Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The front brake on my 2003 is grabbing (too rough to class as pulsing) during stops under 40mph. Above 40mph the problem is obviously still there, but manifests itself more as a vibration or pulsing. I've read plenty of posts about pulsing, and cannot find anything that relates to my issue.

Bike was fine.
Removed the front wheel and rotors to have tire installed.
Got the balanced wheel back with new tire.
Reinstall everything and torque to spec.

The rotors do not appear to be warped (using my high tech method of taping a ruler to the fork and turning the wheel), though I get the standard swishing noise that everyone seems to have with HD pads.

All pistons move out when the brakes are applied, and seem to return well by applying some pressure to the pad with a screwdriver.

Bled the brakes to ensure there was no air in the system.

The brakes aren't exactly brand new, but do not appear to be worn out either. Just seems like something went awry during re-installation, but I can't figure out what. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Also, I see many references to checking the washers to make sure the rotor can float. Approximately how far should the rotor be able to move for proper operation?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I wonder if there was some lube or residue left on either the pads or one of the rotors. If it was my bike, I would remove the rotors and pads. I would lightly sand the brake pads, just to rough them up a bit, and possibly the rotors too. Maybe 150 grit or so. Then clean the pads and brake rotors thoroughly with brake cleaner and test them out.

If that didn't work, I'd replace the pads (provided you already bled the system.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The system has been bled to ensure no air in the system.

I'll pull it all back apart this evening and give all of the parts a good cleaning to see if anything changes.

25 Posts
RE: Front brake Grabbing

Did you ever fix the problem? If your discs have slight warp 1/32 inch they should still float enough for it to not be an issue. Check your discs, they should have 1/16 inch of play. If they are cranked down tight the least little warp will become pronounced. See the video, the left side that has play is good. The right side is bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts