Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooo... I've been following threads on other HD forums about the new Harley 120R engine... 130+HP/130+TQ on any 6-speed TwinCam bikes for 5 grand. are VROD doomed? what do you think?

·
Registered
821 Posts
sooo... I've been following threads on other HD forums about the new Harley 120R engine... 130+HP/130+TQ on any 6-speed TwinCam bikes for 5 grand. are VROD doomed? what do you think?
Probably not. Don't forget that those motors still have to push bikes that weigh more than 800 pounds.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I have seen a few dyno sheets, even though HD is advertising 145 or whatever, they are pulling around 130 hp and about the same torque. I might say yes.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen a few dyno sheets, even though HD is advertising 145 or whatever, they are pulling around 130 hp and about the same torque. I might say yes.
Geoff, turbo VROD has similar hp but less torque, right? say it races against a Dyna with120R, then whats gonna happen?

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it turbo or stage II cam that put 130+hp on vrod?

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Not sure, my bike dyno'd @164 (cannot recall the torque) on Trask's dyno with a custom tune. There is a video on youtube of one of these dyna's running in the tens at the track. It is pretty impressive, I have been watching this motor, waiting for someone to put some miles on it to see how it holds together.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have some experience of both engine platforms and in my experience the V-Rod will still prevail. remember that the "airhead" motor will peak at 6,200-6,500 rpms and the V-Rod will still be pulling to 9,200 rpms stock and 10,500 modified.

The rear wheel horsepower on a stock V-Rod is about 110 on a 1250cc motor and a modified motor can be between 130--145. If a stroker or a turbo is installed the horsepower can be in the 150-165 range.

So NO it isn't "over" for the V-Rod.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
By the time you buy every thing needed for the motor, it is about $8,000. for $5,000 the motor is not complete. In a Dyna frame it would run with a good rider low 10's

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I have some experience of both engine platforms and in my experience the V-Rod will still prevail. remember that the "airhead" motor will peak at 6,200-6,500 rpms and the V-Rod will still be pulling to 9,200 rpms stock and 10,500 modified.

The rear wheel horsepower on a stock V-Rod is about 110 on a 1250cc motor and a modified motor can be between 130--145. If a stroker or a turbo is installed the horsepower can be in the 150-165 range.

So NO it isn't "over" for the V-Rod.
Have you heard of anyone with some miles on the 120R, either the kit or the crate motor?

·
Registered
206 Posts
the local dealer installed one of these in a fatboy lo and then proceeded to race it against a merch 131. however in this video they claim the fatboy one but if you watch it, it sure looks and sounds to me like a v rod is out in front...

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
This makes me glad I own a v rod I didnt spend that much for a motor. I make more horsepower weigh a lot less look a lot better and we can drive in stop-n- go traffic with out overheating. During the rally in galveston the lines were long most of them overheated and had to pull over.... it wasnt the 120r but on a ride back from houston two bikes with the SE kits installed and tuned they nailed it from 60+ single riding I put it in third from way behind them ...me and my girlfriend hit 135 quickly they were a distant spec in my v rod mirror most that i played with they run out of breath about 125mph

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
By the time you buy every thing needed for the motor, it is about $8,000. for $5,000 the motor is not complete. In a Dyna frame it would run with a good rider low 10's
Throw 8K at a Vrod and what will it do. Seems pointless to me, kind of like making a race car out of a Mustang, sure it will beat a stock ZR1 Corvette, but it's still a Mustang.

·
Flat Broke
283 Posts
Yeah, For sure the V is in front by quite a bit. The chopper is actually in front at one point.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I aint scare of no air head making 130/130, they still weigh 200 + pounds more..Bring em to line......

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
This video is funny looks like every other time I ride with my airhead buddies, havent met one that can run me yet! HA

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I'm thinking it's too bad Pat can't run his bagger in the bagger class :angeldev:
Yeah I thank Harley and AHDRA screwed up with the rules for the class.. I bet you want see more than 3-5 bikes racing in the class.. Not many people can afford to take at minimum 12-15K to buy a used bike and then invest another 6-8k to build it to run in a class that will prob never make a full field, lots of guys with baggers with 120 + motors out there that cant play now.. Should have allowed all baggers and gave bonus money if you run the motor and win or #1 qualifier....

1 - 20 of 314 Posts