Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and they retain their value!"

I keep hearing this? But how can this be. You can get vrods for 6-12k easily with little or no miles?

SPortsters? laughable what you can get them at.

Isnt an INVESTMENT something that gains money?

I know the economy has play here, but other bike values arent nearly as bad. Or has HD finally come to the point where people realize there is better tech at lower prices?

·
Out of time....
98 Posts

I keep hearing this? But how can this be. You can get vrods for 6-12k easily with little or no miles?

I know the economy has play here, but other bike values arent nearly as bad. Or has HD finally come to the point where people realize there is better tech at lower prices?
From what I have read I would say it is the last point you make. Other manufactures are making bikes that are very nice at a lower price point.

I for one had a 1200 Sportster Custom.. sold it and bought a 1970 Triumph Bonnieville. Sold it and bought a 2005 Speedmaster 900 and I am about to go back to HD with a V-Rod.

I have wanted a V-Rod for some time but I feel now is the time as your are correct.. I see V-Rods and other Harleys going for a "reasonable" amount on eBay or Craigslist.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is no "investment" value when buying any form of transportation, unless you are going to bring it home wrap it up, put it in the garage and let your great great grandchildren sell it. The "investment" is really the fun you get out of it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I keep waiting for the day when some 18-20 y/o see's my bike and has to have it. I'll make him a good deal :deal: and get rid of it in a heartbeat

·
Registered
878 Posts
There is no "investment" value when buying any form of transportation, unless you are going to bring it home wrap it up, put it in the garage and let your great great grandchildren sell it. The "investment" is really the fun you get out of it.
:them: its a toy, and i dont know many toys that maintain their value very well.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Its a Garbage Salesman ploy so when you go in Wide Eyed with the Wife in Tow wanting to Join the Harley Gang and drooling like an idiot at the shirts and jackets and she is wanting a HD this and That they will sell you so many lines of crap that you would think the dealership would stink of shite 24/7. (When they give you your "Free Year of HOG" you just about piss yourself.)
Mass Produced Toy= No Value. Go ask some Boat owners how things are.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Its a Garbage Salesman ploy so when you go in Wide Eyed with the Wife in Tow wanting to Join the Harley Gang and drooling like an idiot at the shirts and jackets and she is wanting a HD this and That they will sell you so many lines of crap that you would think the dealership would stink of shite 24/7. (When they give you your "Free Year of HOG" you just about piss yourself.)
Mass Produced Toy= No Value. Go ask some Boat owners how things are.
RVs too... I've been looking at Diesel Pusher RVs, they were $250K+ new 3 years ago now going for $100K.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
...Go ask some Boat owners how things are.
Although I think I spend less on maintenance and my own fuel then I would have in charter fees so maybe I can get a bean counter to reconcile it that way????

IMHO no toy is an investment but look at how much a 10 year old bikes are from what I have seen the Harley will be worth more then the metric will be BUT neither has been a profitable purchase and never will be unless you do as previously mentioned and and buy it properly store it and then let your grand kids roll it out to sell it for what is seemingly a profit, was it really profitable to buy a 70's muscle car new for 3500 bux and then sell it for 25,000 30 years later considering how much inflation we have had???

While you talking collectible investments how are those Nascar plates on your shelf doin'???

·
Registered
731 Posts

Pretty much spot on. Now if you had, say, a 1936 Knucklehead EL wrapped in saran wrap from day 1 in the garage, I will GUARANTEE you that you will get more for it today than Great Grandpa paid for it back in the day.

Toadays models, not till you are dead and gone, if then.

Phatass

·
Banned
14,891 Posts

There was a time when re-sale was ridiculously close to sticker. Even trade-ins were righteous. Early 90's to somewhere around 2004 it was peaking. We would trade-in a 4-5 year old bike with 25-30K, put a few G's with it and get the brand new model. Many times too, it was part of the lure and well documented. Those days are gone with the bad economy, for ALL manufacturers resale. Even Acura has felt the effects.
You probably heard someone talking about their experience back then and they are outta the game now.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
If you enjoy the bike, or any bike for that matter, it is a great investment. I have been places that I otherwise would not go and have met people that I would have never met. If you are speaking of a financial investment, then don't buy a vehicle that you intend on driving the wheels off of. If you have a Vrod then that s the general intent. I did not buy mine to put it up and look at for 25 years. If you do, then I'm sure you will make money off of it.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Although I think I spend less on maintenance and my own fuel then I would have in charter fees so maybe I can get a bean counter to reconcile it that way????

IMHO no toy is an investment but look at how much a 10 year old bikes are from what I have seen the Harley will be worth more then the metric will be BUT neither has been a profitable purchase and never will be unless you do as previously mentioned and and buy it properly store it and then let your grand kids roll it out to sell it for what is seemingly a profit, was it really profitable to buy a 70's muscle car new for 3500 bux and then sell it for 25,000 30 years later considering how much inflation we have had???

While you talking collectible investments how are those Nascar plates on your shelf doin'???
That would be about a 7% return on your money. Inflation generally is about 3% but varies by the year. So you would have made out but storage and maintenance costs would have eaten up the profits.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
was it really profitable to buy a 70's muscle car new for 3500 bux and then sell it for 25,000 30 years later considering how much inflation we have had???
From investment point of view, the more sensible move is to buy those '70 muscle car TODAY at $25K. I'd buy a 67 camaro ss for $40K instead of 2011 camaro ss for the same price. Assuming the condition stays the same, at any given time the '67 will always have more value than the '11.

put all money aside, both cars are panty droppers :D

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
That way of thinking came about from when a person would have to get on a waiting list to get a Harley. People got tired of waiting and wanted a bike so they would pay top dollar for a used one. The MOCO saw this and stepped up production so anybody that wanted a new one and had the cash or that could get a loan (sub prime loan also) could get a new one. Step in bad economy and prices have dropped. Also the V-ROD being the red headed step child is on life support from year to year as far as production goes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
One thing is for sure................

You never seem to get the money you put into the bike or even a quad in extras back again. I built up a Yamaha Banshee with a Trinity motor that would only run on aviation fuel and had carbon fiber rims, pipes, graphics yada, yada, yada and I lost my ass on the deal when I sold it and it's my own stupid fault. At my age I had no reason to build a quad that would have me shaking for a half an hour every time I took it for a ride. The thing was so fast it became scary when you were into the pipes hard, even on the road. The same goes with V Rods and all bikes for that matter. We dump $10G+ in extra goodies into our bikes and rarely will we ever recover that expense when we sell the bike and that's why I believe that buying a bike with all that stuff already on it and yet still has low mileage is the best deal there is. Granted there is nothing like the joy of buying a new V Rod but when you can buy a bike that you're absolutely sure has no problems, know the previous owner and it already has the custom seat, pipes, intake, fueler, lights, paint job, alarm, chrome everything, trick wheels and suspension etc, etc, etc then you make out in the deal. Until I come into a boatload of "Mad Money" I will probably always buy used because it just makes more financial sense in my opinion.
Respectfully,
Ed

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You never seem to get the money you put into the bike or even a quad in extras back again. I built up a Yamaha Banshee with a Trinity motor that would only run on aviation fuel and had carbon fiber rims, pipes, graphics yada, yada, yada and I lost my ass on the deal when I sold it and it's my own stupid fault. At my age I had no reason to build a quad that would have me shaking for a half an hour every time I took it for a ride. The thing was so fast it became scary when you were into the pipes hard, even on the road. The same goes with V Rods and all bikes for that matter. We dump $10G+ in extra goodies into our bikes and rarely will we ever recover that expense when we sell the bike and that's why I believe that buying a bike with all that stuff already on it and yet still has low mileage is the best deal there is. Granted there is nothing like the joy of buying a new V Rod but when you can buy a bike that you're absolutely sure has no problems, know the previous owner and it already has the custom seat, pipes, intake, fueler, lights, paint job, alarm, chrome everything, trick wheels and suspension etc, etc, etc then you make out in the deal. Until I come into a boatload of "Mad Money" I will probably always buy used because it just makes more financial sense in my opinion.
Respectfully,
Ed
My brother was building TF thousand cc Banchi's back when the money was good.The guys w the fast ones,(low 4's), made fortunes @ 20 grand every eighth mile pass.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts