Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hoped I'd have a good experience at this dealer at the Puget Sound, but unfortunately not.

Anyways, I was looking to test ride, or even sit on a V-Rod Muscle. I plan to buy the bike if I like it. I already have a 2003 VRSCA, I really don't want a Nightrod. I want a Muscle in Denim Black.

I went to the dealer, they only had a Nightrod. The dealer said a Muscle won't be coming in, "it's special order". Then he persisted to sell me on the Nightrod for $13,600 saying:

"a Nightrod is exactly like a Muscle with a body kit ...and you can buy the body kit for less than a muscle would cost you. Do the math..."

He then told me a Muscle would cost me over $19,000. for real?

Ugh. Almost makes me want to buy the Honda.. lol.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
That's BS... They're pushin what they've got in stock. Not debating the good or bad over one model or another, but if he had a Muscle and you wanted a DX it would be a whole different story. If they normally don't sell many V's then it probably would be a special order. If nothing else, if you're sold on getting the Muscle find one at a dealer that wants to make a deal and get it shipped or go get it. You're still going to be money ahead versus his $19k quote.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
this seems common for guys trying to buy the new muscles eh, and at the same time there flogging the DXbikes lol..

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
That's BS... They're pushin what they've got in stock. Not debating the good or bad over one model or another, but if he had a Muscle and you wanted a DX it would be a whole different story. If they normally don't sell many V's then it probably would be a special order. If nothing else, if you're sold on getting the Muscle find one at a dealer that wants to make a deal and get it shipped or go get it. You're still going to be money ahead versus his $19k quote.

Just my 2 cents...
:them:

Absolutely look for a Muscle at another dealer. If you get to ride it home a hundred miles then SWEET! The stealership is going to make a lot more money selling the DX to you than ordering in a Muscle. Besides, they are probably trying to make room for a bike that pleases the bean-counters that are killing the company.

When I bought my D in March, my local dealership spent weeks putting me on bikes that I didn't want that cost more than I wanted to spend. What really pissed me off was the different financing offers with each bike. The ones I liked and others in different towns would have a higher down payment even though the selling price was lower. :broke: I found a softail standard in another city (same owner/dealership) that I thought I wanted and they told me that it had sold out from under me (phew!), yet it popped back up for sale after I bought my bike.

When I finally found the night rod advertised in Arizona they tried again by telling me how much better off I would be buying a floor model Dyna and saving the shipping costs for upgrades. They had a 2003 Vrod and I asked to sit on it to see if I would like the D and they told me that it wouldn't be comparable and when I liked the feel they insisted that the D wouldn't fit me as well (wrong on both counts).

I expected something different from HD but I wasn't surprised by the "car salesman" tactics as I had previously encountered them when I bought my wife's Sportster. Don't get me wrong, I still bought a bike thru them and I really liked the salesman and mechanics, but as a result of their approach I came pretty close to buying two bikes that weren't what I wanted and if I would have caved I would be putting along with the rest of the herd instead of cranking the throttle of the coolest bike in town.

Stay strong and flex your Muscle!!!

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
Thanks, man if I worked at Harley I know a few good ways they could turn around.
Being honest and forthright would be a vast improvement.

"hey man, we got a few too many of bike x and such as it is have much more flexibility on price. you could save some cash...."

or something like that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I realize that I won't be able to buy from a local PNW dealer, no point. I'd rather buy something on the internet and just ship it when I'm ready.

BTW, I'm going deaf with my 2-1 Competition. It's crazy loud. I am going to try wearing my ultimate ears when riding to see how that works out ;-)

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Check out E-Bay. A lot of dealers post their inventory there. I bought my VRSCX from a dealer in Statesville, NC when no one local had one. Got it at a reasonable price. It was what I wanted. No salesman hassles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts