Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

201 - 211 of 211 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Lyrics "Red Barchetta" by RUSH - Just imagine a Red V Rod instead of the Red race car -

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the Motor Law
And on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire
Where my white-haired uncle waits
Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For fifty odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream
I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
I fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime
Wind
In my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge...
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware
Suddenly ahead of me
Across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires
To run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase
Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle at the fireside

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Poor Mans LiveWire !

Great Video Taxman ! I'll tell ya what would be fun - Ride your V Rod for an hour, return to the house, pickup the fully charged LiveWire, ride for an hour, return to the house, put it on the charger, go out on the V Rod for an hour, repeat. That would really pit both bikes against each other and showcase the extreme differences in the overall personal motorcycling experience - Big Fun ! If and when they get the Livewire down to 18K AND they give you an included color matched H-D propeller helmet that helps recharge the RESS when your riding it, I'm in ! And that's not going to happen anytime soon - so that's why I've got a great Indian/Bananna River FL. V Rod REVO ride planned today, about 200 Miles, out & back, recharging to occur at one random gas station half way - a 5 minute stop, $ 12 will give another 120 miles of V Rod sounds & riding fun for the wife & I - ( my poor mans Livewire ) :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
When did Tassy climb back on the HD bandwagon? Last time I was around they had killed the V-Rod and Tassy was proclaiming that to be the fifth horseman of the apocalypse. Did he change meds or what?

Back on topic. The livewire looks like it might be fun, but they missed the price point by 50%.
BTW. Natural news is lunatic fringe website. It's only reason to exist is selling "organic" supplements.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Back on topic. The livewire looks like it might be fun, but they missed the price point by 50%.
BTW. Natural news is lunatic fringe website. It's only reason to exist is selling "organic" supplements.
I don't know. The closest real competition is the Zero SR/F... which is $10,000 less base price. When you add the options to make it comparable, that puts $6,000 more on it, and it is still missing some cool stuff, like the aluminum frame vs zero's tube frame.

There are some pretty good motorcycle magazine comparisons.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
You can deny all you like about electrics but HD has it hand on the throttle big time. Here's the latest concept in the pipeline a cool flat tracker.
Price, performance, batteries, chargers, peer group pressure,resale are all part of the equation that make up a buying decision.Cherry picking an imagined fault doesn't give you god like status and end the production of any model in the lineup.What suits one country or cluster of diehards is totally irrelevent elsewhere and HD know it.
Tarrifs have been lifted for them in Europe and they can now build bikes in Thailand to be exported to that market.BY 2027 half their production will be international sales.The US is headed into a depression the likes of which has never been witnessed before and the smart money are making contingency plans for it.
Die in the past or embrace the future it's not rocket science it's a battery and motor.

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
I think that the barbie Jeep is outselling the Livewire. Here is the fix for all this crap. bring back the Evo, the Revo, and get these knuckleheads out of the office.
My truth is the EPA, when your bike has to be quieter then the offices at Victory you no longer own the road. Everyone was shut up Carl loud pipes don't save lives. Yes they do they saved Harley's life. In 2008/9 when all the Screaming Eagle stuff got pulled that began the downfall of HD EFI, and ABS and kickstand interlocks all for some yuppie manbun crowd. I still stand by bikes are to be raw and dangerous. When everyother bike is in the same sterile state no one wants it. Just my 2 cents.
If the Revo won't pass emissions standards, there no hope of the Evo doing so.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Harley may be going up for sale, if they don't fold first. And the time effort and money spent on an electric Motorcycle, instead of building a real "new" motorcycle may the be what takes them down. They haven't made a modern motorcycle since the VROD was phased out, because dealers were too busy selling dinosaurs to old cootes!

Now the day of reckoning if here. That over priced electric thing with 2 wheels will NEVER sell in enough numbers to generate a PROFIT! Harley flushed huge develop money on a losing product! That is exactly what drives companies out of business! The wrong business plan for growth.

They should have instead developed real MODERN motorcycles (see Triumph and Ducati as example)!
Both spent money developing a product line without wasting money on an electric bike!

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I've always poo-pooed the Livewire for a number of reasons - it's charged by coal, oil, natural gas or uranium/plutonium MOX fuel rods anyway, no engine sound, vibration, etc. etc. I finally rode one a couple weeks ago, not at a dealer but owned by a aircraft owner/ pilot at the airport and I gotta say as a former M/C racer I liked the riding dynamics of it, where the weight is, balance, power, brakes, etc. I Didn't like the lack of soul in it, the whine, it's just a motorcycle appliance kinda emotional response. It's Exactly what I expected. 30K ? No sale to this working man. If I had big money yea, I'd have one in the stable just for fun. As an only bike ? NEVER. BTW in two fast passes in the parking lot at 50 MPH being video'd I used up over 6 % of the battery, the same as a 10 mile ride to the airport by the owner. It's cool in an owners 3rd bike kinda way - the new H-D RK 131 ci beats it - see the Seminole H-D Video from Central FL. So Exactly as I and many others predicted, it's a boutique bike for rich guys to play with for 30K - nothin' wrong with that, but I'd rather have the gas H-D 131 with bags, etc. thank you very much -

201 - 211 of 211 Posts