Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I bought the Harley chrome rear turn signals to put on my 2003 VRSCA. I have a few questions:

1) The instructions say to "insert a screwdriver into middle of hole in license plate light cover. Push forward to release tail lamp housing retaining clip." I've used both a phillips and flat screwdriver and I can't seem to release any clip (I can't even feel a clamp). Any help as to how to get that to release would be helpful. I have an LED tail light and I'm not sure if it is a Harley brand or aftermarket (I don't know if that matters or not).

2) My current rear turn signals are the Harley LED ones. Does anyone know if it is possible to take the LED lights and wires and place them in the chrome housing?

Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Honestly it is 5 bolts to remove the rear seat and rear fender (13MM and 10 MM if I remember correctly) and I find that easier than the screw driver trick (I'm lucky to get it 25% of the time so I gave up LOL).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have to drop the rear wheel to take the bolts that keep the fender on? I have no way of doing that if that's the case.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Nope. The fender lifts up. There are two pieces: the outer annodized skin and an inner black support fender. All you need to remove is the skin but the same bolts hold both on. Good luck.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
I still know it needs to be pushed in (maybe put som downforce pressure on the lens before)and than while keeping pressure try to move drivertip a little upwards... it's a pita but it can be done.
I dont have that hole anymore so i put a thick cloth on the fender and use a wide painters spackknife under the light and jack it out... no paint damage so far...But the fender is pretty fast taken off too.
The are led boards you can put in there like Heavycycles or Customdynamics ones (i dont make these) but keep in mind you need som form of load equilizer to replace the ballast of the bulbs

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to tell you guys I finally installed the chrome turn signals with the Custom Dynamics LED lights yesterday. Did it take you guys 3 hours to do too?

DUTCHROD-I used your method of getting the tail light off. When I jacked it up the first time only the one side came out and when I did it the second time to get the other side, the tab broke off (I jacked it exactly where the tab was...what are the odds?). Oh well, fortunately when I put the light back in, the one tab holds it nicely.

bproulxvrod-I remember from another thread I started in regards to the license plate holder mount. You said you drilled the bracket on your '03 (and your Dad's). Instead of drilling it, I just put the license plate over the cover, aligned the holes and put it on and it holds pretty well with just the license plate bolts!

Anyways, thanks for everyone's help! Once I clean the bike this weekend, I'll take pictures and put it in my gallery!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts