Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me say this first---I've owned two Harleys and totally enjoy the bikes, but don't consider myself to be the stereotypical follower. By follower you can probably imagine the type without me having to waste a lot of space going into it.

But one thing I notice is that people will come over to my VRSCF and look at it out of the corner of their eye trying not to make it obvious, but then act like they don't see it (or are looking at something else). It almost pains them to pay it a compliment. As an example my buddy and I went out riding the other day and pulled into a biker bar. He was on his Ultra Classic. Well, the other bikers slowly started their walk over to us to check us out, and not one of them would even glance at my bike until I went into the restaurant---pretty comical. One guy did say, "Ohhh that's a Vrod."

So why is it that these guys have to do crap like that?

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
david in 3...2...1...

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
IMO they care too much about what their buddies think of them to say what they really think. I get compliments on mine all the time, out of the corner of their mouth. (in a whisper) Psssst! Hey man, nice bike. It cracks me up.

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
In all honesty, I do the same to the air-cooled bikes, especially the Geezer Glides. I have zero interest in Heritage this and ElectraGlide that.

Different strokes for different folks. If you have a VR, of any kind, get some thick skin.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
he's on vacation....

HD airheads don't own a monopoly on stupidity, we just seem to notice them more often.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha ha ha...too funny guys. You pretty much confirmed what I thought. I'll go back to sleep now:)

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I take pride in my oddities and my personal quirks.

:them:

I'v noticed that if I take my old BMW K-100RS to the Harley dealer for a parts run, it often draws compliments. If I take the Street Rod, people react as if I just unzipped my fly and shook my willie at them. I laugh, as I really do not care, but it is very funny to observe.
The crowd at the Harley dealer will claim it's "just a crotch rocket", just, not a "real Harley", while at the BMW dealer the crowd there will scoff that it's "just a cruiser", while left unsaid is the natural follow on to that statement that cruisers are for loosers. Interesting social dynamics.

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Jealousy..... pure jealousy!!!!

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I see about 3 main groups of people on HDs. The Sunday ride types in vests with millions of various patches. They go places I don't so I rarely interact with them. Banditos, usually out of uniform because a lot of place frown on that. They usually mind their own business and whipser to each other about who knows what kind of foolishness. And the third group who just like to ride and are individuals. They never have anything bad to say.

You must be more often around the first type. I recommend finding a better place to hang out.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You must be extremely prideful.
I am.:notworth:
I do like vehicles that are different in one way or another,or completely unique like the VRSC line is.i wish I could afford more of them.
You guys should have seen,and heard the question from the people at the local dealer when I pulled up on a street legal Honda 50 to buy my first V-Rod.The particular one I was on that day will cruise @ 65mph and has seen a top speed of 80 for short bursts.
I'm actually in the process of refurbishing 2 of them before they waste away,and so I can cruise them again.
My 2-4's V-8 engines are just as unique.Those came about when I was young and learned not many people could tune 2 4bbls for the street.

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
There will always be idiots no matter where you go. The yupster types, the 1%er's and the people that just like to have fun and ride. The third mentioned are the kind of people I hangout with.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
In all honesty, I do the same to the air-cooled bikes, especially the Geezer Glides. I have zero interest in Heritage this and ElectraGlide that.

Different strokes for different folks. If you have a VR, of any kind, get some thick skin.
EXACTLY! I wouldn't expect a guy on a bagger to like my bike and am not surprised when he doesn't. Again I think people look for compliments to much.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
EXACTLY! I wouldn't expect a guy on a bagger to like my bike and am not surprised when he doesn't. Again I think people look for compliments to much.
Yeah, I agree. Ride what you like.

Just in passing, Harleys sell on being "traditional." If it ain't a pushrod, forked conrod 45 degree air cooled V twin with lousy power but (supposedly) lots of torque it ain't no good (nor American). At least that's the line Harley sold them, and picked up big wonga in return.

Not surprisingly they see a DOHC 8 valve 60 degree watercooled V twin pushing out 100BHP/litre as a bit of a betrayal. Harley Speak With Forked Tongue.

Oh well, like I care.

They win though, I think. V-Rods get cheaper every year and soon enough it won't be worth making them. Shame. I like them.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
While there are many HD snobs, hated even by other HD owners, I have a few "old sckool kool" biker friends who love my 07 D just as much as I love their Shovelheads.

I ride with a varied group of old HD, newer HD and metrics of all sizes and shapes. There are even a few Cam-Am Spyders and Rewaco Trikes in the crowd every week. We ride most every day, with bigger group rides on weekends.

ANY bike is welcome and if you are a HD snob you will quickly be berated into compliance....lol

That being said....I firmly believe that pushing a Harley is better than riding a Metric...IMHO...LMAO

By the way....I'm the guy in the black leathers with the patches all over his vest...lol

·
Free Wheelin'
241 Posts
I see about 3 main groups of people on HDs. The Sunday ride types in vests with millions of various patches. They go places I don't so I rarely interact with them. Banditos, usually out of uniform because a lot of place frown on that. They usually mind their own business and whipser to each other about who knows what kind of foolishness. And the third group who just like to ride and are individuals. They never have anything bad to say.

You must be more often around the first type. I recommend finding a better place to hang out.
My sentiments exactly. When I was in Eureka Springs, Missouri a few weeks ago, I rode with two of my friends who were on sport bikes. When we were blasting through the countryside, and I was leading the pack, Airheads would wave at me until they noticed the two Suzuki GSXRs in-tow. Then they just looked angry and judged me with their looks of derision.

I don't care what you ride. If you're cool, you're perfectly welcome to ride with me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts