shifted better after switching from SYN-3 to AMSOIL.
Add one more to the list of Amsoil believers.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
SYN-3 is not 100% synthetic. My bike use to drink it like water. I use Amsoil now, and no more problems.
Mine did the same...I changed to Syn3 on the first oil change and it drank oil all the way up to when I changed to AMSOIL @5K mark. The rings seated great after that and no more added oil between oil changes....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks for all the replies guys, will have to decide what to use soon.
I have no-problem in getting Amsoil, I have a stockist around only 3-miles from my door, its more expensive than the Syn-3, but it looks like the majority goes with the Amsoil.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
its more expensive than the Syn-3, but it looks like the majority goes with the Amsoil.
Amsoil states that you can double the mileage between oil changes.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I didn't like syn-3 either, switched to Mobil 1. Much better. Amsoil next, filters and oil.

·
NXS STREET MACHINES
16 Posts
After I broke my bike in I used the syn 3, I absolutely think it's CRAP! My bike drank it like water. I brought my bike to the dealer and they wanted to do a teardown (under warranty), but after so many bad experiences with the one local dealer (red rock harley) I decided to try amsoil, after two oil changes my bike does not drink oil anymore. I wrote to Harley back a couple of months ago and still haven't had any response. I quess Harley knows it's crap too.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
1. Amsoil
2. Mobile 1
3. Royal Purple
4. Rotella
5. Piss
6. Syn 3

:2cents:

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Baby Oil is best, squeezed from big fat babies.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts