Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone surprised by this? Nope. H-D has their corporate heads very very far up their corporate asses. Totally delusional. The poor decisions being made in the past number of years has to question the competency of the MoCo. Discontinuing the V-Rod, the bad reviews of the new FXDR 114, discontinuing the Dyna model, overpriced $50,000 CVO models, and on and on.

https://jalopnik.com/harley-davidsons-livewire-has-so-far-been-a-flop-repor-1838852741

Attachments

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
I'm not surprised. $30k for an unproven motorcycle?!

It is electric, very expensive and is fairly new & unproven tech. Who in their right mind, outside of a rich tree-hugger, would want this foolish machine? The H-D brass has completely lost their minds. I don't see this company lasting too much farther into the future. The majority of their bikes cost thousands $$$ more than the competition and lag so far behind on the tech, that you'd have to be a fool or an H-D shill to buy one.

If something doesn't drastically change, this company is going down the toilet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not surprised at all. Although I have to say it is a fun bike to ride. I tried it on a demo day. Very responsive and agile like a sportbike. But it only goes like 150 miles on one charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Asatruar
2,938 Posts

·
Departed the Fix.
5,160 Posts
Just to be clear-- H-D is trying to market this to "The Faithful" (in addition to Millennials with deep pockets)?

This would be the same "Faithful" that *hated* the VRSC's liquid cooled motor, despised Buell, lost their minds over "precision liquid cooling" on the cylinder heads of the latest bikes, were given loans by H-D Financial that they would never be able to repay in order to buy a bike they could never afford, and basically hate anything that doesn't look like a geezer-glide?

Well, that's an..... interesting way to come up with a strategy to save your company I guess.

If Tesla came out with the Livewire, it might have done well since they have their own type of kool-aid drinkers over there. But this bike? While technologically amazing, is just about as far from what a "faithful" H-D rider wants as you can get.

Even the dealers don't want it. And with no dealer buy in..... remind me how you sell it again?

Maroons.

R.

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
I would truly like to know the amount of money that H-D wasted on the R&D for this thing. Millions upon millions $$$, I'm sure. :bash:

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Very Few H-D Bulls Eyes !

We all have discussed this " bike " here in detail here at absolute ad nauseam. Search all the threads if you really have to - especially by our banned (or finally shamed enough to exit the site ) down under Aussie buddy Tassie Tony ( I kinda miss him actually, no one else here showed their ass so often and got spanked down so well by all of us ) But yea, the Livewire is a great little side show M/C from H-D, another way they can avoid building a motorcycle that has to compete with a Global market. They will sell in high income high tech urban places like San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, New York etc. ( pick your favorite Liberal Global Climate Change/Warming city ). Unless it's a hybrid that I can refuel, and have it keep going, recharging the battery without stopping for a few hours to plug it in so I can do hundreds of miles of cross country rides in a day it's a no sale for me, and for most riders. Would I buy one ? Yes, if it wasn't 4X the cost of my V Rod, it would be a fun toy. But as a only bike ? NO - Absolutely not - It's good that H-D has entered the electric arena, and the Livewire is very good - but Gasoline ain't dead yet. Build us a V Rod replacement to compete with a Ducati X Diavel S with a two up seat like my R model and I'm in. Like 25K in. Later when I'm old and tired and deaf, ( soon ) I'll buy the hybrid electric bike. Right now H-D is like that Steve Miller song " Stuck in the Middle with You " where nothing they offer really breaks out on its own - too heavy, too slow, too short a range, single seat only, won't turn - Good God H-D mgmt look at your target - very few bulls eyes ! :D:blahblah:

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
We all have discussed this " bike " here in detail here at absolute ad nauseam. Search all the threads if you really have to - especially by our banned (or finally shamed enough to exit the site ) down under Aussie buddy Tassie Tony ( I kinda miss him actually, no one else here showed their ass so often and got spanked down so well by all of us ) But yea, the Livewire is a great little side show M/C from H-D, another way they can avoid building a motorcycle that has to compete with a Global market. They will sell in high income high tech urban places like San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, New York etc. ( pick your favorite Liberal Global Climate Change/Warming city ). Unless it's a hybrid that I can refuel, and have it keep going, recharging the battery without stopping for a few hours to plug it in so I can do hundreds of miles of cross country rides in a day it's a no sale for me, and for most riders. Would I buy one ? Yes, if it wasn't 4X the cost of my V Rod, it would be a fun toy. But as a only bike ? NO - Absolutely not - It's good that H-D has entered the electric arena, and the Livewire is very good - but Gasoline ain't dead yet. Build us a V Rod replacement to compete with a Ducati X Diavel S with a two up seat like my R model and I'm in. Like 25K in. Later when I'm old and tired and deaf, ( soon ) I'll buy the hybrid electric bike. Right now H-D is like that Steve Miller song " Stuck in the Middle with You " where nothing they offer really breaks out on its own - too heavy, too slow, too short a range, single seat only, won't turn - Good God H-D mgmt look at your target - very few bulls eyes ! :D:blahblah:
I'm only in my 30's and shouldn't know this, but that song was by Stealers Wheel. I love music. :D

Reactions: Z16monte

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Cranial Rectumitis ?

CVO1 You are correct sir - I stand corrected. And Ashamed ! - I take great pride in rock music history and can't believe that I messed that up. Just goes to show what happens when your "favorite" MoCo gives you a new electric battery bike instead of a new gasoline Revolution V Rod - ya just start losing your mind - :banghead: If H-D had built a new V Rod for us we would be singing " Keep On Rocking Me Baby " I'm pretty sure that's ole Steve Miller - Hell, I sing that on my 13 year old '06 R Model when it comes on my helmet speakers and I'm rocking down the road - guess that will have to do till the MoCo gets their committee decisions head out of their collective committee A$$. :blahblah::D

·
Registered
75 Posts
That LiveWire isn't for me, but I didn't mind them jumping into electric as an early adopter. All manufacturers will have electric offerings soon... i see them as dipping their toes in it early. Would like to test one, just to see what it is like, but would never plop down $30K on one.

I am waiting for that Bare Knuckle StreetFighter. I will definitely get one of those as a modern update to my 1997 Buell S1 Lightning.

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
CVO1 You are correct sir - I stand corrected. And Ashamed ! - I take great pride in rock music history and can't believe that I messed that up. Just goes to show what happens when your "favorite" MoCo gives you a new electric battery bike instead of a new gasoline Revolution V Rod - ya just start losing your mind - :banghead: If H-D had built a new V Rod for us we would be singing " Keep On Rocking Me Baby " I'm pretty sure that's ole Steve Miller - Hell, I sing that on my 13 year old '06 R Model when it comes on my helmet speakers and I'm rocking down the road - guess that will have to do till the MoCo gets their committee decisions head out of their collective committee A$$. :blahblah::D
LOL! You are forgiven!!! :)

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I think that the barbie Jeep is outselling the Livewire. Here is the fix for all this crap. bring back the Evo, the Revo, and get these knuckleheads out of the office.
My truth is the EPA, when your bike has to be quieter then the offices at Victory you no longer own the road. Everyone was shut up Carl loud pipes don't save lives. Yes they do they saved Harley's life. In 2008/9 when all the Screaming Eagle stuff got pulled that began the downfall of HD EFI, and ABS and kickstand interlocks all for some yuppie manbun crowd. I still stand by bikes are to be raw and dangerous. When everyother bike is in the same sterile state no one wants it. Just my 2 cents.

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Range & Fire Anxiety ? GEEZ Where's my new V Rod ?

Just charge it outside in the driveway overnight until they resolve the issue - I wouldn't want to wake up in the middle of the night with my garage on fire because I was using the cheap lower 110 Volt charger and didn't give H-D and an electrician another $$$$ for the proper 220 Volt charger setup. Around here it would be charged by Coal or Natural gas so other than being a fun 30K High Torque Electric Toy no real big environmental impact improvement still a Fossil Fuel burner. Make it a gasoline Hybrid that recharges a smaller battery for unlimited electric range & fun and we'll talk. Probably 45K from H-D for that, :banghead: so just forget about it - Hey H-D where's my new V Rod ? :blahblah: :D

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
Interesting..... Not a good way to kick off the LiveWire introduction is it? Doesn't really instill confidence to a potential buyer.
I know that I would be irritated and ready to fight in approximately 5 minutes, but I would like to sit in on an H-D board meeting when they are brainstorming new motorcycle ideas. I just picture these goofs sitting around and getting nothing accomplished: Throwing paper airplanes and slipping whoopee cushions under each other's asses.

This current H-D lineup is nothing more than a "bag over the head, punch in the face". Overpriced, antiquated tech that nobody wants to buy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
"This current H-D lineup is nothing more than a "bag over the head, punch in the face". Overpriced, antiquated tech that nobody wants to buy."

I agree... having a real hard time going with HD for my next bike.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I was at HD over the weekend an they had a Livewire on a run stand. I didnt go look at it but I heard that industrial car vac. I thought I was at a car wash and not the one from Cool Hand Luke. It was as loud as a gas bike. Had to stop taking while they were playing with the dimmer switch. It was about as annoying as a kid playing with a light switch. I told HD engineer years ago that my bike is a Hybrid. The electric motor starts the gas one.

·
Asatruar
2,938 Posts
No need for a "copy & paste", we're all able to follow a link. :lamer:

1 - 20 of 211 Posts