Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They really stuck it out building such a different bike. Even their own hardcore customers are sceptical and would easily write it off as a failure. Not to mention the rest of the biker world. Don't they realize they are under the microscope here. I have had my own problems but I just read where a v-brother was burning oil under warranty and had to kick and scream to get a new motor and others said they have burned oil since new. While harley is telling them it's normal. SHAMEFUL.
Never would have expected such behavior from Harley.

·
4,638 Posts
Once you have made the sale you can forget them backing you up unless you raise hell.... Although their are few and I mean few dealers out their that will back you after the sell ....:whack: :whack:

·
Registered
138 Posts
As a contractor for a major cable company, i see them charging people for one thing and they dont charge others for the same thing or more. Did alittle checking out and found out that the people that get the best deals are the ones that call and call and chew there ear off. Mr. nice guy gets it up the ars, while the a-hole gets everything for free. aaaaah, i feel better now.

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
Hey, I'm a nice guy but I did have to write a few not so nice letters to both my local HD shop and corporate. Oh, I forgot about all the not so nice exchange of words also. Well, maybe I'm not such a nice guy after all.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Okie,

I think the dealers more than HD need to do the stepping up. I haven't had the problems that some of you document but even on the little issues I've had, the dealers in my area have treated me honestly.

As for burning oil, it is normal for a high performance motor to burn a little oil. Something on the order of 1 qt between services is not excessive and shouldn't raise anyone's concern. Some will consume oil and others won't, it's the nature of mass produced items as well as various riding styles/conditions. Just because your buddy's bike doesn't use any oil doesn't mean that you're entitled to a new motor because you burn 1 quart every 3000 miles.

For those concerned about oil consumption or gas in their oil I'll bet HD has published what they consider the proper guidelines are for both situations. If anyone has any documented communication with HD on these issues send them to me and I'll post them in the technical or mechanical forum :) We all could benefit from having the proper ammunition when dealing with uninformed dealers

:soapbox:

To be honest, for all but a few complaints I've seen posted on the various boards the problem isn't so much HD as it is either an uncaring dealer or an unreasonable consumer.

Remember, over 30,000 v-rods are in circulation. Based on the cross section of the various boards I think about 1000 - 2000 of those people are actually participating in the forums and of those less than 2% have reported serious problems and more than half of their issues can be attributed to poor dealer relationships. You also need to remember that the INTERNET is a magnet for people to vent their frustration.

On a whole there are probably 1000 happy riders out there that don't care about participating in these forums for every 1 person who jumps on the INTERNET bandwagon to voice their displeasure with their bike or the company that made it.

Ricky, Esquire,

It's sad that you think that's the only way to get what you feel is right from HD and it's dealers is to raise a little hell :(

I've always tried to develop a positive relationship with service managers, regardless of the company. It's served me well in the past and I've only had to get a company liaison involved once in the last decade and that was because I had a problem pop up out of warranty that was complained about prior to the warranty expiring and reported as no trouble found.

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mjw930,
I guess I just don't have the people skills do deal with my chrome peeling off most every piece on my bike.
I realize it is a small percentage having problems, but with a product they know is going to be subject to such scrutiny you would think they would be eager to resolve any major problems.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Okie,

I hope you get it resolved. This isn't the first time I've heard about HD chrome peeling and the dealer shrugging their shoulders. BTW, It's not a V-Rod specific problem. It's happening to a friends Ultra Classic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The dealers have a lot of room for making the call when it comes to any warranty work. If they dont feel like doing it that day, they will just pass the buck & blame the motor company.

Some dealers are great & will cover everything & anything, others will just bend the consumer over. Its our job to let the rest of the folks out there know who are the decent & fair dealers to give our business to.

·
AMF
423 Posts
mjw930 said:

I've always tried to develop a positive relationship with service managers, regardless of the company. It's served me well in the past
This is some good advice.

People want to complain about how the dealer treated them but they never talk about how they treat the dealer. You will usually get a lot more help from the service manager if you talk to them like a human being instead of telling them what they are going to do for you. You would be suprised how much leverage an SM has in making a customer service decision about warranty especially when it's out of warranty. If you don't use the dealer for anything except warranty work, don't be suprised when the answer is NO when you need help getting something covered that maybe questionable. Just my :2cents as a service manager.

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
again, this is not the dealer or the service managers fault. All they can do is report the claim and describe the problem. The service manager is a friend of mine and I do all their paint work. It's a very good relationship with the dealer. I received a letter from HD denying the claim.

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Being they use multiple vendors for the chrome they say it was something that happened after assembely.
These are tiny blisters and cracks that look to be coming from the inside out. Much like solvent pop and crows feet in paint failure.
I know of no cleaner that would have this effect on chrome. I don't even use soap on it.
Now months later I see where others have been taken care of. Different case workers? Do they even have a customer service number?

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Okie:

I can tell you that in cases like this your local dealer can be the best advocate you can have for getting H-D to reconsider a Warranty issue.

Frankly, the statement that they use "multiple vendors" is hogwash - so what? The bike is manufactured by Harley-Davidson, and they warrant the whole thing. If the engine block cracked after two months would they tell you to go back to the company that mined the aluminum ore?

From my understanding, the warranty claim processing area at H-D is somewhat sceptical of claims related to appearance issues on chrome. Many times they hear from people whose pipes have turned blue - and quite rightly they do not consider this to be an item that is covered under warranty.

Your case sounds quite different - may I suggest that you take some photographs of the affected areas, along with copies of your service history as it relates to this problem; and ask the service Manager or Service Writer at your local dealer to contact Technical Services at H-D to reconsider the issue.

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not wanting to be a pain having a business relationship with them (and plenty of competetion for the work). I have been less agressive with the dealer than I normally would. I have sent letters to HD asking them to reconsider my claim and they sent back a polite letter saying tough shit. It just amazes me they never sent anyone to look at the bike. We did email some pictures that did not show much. I am compiling evidence of others they have helped with similiar problems.
Thanks for everyones concern. If anyone hears of others having the same problems please contact me at [email protected]

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I had the blistering on my water pump and rear rocker cover.They replaced both with no hassle.Just had to wait on them to order the parts.I have to say they do get me in and out quick,but the v-rod mech. is an older guy that just doesn't seem to be into v-rods.Not only that he has scratched mine a couple places,always leaves oil, grease, etc all over the bike.
I want it back the way I dropped it off SPOTLESS.
Yes,HD needs to step up.Their #1 priority should be the v-rod.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
vrodvinny said:
he has scratched mine a couple places,always leaves oil, grease, etc all over the bike.
I want it back the way I dropped it off SPOTLESS.
Yes,HD needs to step up.
It sounds like the problem there is with your dealer (or at least the mechanic who works on your bike.)

I have to tell you that many of the dealers around the country have a policy that every bike that comes in for service gets washed before the customer picks it up. So I usually get mine back cleaner than when I dropped it off.

Harley is making a concerted effort to improve the customer experience at its dealers.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I'll tell you about their cleanliness.I installed the v-5 exhaust,pcIIIr,and k&n filter myself.I took the bike in to replace the chrome,and I told them to dyno tune it also.Well they did the chrome first,then they did the dynoing.They didn't clean the bike and they got antifreeze on the y-pipe.So, there is these nasty marks from the antifreeze where it burned off.I didn't notce it until a day later.I was so fu(king hot.

No,I have a problem with the whole dealer.The owner,gotta be going on 75yrsold,didn't even say one word to me,when I took the v-rod in the 4th time for the same thing.coolant tank was leaking.I told them the1st time I took it in for a coolant leak.
Doesn't matter anymore,I found a new a new dealer.Gerencer's in Elkhart,IN,they are all about the v-rod.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I went through all the posts here - concensus seems to be its mostly a dealer issue. Mine has been super (HD North Dallas). I had a heat shield on the 16GA 's pop off (as I was pulling out of the dealer!) and they replaced it, no questions asked, from stock (thankfully they had one). I'm sure the welds were stressed by scraping on turns, but they didn't even flinch.

·
4,638 Posts
mjw930 said:
Okie,

I think the dealers more than HD need to do the stepping up. I haven't had the problems that some of you document but even on the little issues I've had, the dealers in my area have treated me honestly.

As for burning oil, it is normal for a high performance motor to burn a little oil. Something on the order of 1 qt between services is not excessive and shouldn't raise anyone's concern. Some will consume oil and others won't, it's the nature of mass produced items as well as various riding styles/conditions. Just because your buddy's bike doesn't use any oil doesn't mean that you're entitled to a new motor because you burn 1 quart every 3000 miles.

For those concerned about oil consumption or gas in their oil I'll bet HD has published what they consider the proper guidelines are for both situations. If anyone has any documented communication with HD on these issues send them to me and I'll post them in the technical or mechanical forum :) We all could benefit from having the proper ammunition when dealing with uninformed dealers

:soapbox:

To be honest, for all but a few complaints I've seen posted on the various boards the problem isn't so much HD as it is either an uncaring dealer or an unreasonable consumer.

Remember, over 30,000 v-rods are in circulation. Based on the cross section of the various boards I think about 1000 - 2000 of those people are actually participating in the forums and of those less than 2% have reported serious problems and more than half of their issues can be attributed to poor dealer relationships. You also need to remember that the INTERNET is a magnet for people to vent their frustration.

On a whole there are probably 1000 happy riders out there that don't care about participating in these forums for every 1 person who jumps on the INTERNET bandwagon to voice their displeasure with their bike or the company that made it.

Ricky, Esquire,

It's sad that you think that's the only way to get what you feel is right from HD and it's dealers is to raise a little hell :(

I've always tried to develop a positive relationship with service managers, regardless of the company. It's served me well in the past and I've only had to get a company liaison involved once in the last decade and that was because I had a problem pop up out of warranty that was complained about prior to the warranty expiring and reported as no trouble found.
mjw930,
Good to hear that you have a positive relationship with service managers, regardless of the company. But also remember the world is made up of all kinds of people there are mild and meek people, outspoken people, neet freaks and slobs.... then their are people who work on a daily basis with the public that just dont give a dam about other peoples possessions. Its not that they mean to be careless and not pay attention to detail, Its just the way that they were raised and some of those people end up being Service Managers for Harley Davidson Dealerships....
P.S. Please dont take this personally,Its what makes this forum so great... THE DIVERSITY OF IT ALL........:cheers: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts