Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Which came first, your attitude or your Harley?

• My attitude was first: Don't hassle me man.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • My Harley changed me: Now get off my back man.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • What attitude? I have a sunny disposition.

Votes: 47 69.1%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Harley or Biker or Vrodder Attidude

Not all bikers have that biker attitude. But I think one reason we buy bad bikes is our bad biker attitudes.
Did your attitude change play a role in your buying a Harley, or did the Harley give you attitude? Take the poll but tell us more!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
My attitude came first. My Harley is the punctuation point.
Many a Hog Tale article wax poetically about how special biking is and how it lifts the spirit. True, but there are too sides to this coin. I think most of us have an attitude that matches our bike, and brand of bike.

This attitude doesn't mean you are not nice. No, most Harley riders and other bikers are nice, especially to other bikers, especially if they have the same brand and model. No wonder most of us get along. But if someone gives you attitude, you stand your ground right? And I'm not just talking biker to bikers. Your neighbor who complains about your lawn, the guy who doesn't like where you parked, the people who cut you off in traffic. Do you make nice with all these people or reserve the right to be a complete @$$ right back at them? If so, when did you assert yourself? Did that come before or after you bought a Harley? Did the Harley biker attitiude empower you, or change you in any way?

Me...My motto has been "never take the smile from anybody's face", but also "don't tread on me". I won't set out to spoil anyone's day, but I will if they try to spoil mine. That's my attidude. And I think that is very American, and very Harley whether you have a Vrod, Dyna, or Road King.

·
Revolution02
3,978 Posts
Hell Im the nicest guy I know unless someone pisses me off, then watch out! Arent we all this way?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
revolution02 said:
Hell Im the nicest guy I know unless someone pisses me off, then watch out! Arent we all this way?
Yeah, I think that sums me up too. I reserve the right to be an A$$ but I usually give ten times what I get. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Dave-04 said:

Not all bikers have that biker attitude. But I think one reason we buy bad bikes is our bad biker attitudes.
Did your attitude change play a role in your buying a Harley, or did the Harley give you attitude? Take the poll but tell us more!

I have a very good attittude and I am nice to everyone. But if I run into the biker attitude I dust my shoes off and walk away. Life is to short to be pissed off all the time. When I see the biker attitude I just figured it was because they arent rideing a v-rod. How can you have a bad attitude when we are on v-rods. I ride around with a smile on my face and a stiffy. :sinister:
:kaz:

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
I think I have the propensity to be an a$$hole...... but I'm a functional a$$hole.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy cow 68% sunny disposition so far. I guess you meet the nicest people on a Vrod. I don't entirely believe it though. I expect us to be decent to each other, and other bikers, especially while riding. But I also suspect there is a rebel lurking in most of us. Harley makes a mint on tapping into that rebel attitude.

·
buried alive oplin50
2,405 Posts
I'll probably get BBQ'd alive for this ....but

I think the Harley Attitude, and the V-rod owners attitude are 2 different things. ( sometimes gray areas but for the most part) After working for a dealership all year (well sorta) I've seen two sides. The old school guys walk by and treat us worse than if we were sitting there on a Hayabusa. Man there are a BUNCH of these ! And I really have a sore spot on this part of the subject. EXAMPLE I was at a bike night at an Icecream place here ( he was trying to get a night going all year) the owner rides an EVO harley , but advertised the bike night as an OPEN deal "all bikes welcome" (Was in the family truckster this night) Well the deal was bring a bike for bike night and get a coupon for a free ?? anyway there were about 15 bikes there when we pulled in. all H-D or look-a-likes . Well my father n law was with us, told me about him having trouble getting a night started. ( i thought it should be easy in 2004 ) and maybe we could bring the race set-up for the Project V , and the other set-up for the outlaw Zuk. So im thinking about all our friends we race with , with the big fancy funny bikes and the sportbikes that are all stretched, the guys from the shop on their H-D's , and the local Vrodders as well. and I'm thinking I'll get this gig done for him, include some cool free PR for the V-rod, and Possib. get an Icecream sponsor out of the deal ( hey free is free!!! he he he )

I noticed a few sport bikes pull in , hang around and leave w/o anyone saying a word to them. One H-D EVO pulls in and the owner is running over there to give the guy a coupon and the H-D EVO club runs over to ooo and aaaah over the showroom stock bike. ( this isnt right ????) My dadnlaw intro's me to the owner of the icecream store and brings up the Project V ( w/o mentioning bringing it down or helping start a bike night ) he says, with the EVO club standing around him, and I quote "WE DON'T LIKE THE VROD.......IT'S NOT A REAL HARLEY" unquote. Now at this point the entire year of working our asses off for a h_d dealer, on an american made H-d product slammed through my head and stopped right before my mouth. Had I been 21 the scene prob. would have been ugly. but Im 40, and had something started " I didnt know how many evo riders it would have taken to kick my ass, but i knew how many they would probably use" he he he
I just stated" The V-rod is an American Made H-D, made in an H-D plant in KC, USA, by H-D employees. Then I pointed to a bike that had been the center of his sucking, oops i mean attention all night . It was a Jesse frame, and had Jesse bullets all over it and Jesse wheels and exhaust, and the rest was machined by the guy or bought from dennis kirk, not a HARLEY MADE PIECE ON IT! I also informed him that the Shovel's and Pan head guys said the EXACT same thing about his EVO motor as well. We left, .....The plan is now to talk the grocery store down the road into a bike night , on the same night as his, but ALL BIKES WILL BE WELCOME.

Anyway, the first time we ever had the chance to ride w/ more that one or 2 other V-rods was at the Rally. if a Sport bike went by we all gave the hi sign as we would for anyone, because he was riding! Not because he was on a certain bike. hell I dont even own one because at this time in life I just cant justify the $$. We have soo much tied up in the bikes we have, and our families, and our kids are growing up and on and on . I will have one of my own one day, but Im lucky right now all I have to do is ask and there are several I can take where I want.

With a Vrod, you can put a sissy bar on it, dress in black leather from head to toe, with fringe and all...and thats great and accepted.

You can lower it , dip it in candy custom, trailer it to carshows only, and that is great and accepted, you can slam it build it , race the piss out of it , and that is great and accepted. When we were together, at KC we would stand w/ one from each catagory have a ball talking about stuff and get a hug when we left!

We are trying to open eyes but until then, you can keep the "Harley Attitude" that we know down here. Give me the V-rod attitude any day. We are in it for the ride, for the HP, and a ton of other reasons EXCEPT worrying about what others think.

Rob Lewis aka the UPSMAN

·
High Performance
276 Posts
I have ridden a bike for just about as long as I was able to.
I do not think my attitude has changed much over the years.
Like Popeye says " I am what I am"
If you don't like it, you are the one with a problem.
Let's ride.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Jeff said:
I have ridden a bike for just about as long as I was able to.
I do not think my attitude has changed much over the years.
Like Popeye says " I am what I am"
If you don't like it, you are the one with a problem.
Let's ride.
:whack: :plause: :plause: i am what i am when i am it :plause: :plause: :whack:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I've always been an Erogant A$$hole :alien: ! Now I'm just one with the Fastest V-rods in The World :diablo: !Nothings changed except my Bank Account! :eek: Had the Baddest Ducati's on the Planet and Loved Them but the V-rod is just COOL!Now it Needs a Little bit of Modding"LIKE EVERYTHING I OWN :twisted: " but it's The Bike To Have IMHO,and I could Have any bike I want! :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
70%? No attitude? Ok, Kaz I know you must have voted attitude.
I think my original question is flawed or something. The 3rd choice was meant as a bail out for the "plays nice with everyone" folks which I expected to be just a few.
Mainly, I'm trying to say that most of us do not care about always getting along with everyone. We will stick to our guns, give better than we get, etc.
UPSMAN, your post shows you have an attitude. You won't take crap, you stand up for yourself.
So now I have to call folks some out... although this is a confidential vote and these folks may have already voted...but I know they have a heathly dose of biker, Harley, or Vrod attitude.
MJW...I read your helmet stickers. You and your wife are nice, but I can tell you also have some biker attitude.
Vroddrew..."Can't we all just get along?" is not your motto.
Vrodrick74... no comment bro We've mixed it up before. ;-)
Wingnut.... strong tude
Cool Breeze, willing to fight the good fight verbally if necessary
Elrod... come on, you threw some girls keys in the woods.
Karl Scott... havin a vegamite sandwich right now...
Lets see, who am I forgetting?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...and HooliganVrod...read your Rolex post. :thumb: Definite biker tude.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts