Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the add-on siren from H-D that goes with the factory security system. The install was pretty painless, but the directions leaved something to be desired...

But the siren is not functioning at all. I'm sure that I have it connected correctly, but it does not chirp when setting/unsetting the alarm, and it does not make any audible noise when the alarm is set off.

So I returned the smart siren and got a replacement. Same problem. At this point I'm pretty sure that it's either the connector on the bike, the cable, or the security system module. Since the bike is basically new and still under warranty, I called the dealer where I bought it and told them the problem.

Their response was: "So, do you want us to install the siren?". :banghead:

Um no, I want you to fix the bike lol. :deal:

Anyway I made an appointment tomorrow, but after the phone conversation I'm a little afraid of bringing the bike in.

Everything else is running fine, and at this point I'm not even sure if I want the siren. But I definately want the problem fixed, on the chance that there is a more serious elecrical issue going on.

Oh well, I'll see what happens tomorrow. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey Jav,

Let us know how it works out. If you decide to keep it, I'm curious how sensitive it is. I have the security system...but without the siren/horn. Wondering if its the same thing except with noise. I like how its not that sensitive right now... unlike some car alarms.

Leon

·
Registered
214 Posts
What I would really like to do, is somehow wire the existing security sensor to the horn. Any electrical gurus that can figure this out?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Leon,

I have the siren installed on my bike. It's just a noise maker, and does not effect the system sensitivity. Hope that this helps...

-Bry

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Jav,

Just a thought, did you pull the maxi fuse before plugging in the module? I have been told that the module is sensitive to possible current spikes if plugged into a 'live' system.

-Bry

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hmmm... then I would definitely like to figure out how to use the existing horn.
Thanks!

·
Registered
974 Posts
You are scaring me.
I just bought the siren, It is in my rec room in the box right now.
I was hoping that it works fine with the good Doc's led stage 2 light set up.
Now I am worried that my alarm won't work too..........
I hope this is just a set up problem. Do you have the videotape on
setting up the H-D security system that you get with your new scoot ? Maybe there was info in that . ( I traded mine to a bud that collects them , but should be able to get a hold of it to view it if no one else has one.)
Good luck,
BobT

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I've got mine if you need it.I was going to watch again tonight and see if there is anything on my led problem.Let me know.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did pull the maxi fuse when I installed the siren (both times). We'll see what the techs say tomorrow....

·
Registered
696 Posts
FYI.. Per the Owners Manual the security system sensitivity is adjustable. Don't ask me to post it....wow what a convoluted process to go through :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
according to the directions that i have for the alarm add on........

i quote "The siren may not function properly when first installed. Nimh rechargeable batteries discharge fairly rapidly when stored. They will lose as much as 1-2% storage capactiy per day and after a few months of storage at room temperature will be mostly discharged. If stored for a very long period without charging, they may need a few charging cycles to regain their full capacity. To charge the Nimh battery, operate your motorcycle for a minimum of 4 hours."

so, the battery in the siren must be charged before it will work. i also installed the siren and it is silent. of course i haven't had the chance to ride my bike since i installed the siren, due to the weather.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can adjust the sensitivity of the alarm module, but the siren simply makes a noise when the alarm module sends it a signal. You can't adjust the audible siren.

And I did run it for 4 hours, but that wasn't the issue. The owners manual says (page 69 dude):

"If the siren does not "chirp" two or three times on a valid arming command from the security system, the siren is either not connected, not working, or the siren wiring was opened or shorted while the siren was disarmed".

The dealer looked at it for an hour, and said that the two of the pins on the connector had been pushed back and it was not making a connection. I believe them, but I did check the connector with a voltmeter at home. I guess when the connection was made it was pushing part of the leads on the motorcycle connector side back and not making a clean connection. This is something I should have caught and figured out before having to bring it to the dealer, but that's a $75 lesson I suppose.

On a better note, when got home from the dealer my new Windvest Windshield had arrived, so I installed that and drove it around a bit!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the looks of it a lot. I've only taken it on a couple of test rides so far, but it seems like it will work for me. At the factory setting it dropped the wind about my eyebrow level (I'm 6'1"), but it took all the wind off my chest. When I raised it an inch (to it's highest level) it put the wind at about the top of my helmet, but it lets a little more air through on the bottom. I haven't decided where I like it best yet. (The windshield is 14" wide by 16" tall). Quality and workmanship are great, and it was a very easy install.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I am glad you both like the windshield and got the siren operating.
BobT

·
HOG MEMBER
59 Posts
I got the siren but I want the pager next. That would cool as hell. You can sit in the bar and Know if some one is messing with your bike and are looking for an adjustment on top of the head. HEHE :ride:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Don't Bother w/ the Pager

Speed Demon, don't waste your money on the pager. It's not worth the money. It has extremely poor range. Unless you park right in front of the bar (i.e. close to the door) it won't work in the building.

Also the location of the transmitter is on top of the battery right in front of the air intake. It's fit is poor at best, and blocks some of the airflow. I still have mine on the bike, but will probably take it off once the weather breaks.

·
HOG MEMBER
59 Posts
bbruce65 said:
Speed Demon, don't waste your money on the pager. It's not worth the money. It has extremely poor range. Unless you park right in front of the bar (i.e. close to the door) it won't work in the building.

Also the location of the transmitter is on top of the battery right in front of the air intake. It's fit is poor at best, and blocks some of the airflow. I still have mine on the bike, but will probably take it off once the weather breaks.
Many thanks for the info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts