Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confessions Of A Closet Cruiser Lover by Aaron Frank of Motorcycle Cruiser Online

Here are just a few interesting quotes from the article. There have to be others who feel this way. HD must respond. Our beloved V-Rod is the base for another great type motorcycle. When will they respond?

"The vilest yearning for a Harley-Davidson Electra Glide."

"This past summer I racked up a few thousand miles...on what could quite possibly be the least-sporty motorcycle ever conceived: a Harley-Davidson FLHTCU Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited (even the name is ponderous!), a bagger of the highest order, complete with Tour-Pak, CD stereo and cruise control."

"And I loved every last single mile. I'm certain there's now a special spot in knee-draggers' hell reserved just for me."

"Harley-Davidson's press pool has always been my guilty pleasure, but I was ever careful to stick to the "sportier" side of the H-D spectrum. Past indiscretions included a four-week fling with the now-discontinued FXDX Dyna Super Glide T-Sport, or, more recently, a torrid, two-month affair with a VRSCR Street Rod (code name: S.S. Squidkiller, because it was so capable at chasing down unsuspecting sportbike riders)."

Read more here:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/features/0706_crup_motorcycle_cruiser_enthusiast

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
Do you miss the revo engine, or do you like the low rpm torque of you current ride? Is it the liquid cooling you miss, or the smoother engine?

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The revo engine is a great loss at stops because that very big air cooled beast really vibrates. The revo would stop that. Low end torque is something I desire in any motorized machine I ride. So it is appreciated in the RKCl, but I never felt it lacking in the VRSCA.
I will tell you that I've ended up at 90 mph while cruising and didn't even realize it. That never happened on the V.

Here is a question, would the revo have to be boosted in size or something to carry such a big load?

·
Banned
654 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
The revo engine is a great loss at stops because that very big air cooled beast really vibrates. The revo would stop that. Low end torque is something I desire in any motorized machine I ride. So it is appreciated in the RKCl, but I never felt it lacking in the VRSCA.
I will tell you that I've ended up at 90 mph while cruising and didn't even realize it. That never happened on the V.

Here is a question, would the revo have to be boosted in size or something to carry such a big load?
not for me

this bike will run all over my Ultra carrying the same load.

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
I have a FLHRPI (Road King Police Bike) and I know exactly what you are taking about. I too have been doing 90+ without even realizing it. I have also fell asleep on the RK! That has never happened on the V or any other bike I have owned. One leg of a long trip I was just enjoting the ride and when I finally looked down I saw that I was out of gas! 170 plus miles and I was still as comfy as can be! :D They are two totally different bikes. I hate to do it but I am going to sell my RK. The upsdie is I am going to buy another V and make it into a V-Glide.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jetgod said:
...I have also fell asleep on the RK!...
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Maybe I shouldn't ask for a smoother engine in a bagger!!!!!

·
Ex Night Rodder
152 Posts
It seems that the PERFECT platform for a Vbagger experiment would be on a POLICE bagger (are you listening MoCo?) Those bikes spend a lot of time idling so they could benefit greatly from liquid cooling; They have to go from sitting to hauling @ss at a moment's notice; and the MoCo would have a chance to gauge public opinion and get valuable feedback before committing to mass production of a civilian model.
MOST IMPORTANTLY though, I might be able to buy one when they get retired. I had an '03 FXDP Dyna Defender and I loved it, right up until I took my first ride on a Vrod.

·
Have Gun Will Travel
1,008 Posts
I rented an electra glide this summer and racked up 3k in 6 days. I loved the ability to pack it all on the bike and just go, but I HATED the aircooled engine and tranny. The engine will bake your ass, and the tranny is whiny.

I revo engine would have fixed it all.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
Hmmmm Larry, that's weird. I have a lot of miles on both bikes and the V-Rod is definitely hotter when stuck at a stop light. Of course, I have an 80" Evo and from what I hear they run cooler than the twin cam.

I fixed my whiny transmission by installing a Jim's kit at 80k... new bearnings/shims etc...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
larry273 said:
I rented an electra glide this summer and racked up 3k in 6 days. I loved the ability to pack it all on the bike and just go, but I HATED the aircooled engine and tranny. The engine will bake your ass, and the tranny is whiny.

I revo engine would have fixed it all.

All the new engines w the closed loop feed back system are tuned lean and run hot,including the 08 1250 Revo's.
The MoCo is well aware of the tranny noise,a cush drive system covers the noise.A cush drive is offered in the accessory book for the 07's and the 08's come from the factory w the cush drive installed.
Most of the general Harley population enjoy the rough idle of the rubber mounted engine.There is no balance shaft in the rubber mounted engines,along w some other differences for power.The "B" engine is solid mounted and smooth as glass but lacks the nessessary power for the big baggers.
I seriously doubt there will be a factory Revo powered bagger any time soon,the MoCo has done a very good job pleasing the EPA and putting alot of effort in the new air cooled engines and 6 spd transmissions,they'll ride this golden horse untill the very end and then some.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
The MoCo is well aware of the tranny noise,a cush drive system covers the noise.A cush drive is offered in the accessory book for the 07's...
Interesting. What is the name or PN used in the book for this?

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Have Gun Will Travel
1,008 Posts
gtrman66 said:
Hmmmm Larry, that's weird. I have a lot of miles on both bikes and the V-Rod is definitely hotter when stuck at a stop light.
Trust me, no comparison. The V-Rod feels COLD compared to the newer air cooled motors. On a hot summer day, in traffic, the new bikes will test your manhood.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Larry273. I agree with you. I have fried the eggs many times in Houston's not so fast moving rush hour traffic on a big twin......The Revo is much, much cooler.....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if there was a revo powered bagger in the future, the big twin motors are having problems meeting the up and coming EPA restrictions.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I doubt Harley wants to play in this market but coming off a quarter century of nothing but various BMW twins and fours, my Street Rod is quieter and smoother between 80 to 100 mph ( with the small Super Sport windscreen ) than my trusty K-100RS. Harley could, if it were clever, build a superb sport touring bike out of the V-Rod driveline. It would need a frame designed to accomodate quick detatchable hard luggage and a softer roomier seat than any V-Rod has now, but the basics are all there. Harley killed off the Street Rod no doubt because it was on a frame not shared with any other member of the family and the it turned out to be a slow seller. Harley could build a sport touring bike and a Street Rod replacement on the same frame and suspension. I can't help thinking such a bike, if the dealers ( very big if ) were willing to make the effort at attracting the sort of customer, would be successful against things like the Ducati ST-3, several BMW models, the Yamaha FJR and that big Moto Guzzi sport touring thing. I genuinely prefer my Street Rod to my BMW except the Beemer has great touring luggage and better weather protection overall.

·
1,738 Posts
Philthy said:
I doubt Harley wants to play in this market but coming off a quarter century of nothing but various BMW twins and fours, my Street Rod is quieter and smoother between 80 to 100 mph ( with the small Super Sport windscreen ) than my trusty K-100RS. Harley could, if it were clever, build a superb sport touring bike out of the V-Rod driveline. It would need a frame designed to accommodate quick detachable hard luggage and a softer roomier seat than any V-Rod has now, but the basics are all there. Harley killed off the Street Rod no doubt because it was on a frame not shared with any other member of the family and the it turned out to be a slow seller. Harley could build a sport touring bike and a Street Rod replacement on the same frame and suspension. I can't help thinking such a bike, if the dealers ( very big if ) were willing to make the effort at attracting the sort of customer, would be successful against things like the Ducati ST-3, several BMW models, the Yamaha FJR and that big Moto Guzzi sport touring thing. I genuinely prefer my Street Rod to my BMW except the Beemer has great touring luggage and better weather protection overall.
Well said. I have ridden the top sport touring bikes (including the new Connie) and when I get back on my tour equipped V-Rod I enjoy it more. I am suppose it is what you are used to, and if another bike could excite me (both functionally and esthetically) as much as the V-Rod I would get it for all the reasons you mention. The only two that have come close to making me switch is the Concours 1400 and the 2003-04 K1200GT, and when if I ever see a low mileage K1200GT in blue at below $9,000 I may pop for a second bike. I might even put out the $14000 large for a new Concours in a different color (I cannot believe that they offer the US only one ho-hum silver green color, while Europe gets the sexy gloss black- I think it is the main reason they sit on the floor. That and they seem to only import non-ABS models).

Harley has really missed the boat on this. With the new ABS and just a little tweaking with existing parts they could cobble together a respectable sport touring bike with minimum lead time and investment. Hell, they could just buy a bunch of Cyclevisions brackets and make a bunch of V-Baggers. I only hope it is because they have something really special in the works to compete with the Victory Vision and the new Goldwing when it comes out.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Rumour is that Harley will be coming out with a Vrod Bagger in 2005, er..2006, wait, 2007...no, 2008, yea thats it!:hidesbeh:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
larry273 said:
Trust me, no comparison. The V-Rod feels COLD compared to the newer air cooled motors. On a hot summer day, in traffic, the new bikes will test your manhood.
Try out a new '08 closed loop Revo. It's as hot, if not a tad hotter than the TC bikes. The '08 WILL test your manhood in hot summer traffic.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts