Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
June 6th, 0730pm-9pm /2100: my mechanic visited my shop to mount wheels ,fresh front & rear rubber & rebuilt front fork. Replaced dead battery.
June 7th: started packing. Started building modified "MegaZ pillion rack" out of scrap aluminum.
June 8th, 3:30pm/1530 : stowed second vrod in seabin. Finished the rack, loaded up bags, fueled.
Left Santa Cruz,CA for the Mason Dixon line.
....June 9th 12:30am/0030 Barstow hotel. 450 miles.

Attachments

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recap of yesterdays 8 hour run . At the 100 mile mark ,I slipped through Pacheco pass and slowed down and watch a Bald Eagle glide over head . After San Luis reservoir and creek, high winds picked up and I fought them for the next six hours .
I'll down a few pints of water ,then head out into the Mojave desert in an hour . I'll keep drinking water throughout this trip, because it's very easy to get dehydrated . Last night , my urine was condensed n orange . TMI :)

The hotel is a few hundred feet from railroad tracks ,so I heard trains rumbling through the desert like thunder all night ....argh .

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bagged down...

Damn, got that thing packed down like a mule ... hehehe

Ride Safe and enjoy the trip
Left bag gallon gas can, one MSR bottle and one quart oil.
Right bag has boxer shorts and sox and rain gear and water bottles . Every 24 hours I'll lighten my load. Under garments are disposable. ...because theres no time to do laundry . Backpack holds next 24 hours of clothes.
This rack is built to haul heavy loads . My bags only weigh 30 lbs . For those with pillion base plate , I've saved the pattern to take to the machine shop .

Attachments

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Needles to Lake Havasu

Error ...after reviewing a snapshot .... stayed in Ludlow last night . Im now at Needles Marina and a lush green golf course in the middle of nowhere . Great to see a body of water . Anyhow , I've found it best to launch at 9am, so the sun is above my eyebrow .

Attachments

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Lake Havasu...view

Since Lake Havasu frontage is hotter then Hell in the sun , I spent lunch in the cool watering hole on the hill . College Street Brewhouse &Pub has a great view of the lake .

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
Haay Har.
I'm leaving in 2 weeks from NH to Utah to Saskatchewan etc.
With minimum effort, we could cross paths & split a ginger ale...
Where will you be on the 24th of June?
Thanx for sharing kid.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
my schedule...

Haay Har.
I'm leaving in 2 weeks from NH to Utah to Saskatchewan etc.
With minimum effort, we could cross paths & split a ginger ale...
Where will you be on the 24th of June?
Thanx for sharing kid.
I'm on track to get to the Mason Dixon line before June 22nd. Perhaps we can meetup on my second northerly round trip in September.

Now I need to figure how to get past the wild fire smoke out???
Ive been resting in Sedona AZ after hiking the Grand Canyon.
I may follow these beemer mule packin guides.

Attachments

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wild fires smoke...

I need to find roads that bypass the wild fire smoke .
The DRAGON is on my bucket list , so I'll get ur dun on this run.
I'm mounting the GoPro now .

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stayed in Albuquerque,NM last night. I'm now in Armadillo TX. CRAZY drivers can't even obey 75 mph and in a hurry to go nowhere . One sped in front of me , slowed and then abruptly braked for road kill . I rode over the fresh carcass . That reminds me , I better check my air intakes.
Anyway HOOTERS bar & grill is in eye sight and it's happy hour. So Im curious to see if the saying " everything is big in Texas " is true :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Harleynurse,

Nice to see your getting cross country safely and enjoying the updates!!
Take care, I will be looking again tomorrow for your newest adventure.

Jony 5

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
Are u turning back at the mason dixon or headed north to new York?

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
in the wind...

Are u turning back at the mason dixon or headed north to new York?
Ive absolutely no idea what route I'm taking to the Stateline. Where abouts of New York state ? I'll be flying back to Cali and returning to MD /PA with my second DX asap . Not sure of the time frame . Anyhow , I'll be settling on the east coast ....and look forward to meeting up in the future .

Recap backtrack : while touring Arizona....I managed to catch the tailend of The AZ HOG rally in Williams,AZ (60 miles from Grand Canyon). I'm not a HOG member , just an observer :) . Grand Canyon Brewery rocks ! Not certain if my drunken camera phone took pix ...I'll check .

I'm now at Woodward, Oklahoma . THANKGOD the OKC Thunder beat the Miami HEAT or the redneck natives would've been restless. I'm planning to visit famous bike builder Jerry Covington in the AM .

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm now in Tulsa, Oklahoma @ Riverside Drive resting . I've been through four states in four days and havent seen any other motocyclist wearing helmets, yet the insects are out in force . The bikers have been looking at me as if I'm an alien . My whole helmet & shield is splattered with bug juice . Within 15 minutes after cleaning , the shield is juiced again. At 75 mph those bugs can do damage .
In comparison , the central California coast has no bugs , but must wear helmets .

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Occ

NYC & upstate a bit. you plan on going to O.C.C.?
Orange County Choppers is nothing but drama cry babies. Ive been gifted a set of OCC DVD's and I'll probably regift'em.

Anyhow , I did drop by Covington Cycle in Woodward ,Oklahoma. Heres one with a vintage 2002 VRSCA headlight with cool gauges.

Attachments

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
Ive absolutely no idea what route I'm taking to the Stateline. Where abouts of New York state ? I'll be flying back to Cali and returning to MD /PA with my second DX asap . Not sure of the time frame . Anyhow , I'll be settling on the east coast ....and look forward to meeting up in the future .

Recap backtrack : while touring Arizona....I managed to catch the tailend of The AZ HOG rally in Williams,AZ (60 miles from Grand Canyon). I'm not a HOG member , just an observer :) . Grand Canyon Brewery rocks ! Not certain if my drunken camera phone took pix ...I'll check .

I'm now at Woodward, Oklahoma . THANKGOD the OKC Thunder beat the Miami HEAT or the redneck natives would've been restless. I'm planning to visit famous bike builder Jerry Covington in the AM .

What part of the East will you live?
You might need to change your profile...

It's tough not doing it when you've done it legally.
HappyTrails

Attachments

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lane-splitter...

What part of the East will you live?
You might need to change your profile...

It's tough not doing it when you've done it legally.
HappyTrails
My new home is near Maryland & Pennsylvania Stateline .....Washington County
Regional airport.
Yeah, I'm making alot of lifestyle changes by relocating east. No lanesplitting , no legal pot smoking :) etc...

As for changing my avatar .. . .I've got that one coming soon .
My current avatar will be up for auction and proceeds go to fallen rider charity.

Heres my collection of Oklahoma bugs . Im now bedding down in Arkansas somewhere?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 77 Posts