Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
www.ironshields.org
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general rant here.

HD dealers are in a position where they do not have to work to make a sale. So they are lazy and can be off-putting to cutomers (or worse, sell you a "complete dealership loves you package and then do NOTHING!)

Service departments couldn't care whether you service your bike, sold by them or otherwise.

Parts departments giving you ridiculous wait times for stock parts. Or just never bothering to contact customers. I could tell you stories.

Biggest issue of all? We as customers cannot do ANYTHING about it. You want a new Harley Davidson motorcycle, you have to suffer through them all. I spent $22,000+ on my DX with some accessories and I have gotten NO love at all from them. I could have bought 3 new (not HD) bikes for that and had a better experience.

They really need to get their act together. The do not care NOW, but when people start to realize they are not getting any kind of customer service after the fact, they will stop buying in such great numbers.

Likely, this will be my last HD. Too bad.

End of Rant.

Rick

·
Registered
49 Posts
its not all dealerships... ive found that about half are just like youre talking about and the other half are awesome... heck i bought an 06 883 custom to learn on about 4 months ago (that im trading in for an 08dx) and i go up there about once a week to hang out and talk to the guys that sold me my bike, i actually just got back from doing that very thing... the salesmen actually cruise around 1130cc with me :)

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
While you have some very valid points about SOME of the dealers out there, they are not all that way. You just need to find one of the dealers where customer service is a priority. I assure you, they do exist. Don't let a few bad apples ruin the love you have for one awesome machine.

·
I'll Take Two Please
396 Posts
I have mixed feelings about my dealership. I trust no one. When I bought my bike everyone was as you would expect. Very nice and everything. I then ride back up to the dealership about a week later and it was like as if I was backstage at a rock concert with no backstage pass. No one would give me the time of day. The most I got was a head nod or a hi. I almost started buying online from that one experience, but I thought I would give them another chance. It did seem like the more I was in the place the more they would talk to me and recognize who I was. Still trusting no one. I don't know if it's the money I spend in there or if they are sincerely glad to see me. I got the same treatment from the service guys too, until one day I went in to ask them about changing my tires. I told them that I had already removed the wheels from the bike and it was like a switch was flipped. I don't know if it was because I can work on my own bike a little or what but, they have really treated me different ever since. In a good way.

·
Registered
256 Posts
WOW, I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. I purchased an 06 RoadKing, traded it in for an 07 DX, and just last week purchased an 08 1200 sportster Low for my wife. All from Scheaffer's HD in Orwigsburg, Pa. I'm not kidding you here when I say I get excellent! treatment from them every time I walk in!!! Even though there are dealerships closer I go to Scheaffers even just for a part because of their personnal treatment to people. Good luck!! Ed

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Blahhhh blah blahhh there should be one thread dedicated to this and everyone should just post their new experience there instead of always making new ones1 I cant believe some of you are still suprised by this! My dealer takes good care of me though so from now on I am going to start a new thread everytime I have a pleasent experience there!

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
Likely, this will be my last HD. Too bad.

After the V-Rod why would you ever need anything else???

I understand your upset but please don't lump all the dealers together. "If" you have a valid complaint let HD know. All the dealers get graded by these comments/ complaints and I know at my dealership we hear about it. I also don't reccomend bad mouthing a dealer and then going back in there.

I also know that I am not the only HD parts "slinger" on the forum. I am on almost everyday and I try to answer every question I can about parts and availabilty.

·
Registered
479 Posts
harleymon55 said:
WOW, I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. I purchased an 06 RoadKing, traded it in for an 07 DX, and just last week purchased an 08 1200 sportster Low for my wife. All from Scheaffer's HD in Orwigsburg, Pa. I'm not kidding you here when I say I get excellent! treatment from them every time I walk in!!! Even though there are dealerships closer I go to Scheaffers even just for a part because of their personnal treatment to people. Good luck!! Ed
of course, you keep buying bikes from them. the sales guy isnt gonna bite the hand that feeds him

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
keebie said:
of course, you keep buying bikes from them. the sales guy isnt gonna bite the hand that feeds him
Exactly. But that's how it should be. You're the customer. You pay their salary. You're the one making the dealership profitable. You should be treated well. If you aren't, find another dealership. If that's not possible, bitch like hell to Harley corporate.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Oriondk said:
Exactly. But that's how it should be. You're the customer. You pay their salary. You're the one making the dealership profitable. You should be treated well. If you aren't, find another dealership. If that's not possible, bitch like hell to Harley corporate.
:them:

·
Registered
74 Posts
My experience with harley dealers has also been somewhat disappointing considering the price of purchase and their "heritage". That said the dealer that i deal with mostly (kutter HD) is usually very nice. Especially the parts guys. Throughout the rebuild of my DX the majority of my issues (parts taking FOREVER to come in, part quality, and recieving wrong parts) were due to HD corporate. I have been continually disappointed with HD's quality. For example they had to reorder the black radiator cover twice due to marbling in the plastic. I got one of my frame members in without the footpeg boss and rear master cylinder welded on. One of my skins was inserted into the cotton shipping bag before the paint was dry. I recieved the wrong handle bars due to the diagram being wrong. stupid things like when you order a small plastic part and it's in a box with 3" of bubble wrap around it yet when my radiator came in it was simply placed in a box with no protection and the plug hole was ovaled due to the box being dropped and bending the radiator. You could tell the parts guys were used to it though becuase every time I pointed some small scratch out or something like that ON A BRAND NEW PART FRESH OUT OF THE BOX, they pretty much said it was the norm and it wasn't any different than what they usually see. So I guess one issue is with the dealers not holding HD corporate to a higher standard and pressing them for better quality and service. I've rode everything from triumph to kawasaki and have never had one issue with any manufacturer's parts like I have with HD.

·
Gone
545 Posts
I don't mind my dealer as much as I do the MOCO itself. Parts availability, 3 month backorders, and assembly defects are the problems I've had and obviously those were not dealer problems.

In fact my dealer has done nationwide searches and bent over backwards trying to get me parts. Also when I had a front end wobble problem the dealer looked at it several times until I was satisfied.

However, my bike is still "down" bc the MOCO doesn't seem to think it's necessary to warehouse any parts OR to make any parts until mid October.

It's sad when crotchrockets are easier to repair than an American bike.

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
TBAR said:
I don't mind my dealer as much as I do the MOCO itself. Parts availability, 3 month backorders, and assembly defects are the problems I've had and obviously those were not dealer problems.

In fact my dealer has done nationwide searches and bent over backwards trying to get me parts. Also when I had a front end wobble problem the dealer looked at it several times until I was satisfied.

However, my bike is still "down" bc the MOCO doesn't seem to think it's necessary to warehouse any parts OR to make any parts until mid October.

It's sad when crotchrockets are easier to repair than an American bike.
What parts are you waiting on?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have three in my area. I'm finished with two of them and just had the third one do some service. When I recieved my bike I found a sizable set of gouges and scratches on my black DX rear wheel. The manager was not in when I picked it up so I'm waiting for a call back. I know mistakes happen and hope they make things right as I would love to have a dealer that I can trust. I'll keep you posted.

·
Gone
545 Posts
myneed4speed said:
What parts are you waiting on?
Now only a rear master cylinder assembly. The frame rails and other stuff only recently came though. The last of the parts are due in on October 12. In my opinion, it's pretty ridiculous because the bike went in for a damage estimate on JULY 6 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's right!!!!!!! In the end, it will have taken over three months to have a simple frame rail, foot peg and rear master cylinder assembly, radiator side cover, and exhaust repair completed.

If your NRS gets damaged or something breaks, just write your summer off---at least until the MOCO gets its head out of its ass.

·
Registered
479 Posts
TBAR said:
Now only a rear master cylinder assembly. The frame rails and other stuff only recently came though. The last of the parts are due in on October 12. In my opinion, it's pretty ridiculous because the bike went in for a damage estimate on JULY 6 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's right!!!!!!! In the end, it will have taken over three months to have a simple frame rail, foot peg and rear master cylinder assembly, radiator side cover, and exhaust repair completed.

If your NRS gets damaged or something breaks, just write your summer off---at least until the MOCO gets its head out of its ass.
im in the same boat kinda, still waiting on my right lower frame rail. luckily mine is just bent but still useable, the rear brake doesnt work well but its dealable.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Just like any other car dealership, there are good ones and bad ones. I've come across some crappy metric dealers as well.

·
San Diego |07 DX|
1,149 Posts
i wouldn't generalize all dealers as terrible. I think there are dealers that have SOME terrible people working there. I have had some good experiences w/ the dealers in my area and find them to be relatively v-rod friendly and knowlegable.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i just had the best experience getting home from the rally ..

there are good and bad.. and i think even at a good one you can have a bad experience and at bad one you can have a good experience..

its all to do with the person you deal with and all people are different..just my opinion though

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
3OliveMartini said:
i just had the best experience getting home from the rally ..

there are good and bad.. and i think even at a good one you can have a bad experience and at bad one you can have a good experience..

its all to do with the person you deal with and all people are different..just my opinion though
Hey 3olive,
What happened? You are buldging in the wrong places! That avatar is freaky. As not to hijack, There are not too many good HD dealers around these parts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts