Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,
I finally have the Harley radio all connected (just temporarily to check operation) and have a question about the calibration.

Everything works...handlebar switches, etc. and of course I get the annoying beep every couple of seconds to let me know that the radio needs to be calibrated.

I understand that I have to take the bike to a dealership so they can hook THE BIKE up to a computer to calibrate the radio, but in looking at my wiring, I don't see how the dealership computer is going to access the radio through the bike's ECM...(IF that's what it does).

I mean...
I have constant power going to pins 10 and 20 on the 23 pin BAC connector.

I will have pin 12 connected to power that only comes on when the ignition is on.

...but I can't see how hooking up a computer to the bike's ECM is going to reach the radio through these connections.

Now, I can tell you that I DID NOT connect pin #9 which my diagram states "Speed Signal/Interconnect 156B*" because I have no idea what it's for or where to find that wire on the bike.

Could this be the wire the dealership will need to have connected?...or does the dealership simply get a code from my bike and then somehow program it into the radio?

I guess I'd have a much better idea of how this works if I knew what took place at the dealership. I just don't want to button everything up and take it to get calibrated if there's a wire I didn't connect that their computer will need to reach the radio through the ECM.

Thanks!
Russ

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Russ I just had mine calibrated and whatever they did, I was told that the tech had to use something from an air cooled Bagger to complete the calibration process because one for a V-Rod did not exist.

I bought a used 2008 Harmon Kardon online and it crapped out this summer.

I found out from Big Rich here on the Forum that a program exists for refurbishing these HD HK radios. You send yours in and they send back a refurbished one. Apparently this has to be done by the dealer.

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
This is just a guess but the
"Speed Signal/Interconnect 156B*"
may be pin 8 out of your instrument panel (VSS Out). This is a industry standard interface to the bikes Speed sensor so after market manufacturers can have access to the speed of the bike. It is used fro aftermarket Cruise control etc that require knowledge of how fast the bike is traveling. In your case your radio increases volume based on the speed of the bike so you can hear it at high speeds.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is just a guess but the may be pin 8 out of your instrument panel (VSS Out). This is a industry standard interface to the bikes Speed sensor so after market manufacturers can have access to the speed of the bike. It is used fro aftermarket Cruise control etc that require knowledge of how fast the bike is traveling. In your case your radio increases volume based on the speed of the bike so you can hear it at high speeds.
Thanks...I have a call into a guy that might be able to shed some light on this. The whole thing is weird though...I had a guy tell me tonight that if I would have purchased a USED radio, I wouldn't have to get it calibrated...Harley dealerships tell me that the reason you have to get it calibrated is so the unit can't be stolen and used in other bikes...tell me those two things make sense...LOL!

All I'm really trying to figure out is.......what do they do when they calibrate a radio? If they hook up a computer somewhere on my bike and think they're gonna somehow "reach" the radio...it's not gonna happen.

Have a call into a Harley tech and I may even try a place like ironcrossaudio...somebody must know for sure.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thought I'd post an update here...

Apparently, the radio gets it's info from that J1850 line? Anyway, I was told that even if I did have that connection made from the bike to the radio, the computer at the dealership would still probably not be able to calibrate the radio. I guess when the computer recognizes the ECM as being from a VRod, there would be no option to calibrate a radio since an audio system is not a VRod accessory.

Soooo, I had two options...
#1. Have the dealership install my radio in a FLHT, FLTR, or any bike that has the option for audio and have it calibrated and then taken out. They wanted to charge me 2 hours of labor for this since they'd have to remove a fairing from a bike, install the radio, take it out, and then replace the fairing to a tune of about $132.00. I was hoping they'd just say, "We just happen to have a bike here we're working on that has the fairing off of it right now," but no such luck.

#2. Send the radio to Tony at Iron Cross Audio and have them calibrate it without a bike. You tell them what options you want programmed in and for $75.00, they'll do it for you.

Obviously, the radio is on its way to Iron Cross.

What one dealership told me about the calibration being a theft deterrent was not true. You don't have to do any of this with a used radio...unless of course you want other options programmed in like rear speakers, XM, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
Did Iron Cross tell why the thing needs "calibration" and what this procedure does?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did Iron Cross tell why the thing needs "calibration" and what this procedure does?
Well, I can tell you first hand why MINE needs calibrated...it makes this AWFUL, LOUD, beeping sound every two or three seconds and the screen keeps saying that it needs to be calibrated!...LOL!

Really though, being a HAM radio operator, I don't think I would call what they do "calibrating." When I think of calibrating, I think of VFO's, digital read outs, etc.

I would call what they do more "programming" than anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts