Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On hindsight, I think this post should be in the SuperTuner section... would a mod kindly move this to that section if they agree. My apologies for the oversight.

Hi all,

Summer's coming up and I'm trying to get out of hibernation and getting the bike ready.

But, I'm in a bit of a fix - I'm trying to find a good map for my bike.

So, I've got the following tuners & software married to my VRSCF:
  • SEST with Super Tuner & MyTune
  • Dynojet Powervision with WinPV
... and, I have
  • @svFiat's "Mileage and performance" map
  • @Thunderstorm's dyno version of the same map (for 2012-2017 bikes)

The problem is, both maps were saved using SEST (.dt0 files). I quite like using the PV and WinPV's GUI with it's ease of use.
I want a PV version of the same map (.pvt) so that I can save this permanently as one of the custom maps on the PV.

How do I convert from .dt0 to .pvt? I've already tried these:
  • Importing a .dt0 map into WinPV OR a .pvt map into SEST - doesn't work as the files aren't recognised
  • Tried using MyTune, but I get lost half-way
  • I can copy data tables across but don't know what data to copy and what to ignore
  • There doesn't seem to be a 100% 1:1 co-relation between SEST and WinPV... this lands me into a whole lot of confusion.

The only way I can think of is to use SEST to load Thunderstorm's dyno map onto my bike, and then, use PV to copy it from the bike. Then connect it to WinPV and grab the map as a .pvt file.

Is there a simpler way to do this?

·
Tie One On
1,647 Posts
Long time since I dealt with a SEPST but if you can save or export as an excel file that would do it

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long time since I dealt with a SEPST but if you can save or export as an excel file that would do it
It won't save as an excel file, or for that matter, any other file besides a .dt0.

One could easily copy the cells and paste them elsewhere, but, therein lies the problem... I've no clue of what is important, and what's not.

The co-relation I could figure out between SEST and WinPV based on a 1:1 name comparison, is as below:
  • Air Fuel Ratio > Working ---------- Fuel > Air Fuel Ration (Stoich)
  • VE Front Cyl > Working ---------- Airflow > VE (TPS based/Front Cyl)
  • VE Rear Cyl > Working ---------- Airflow > VE (TPS based/Rear Cyl)
  • Spark Advance Front Cyl > Working ---------- Spark > Spark Advance (Front Cyl)
  • Spark Advance Rear Cyl > Working ---------- Spark > Spark Advance (Rear Cyl)
  • Warmup Enrichment > Working ---------- Fuel > Warmup Enrichment (Stoich)
  • Cranking Fuel > Working ---------- Fuel > Cranking Fuel
  • Idle RPM ---------- Airflow > Idle RPM
  • IAC Warmup Steps ---------- Airflow > IAC Warmup Steps
  • Closed Loop Bias Front Cyl ---------- Fuel > Closed Loop > Closed Loop Bias (Front Cyl)
  • Closed Loop Bias Rear Cyl ---------- Fuel > Closed Loop > Closed Loop Bias (Rear Cyl)
  • Accel Enrichment ---------- Fuel > Acceleration Enrichment
  • Decel Enleanment ---------- Fuel > Deceleration Enleanment
  • Tuning Setup > Engine Displacement ---------- Airflow > Engine Displacement
  • Tuning Setup > Injector Size ---------- Fuel > Injector Size
  • Tuning Setup > RPM Limit ---------- Limits & Switches > RPM Limit
  • Tuning Setup > Knock Control ---------- Knock > Knock Control

Is this all that's needed? There are a whole bunch of other parameters in WinPV... are they not important?
I could copy/paste across from SEST to WinPV using a base akra 2into1 map. Will that work?

I don't see why it won't work, but, I don't want to end up screwing the bike up... best to ask first.

Can any of the tuning gods comment please... is the above copy/paste strategy going to work?

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
It won't save as an excel file, or for that matter, any other file besides a .dt0.

One could easily copy the cells and paste them elsewhere, but, therein lies the problem... I've no clue of what is important, and what's not.

The co-relation I could figure out between SEST and WinPV based on a 1:1 name comparison, is as below:
  • Air Fuel Ratio > Working ---------- Fuel > Air Fuel Ration (Stoich)
  • VE Front Cyl > Working ---------- Airflow > VE (TPS based/Front Cyl)
  • VE Rear Cyl > Working ---------- Airflow > VE (TPS based/Rear Cyl)
  • Spark Advance Front Cyl > Working ---------- Spark > Spark Advance (Front Cyl)
  • Spark Advance Rear Cyl > Working ---------- Spark > Spark Advance (Rear Cyl)
  • Warmup Enrichment > Working ---------- Fuel > Warmup Enrichment (Stoich)
  • Cranking Fuel > Working ---------- Fuel > Cranking Fuel
  • Idle RPM ---------- Airflow > Idle RPM
  • IAC Warmup Steps ---------- Airflow > IAC Warmup Steps
  • Closed Loop Bias Front Cyl ---------- Fuel > Closed Loop > Closed Loop Bias (Front Cyl)
  • Closed Loop Bias Rear Cyl ---------- Fuel > Closed Loop > Closed Loop Bias (Rear Cyl)
  • Accel Enrichment ---------- Fuel > Acceleration Enrichment
  • Decel Enleanment ---------- Fuel > Deceleration Enleanment
  • Tuning Setup > Engine Displacement ---------- Airflow > Engine Displacement
  • Tuning Setup > Injector Size ---------- Fuel > Injector Size
  • Tuning Setup > RPM Limit ---------- Limits & Switches > RPM Limit
  • Tuning Setup > Knock Control ---------- Knock > Knock Control

Is this all that's needed? There are a whole bunch of other parameters in WinPV... are they not important?
I could copy/paste across from SEST to WinPV using a base akra 2into1 map. Will that work?

I don't see why it won't work, but, I don't want to end up screwing the bike up... best to ask first.

Can any of the tuning gods comment please... is the above copy/paste strategy going to work?
I'm working on it.
Ok, do this.
If you want a direct copy of the tune in .pvt format that is in your ECM you can extract it with Power Vision device by going to Program Vehicle>Load copy of Current, it will then read it out with the current PV definitions and allow you to place it in a slot in the tune manager.
Ignore the previous bs I spewed as this should be the best method. Copy and paste can have some serious issues when done to that extent.
Ron

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want a direct copy of the tune in .pvt format that is in your ECM you can extract it with Power Vision device by going to Program Vehicle>Load copy of Current, it will then read it out with the current PV definitions and allow you to place it in a slot in the tune manager.
Ignore the previous bs I spewed as this should be the best method. Copy and paste can have some serious issues when done to that extent.
Ron
That's what I thought and said so too in my 1st post.
The only way I can think of is to use SEST to load Thunderstorm's dyno map onto my bike, and then, use PV to copy it from the bike. Then connect it to WinPV and grab the map as a .pvt file.

Is there a simpler way to do this?
Perhaps what I should have also mentioned (but didn't - my apologies) is, that the current map on my bike is different to the one I want... so, I'll have to first load Thunderstorm's map on the bike using SEST, grab it using PV, and then save it using WinPV.
I'm lazy that way! :)

Since the original post, I've verified the co-relation between SEST and WinPV and posted them above for others to use. I'm pretty certain if I use an Akra 2into1 base map, and then copy across the values based on the co-relation from SEST to WinPV, save it as a .pvt map, it'll work.

Anyway, I've got a spare hour or so now and I'm going to try the copy/paste method. Will post the .pvt file once I've done transferring the data. Will try it out myself over the weekend.

Would really have been helpful if there was more advice from more tuning gurus... a consensus would be a great ratifier.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Load the cal you want, as you suggested with Sest .
Don't get much more guru then that. That's direct from Jamie at Fuel Moto.
I have to caution you on copy and paste between cals. I've personally found it doesn't always work as planned and the tune will likely never be right as in exact copy. This was only ve tables, not the whole deal, which multiplies the errors. This warning was again mentioned by Jamie when another method of copy/paste was suggested by another tuner. No issues with MyTune when using copy/paste however but that's for altering an existing cal with logs.
Ron

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aye aye boss... :notworth::notworth::notworth:

I like the idea to start with my own bike's base map. Didn't think of it. Cheers for that!

I'll try to be careful with the copy/paste, and only use it after a complete verification. Thanks for the heads-up on this.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Aye aye boss... :notworth::notworth::notworth:

I like the idea to start with my own bike's base map. Didn't think of it. Cheers for that!

I'll try to be careful with the copy/paste, and only use it after a complete verification. Thanks for the heads-up on this.
No problem. Try the copy/paste if you wish. How the bike runs will determine success or not. If it doesn't pan out just load the actual Thunderstorm's map to be base map via Sert and rock on with the .pvt conversion from there.
Ron

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Ron.

I'm quite intrigued by the copy/paste issue you mentioned.

And, I'm going to do it, just for the sake of it. Although, I suspect I'll end up going the long route which seems have the best chances of success.

I'll keep you updated. Cheers.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Cheers Ron.

I'm quite intrigued by the copy/paste issue you mentioned.

And, I'm going to do it, just for the sake of it. Although, I suspect I'll end up going the long route which seems have the best chances of success.

I'll keep you updated. Cheers.
Yes, I'd like to hear how it pans out.
In my first reply to your orignal question ,I got this info from a tuner which said
"I open up each program, copy and paste each table. You have to watch column and header values, the tables are not always the same."
Then Jamie stepped in and basically said not a good idea and posted his method, so I pulled that first info. I don't see a big issue trying it. There's alway an alternative fix now.
Ron

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Normally I'd agree re copy/paste... reasons are:
  1. People usually only have 1 monitor and have to swap between programs. I have 3.
  2. SEST does not always play ball whilst copying. The way around this is to click on the top left corner and drag all the way across to the bottom right. Then click on the COPY button on the menu just above the table. This ensures the data is properly copied.
  3. Whilst pasting in WinPV, make sure the headers co-relate with SEST
  4. Click on the top left cell and PASTE either using Ctrl+V
  5. Make sure you SAVE after each PASTE...!

I've attached the following:
  1. The original file (Thunderstorm's version of scFiat's performance & economy map after a dyno tune) (.dt0)
  2. My conversion of it from SEST to PowerVision (.pvt)

Will be trying it out sometime over the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Normally I'd agree re copy/paste... reasons are:
  1. People usually only have 1 monitor and have to swap between programs. I have 3.
  2. SEST does not always play ball whilst copying. The way around this is to click on the top left corner and drag all the way across to the bottom right. Then click on the COPY button on the menu just above the table. This ensures the data is properly copied.
  3. Whilst pasting in WinPV, make sure the headers co-relate with SEST
  4. Click on the top left cell and PASTE either using Ctrl+V
  5. Make sure you SAVE after each PASTE...!

I've attached the following:
  1. The original file (Thunderstorm's version of scFiat's performance & economy map after a dyno tune) (.dt0)
  2. My conversion of it from SEST to PowerVision (.pvt)

Will be trying it out sometime over the weekend.
Speedo cal table should have 1341 in the pv cal.
I can't open the sert on this desktop but opened the .pvt and compared to mine. Sure plenty of differences but seems all tables hit other then the speedo cal table. Charge dilution tables seem to be standard issue PV settings. Are they different in the sest cal?
Ron

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've only copied across the co-related tables as shown in my post above (which is actually all tables in SEST). There is no other information in SEST that I can copy across to WinPV.

I've used the stock Akra 2into1 from Dynojet's website as my base map in WinPV. Then added all values across from Thunderstorm/scFiat's map to this map.

If the data isn't shown on SEST, then I would not have copied it across... the rest of the data is still the original base map's data.
Does this make sense?

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I've only copied across the co-related tables as shown in my post above (which is actually all tables in SEST). There is no other information in SEST that I can copy across to WinPV.

I've used the stock Akra 2into1 from Dynojet's website as my base map in WinPV. Then added all values across from Thunderstorm/scFiat's map to this map.

If the data isn't shown on SEST, then I would not have copied it across... the rest of the data is still the original base map's data.
Does this make sense?
Yes.
Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts