Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
V-Hog Virgin
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, been a Sportbike rider for some time but recently bought an 04 V Rod. I love the bike but have to say I'm a bit confused about something??

Why has H-D not adopted more of the technology that is out there as far as motorcycles go? I mean our V Rods have far more technology then the normal air-cooled twins Harley uses but come on.....our brakes suck, engines don't idle all that well, shit rattles or vibrates loose, suspensions are poor....etc.

Just curious if anyone else feels that H-D could put more into the bikes as far as technology. Heck look at their kick ass paint sets....amazing stuff. I think they could if they wanted too.
 

·
Sanctimonious
Joined
·
44,118 Posts
Brakes got much better in 05-06 with Brembos and all the other shite is what Other HD riders are used to and consider Heritage. "Hey bra if it don't leak oil on the showroom flo' it aint a hog". (Its that mindset that lest them keep releasing the same shite every year with a new Shiney piece that they all run to have)
 

·
I'm Bored
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
Matte220 said:
Why has H-D not adopted more of the technology that is out there as far as motorcycles go? I mean our V Rods have far more technology then the normal air-cooled twins Harley uses but come on.....our brakes suck, engines don't idle all that well, shit rattles or vibrates loose, suspensions are poor....etc.

Just curious if anyone else feels that H-D could put more into the bikes as far as technology. Heck look at their kick ass paint sets....amazing stuff. I think they could if they wanted too.
Well they don't adopt more recent technology because the majority of harley buyers LOVE the idea of being propelled around on a 1930's design. The brakes suck for being on a v-rod but on a road king (same brakes mind you) they stop the 67 hp machine amazingly well during parades. We aren't interested in an engine that idles well; we just don't want to lose the "potatopotato" sound that we've grown to love over the past 80 or so years. Items rattling and vibrating loose do so intentionally to keep us from falling over due to excessive boredom on a ride. They also provide us something to fix as none of us have real social lives and have to stay close to home for parole reasons. You sure are right about the paint though!! I can't wait to see what color next year will bring for the old, non-stopping, poor idling, rattling and vibrating, exciting "new' models!
 

·
The Engineer
Joined
·
316 Posts
Been thinking the same for 20 years.

The V-Rod was a nice surprise when it came out in '01, but let's face it - the technology was a decade old (or better) already. I love mine though.

That's the MoCo - don't fix what the masses say isn't broken.
 

·
Sanctimonious
Joined
·
44,118 Posts
Strokerswild said:
Been thinking the same for 20 years.

The V-Rod was a nice surprise when it came out in '01, but let's face it - the technology was a decade old (or better) already. I love mine though.

That's the MoCo - don't fix what the masses say isn't broken.
They did fix most of it and the Old Men turned their backs on it.
"Ah them talkin' movies will never catch on"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
I'm sorry but I disagree!! I have ridden Hondas for the past 10 years, and I would say our Vrod is on par especially the 06-08 models. The brakes are fantastic Brembos. I love how my R has steel braided lines right from the factory for great feel. The forks are made by Showa which is owned by Honda and I have never has a problem with forks leaking or anything like that. The paint smokes anything that is coming out of Japan. My Honda
RC51 which is a V-twin sportbike vibrated more then the Vrod. We have dual overhead cam engines w/ for valves per cylinder, which is what most bike from Japan are running. And I love the fit and finish on my bike!! Plus now the 08 bikes have the 02 sensors and a slipper clutch, even ABS as an option.

And finally the most important, if people would tighten things up on their bikes stuff would not fall off!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
Matte220 said:
Ok, been a Sportbike rider for some time but recently bought an 04 V Rod. I love the bike but have to say I'm a bit confused about something??

Why has H-D not adopted more of the technology that is out there as far as motorcycles go? I mean our V Rods have far more technology then the normal air-cooled twins Harley uses but come on.....our brakes suck, engines don't idle all that well, shit rattles or vibrates loose, suspensions are poor....etc.

Just curious if anyone else feels that H-D could put more into the bikes as far as technology. Heck look at their kick ass paint sets....amazing stuff. I think they could if they wanted too.
Just a few years ago, Harley was selling all they could make. Thats changing. The japanese have started selling some pretty good copies of the HD bikes (Look at the Yamaha Stars) and Harley is going to have to keep up. I agree they can design a better bike. However as Lux and Sgtrage have already said their buyers aren't interested in high tech nor are the dealers that have to support them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
They may build a bike like a Harley Davidson, but it isn't a Harley Davidson
 

·
Sanctimonious
Joined
·
44,118 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
They may build a bike like a Harley Davidson, but it isn't a Harley Davidson
Now there is an HD shirt I would wear. (as long as it didnt have all the eagles and flags and dragons and smoke and fire and skulls and rainbow bright etc.. that all the crappy HD shirts have on them)
 

·
Thread Killer
Joined
·
4,567 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
They may build a bike like a Harley Davidson, but it isn't a Harley Davidson
Amen Brotha!!!!:notworth:
 

·
V's and Z's
Joined
·
4,093 Posts
I have a CBR600 F3 and I never ride it anymore.
 

·
Sanctimonious
Joined
·
44,118 Posts
luxlamf said:
Now there is an HD shirt I would wear. (as long as it didnt have all the eagles and flags and dragons and smoke and fire and skulls and rainbow bright etc.. that all the crappy HD shirts have on them)
Oh and Pheasants and bleach.
 

·
V-Hog Virgin
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well sounds like the newer models have come around some then. :)
I will completely agree, the paint is is far better on an H-D then anything Japan produces!

JDR_ROD said:
I'm sorry but I disagree!! I have ridden Hondas for the past 10 years, and I would say our Vrod is on par especially the 06-08 models. The brakes are fantastic Brembos. I love how my R has steel braided lines right from the factory for great feel. The forks are made by Showa which is owned by Honda and I have never has a problem with forks leaking or anything like that. The paint smokes anything that is coming out of Japan. My Honda
RC51 which is a V-twin sportbike vibrated more then the Vrod. We have dual overhead cam engines w/ for valves per cylinder, which is what most bike from Japan are running. And I love the fit and finish on my bike!! Plus now the 08 bikes have the 02 sensors and a slipper clutch, even ABS as an option.

And finally the most important, if people would tighten things up on their bikes stuff would not fall off!!!
 

·
Dave
Joined
·
248 Posts
MurphysLaw said:
Just a few years ago, Harley was selling all they could make. Thats changing. The japanese have started selling some pretty good copies of the HD bikes (Look at the Yamaha Stars) and Harley is going to have to keep up. I agree they can design a better bike. However as Lux and Sgtrage have already said their buyers aren't interested in high tech nor are the dealers that have to support them.
Funny you mention that. My father just bought a new Yamaha Star for 10k out the door with more stuff than my VROD. I told him to enjoy his bike because it would have cost him 23K if it had an HD label on it. The irony is he just put new pipes on it so it would sound like a Harley. I still wouldn't trade!
 

·
V-Hog Virgin
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MegaZ said:
I have a CBR600 F3 and I never ride it anymore.
I actually ride my GSX-R1000 more now then before I bought the V Rod as I love how completely different each bike feels. Only problem I have is that first time I squeeze the radial brakes on the Gixxer after riding the V, it actually stops me and about launches me over the front end. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Matte220 said:
I actually ride my GSX-R1000 more now then before I bought the V Rod as I love how completely different each bike feels. Only problem I have is that first time I squeeze the radial brakes on the Gixxer after riding the V, it actually stops me and about launches me over the front end. LOL
I sold my R6 shortly after getting my Night Rod, but I hear ya on the brakes issue. After riding my D, the R6 felt like it weighed nothing ... and I, too, almost threw myself off the front when I hit the brakes. Sportbikes and the V-Rods are night and day.

As for the Japan vs America topic, I bought my Night Rod because I wanted a cruiser with power and refinement. The Honda VTX 1800 is way too big (IMO), the Mean Streak is more 'show' than 'go', and the Warrior is cool - but can't touch the performance of the V-Rod. So, in that respect, I felt the HD was superior to the Japanese competition.
 

·
Thread Killer
Joined
·
4,567 Posts
What is that old saying: Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
91Vette said:
I sold my R6 shortly after getting my Night Rod, but I hear ya on the brakes issue. After riding my D, the R6 felt like it weighed nothing ... and I, too, almost threw myself off the front when I hit the brakes. Sportbikes and the V-Rods are night and day.

No brainer since the Vrods weigh twice as much.. I wish you could see me ride my Street Rod w/ some old sportbike friends. She brakes straight and true on the twisties!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
They may build a bike like a Harley Davidson, but it isn't a Harley Davidson
Like JDR and Lux, :them: As long as we dont talk about slippers again, LOL.;)
 
1 - 20 of 274 Posts
Top