Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

hard bags for 2003 vrod, corbin???

8K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  Qman 
#1 ·
Need to get some good bags for my 03 Vrod. from the research I have done is corbin the best? been lookin dont see any pre-owned for sale not even on ebay LOL.

Really though how much extra space do you really get? I will be doing long distance traveling.

#3 ·
<<<<<------ see avatar
I have the old (and I think now unavailable) HD hard bags
They actually fit quite a bit of gear.
I have fit 2 pairs of jeans, raingear, and 2 shirts into one side and all my spare gloves, hats, and personal bathroom bag in the other.

I hunted down the part number...maybe you'll get lucky
91492-01 BDJ
91493-01 BDJ

#4 ·
I have the Fleetliners (thanks to Pat) on a 2008. I really like them...fit and finish are excellent! As for long distance traveling, you're gonna need some type of rack bag too in my opinion. The Corbins are great for keeping stuff locked up and dry. I personally added a GIVI 460 case which, in a way, is along the some visual lines as the Fleetliners...so I kind of like the look.

#5 ·
Gonna research the fleetliners tonight, also I put the part unmbers in on the HD bags but only got a price not how much interior room they had.

My goal is to have one of the bags dedicated to the "riding gear" I will need rain gear, extra sweat shirt, warmer riding jacket ect. then the other for my cell phone and the basic stuff, Soon as I find a good hard bag set then I can get a better idea on the detachable 3rd bag for my cloths ect.

I will admit I like the corbins but not sure if I like them 1200 dollars worth and I am going to assume that doesnt include the price to paint them to match my bike (vivid black).

I just found out Vmoded makes some bags I might drive there tomorrow (dont life far from there shop) and see what they have ect.

#6 ·
I could be wrong here, but I think (for your year of bike) you mean the Beetle Bags...I don't think the Fleetliners will fit a 2003.

The Fleetliners DO come painted, but it looks like the Beetles only come primed.

I would also suggest trying your Harley dealer for the bags if they sell Corbin products. I purchased my Fleetliners from my local dealer and saved because I didn't have to pay shipping AND they sold them at a discount...of course, I had to pay tax, but I still saved like $150.00...some money you could put towards paint?

#7 ·
well so far i havent even found the fleetliners web site. so if someone could post I would be thankful, I will check tomorrow to see if my dealer or a dealer sells the corbin products. the ideal thing would be for me to just find a decent used set. I am going to also call my local HD dealer to see if they can give me the specs on the hard bags starrzzz mentioned.

#9 ·
yeah I just realized, I did find a corbin dealer in my state not to far plus they sell other hard bags. In the next day or so I will go and compare space ect. I am thinking no matter how I look at it unless I find a pre-owned set I am going to be spending around 1500.00 for the bags unless I can find a dealer who will give me a discount of some type. Now I see why my friends say HD = Hundereds of Dollars LOL.

#12 ·
Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I've been through two sets of HD bags (one leather and one hard) and finally got the corbin beetle bags and really like then so far. Both sets of Harley bags fell apart, so if you're going for long term use, especially in the winter, stay clear of the HD bags.

#16 ·
Both sets of Harley bags fell apart, so if you're going for long term use, especially in the winter, stay clear of the HD bags.
I WILL say this...my HD hard bags have gone through 2 sets of locks and every once in a while, one of my lids doesn't like to lock into place when I close it.....it always DOES..but sometimes it takes 3-4 times to get it to "click" shut.

#14 ·
Well with it being new years I havent been able to actually look other then what I have found on the net. I have found a few options other then the corbin. There are two schools of thought with the guys I ride with. the first get you something that will last a few years and call it a day. the second, since you are doing so much to your bike this winter get something that will last you the comming riding season then get the beetle bags this time next year.

Both make sense, Monday or Tues I am going to go to V-modd shop (I live less then an hour a way) and look at the beetle bags, plus a harley saddle bag set up which will give me the room I am looking for, and the V-modd bagger solution and then make my decision from there. In a perfect world I would find a used set of beetle bags but in this day age and economy a perfect world is wishing on a star LOL.

Will keep you posted

#15 ·
Look at F bags.700, hold a lot, available. Joe

#17 ·
As I've posted elsewhere, I really like my "F" bags. I even posted pics of how to mount them to a set of standard pre '05 (or something) bag brackets, if you don't mind them being out and back. I need them out to clear the tourpak.

If I had the energy, I'd modify the backs to remove the shock notch and gain some more storage capacity, but I really don't have the time or need.

They seem pretty watertight, and are replaceable, at least for a while.

#27 ·
...but if it's a TASTE thing... :hidesbeh:

#24 ·
Pat...really? Don't enable someone with THOSE!

LOL.

#28 ·
Someone has put the dyna locking saddlebags on a v-rod (entire thread on it with mounting instructions) and it is one of the better-looking setups in my opinion. I want to do that mod this winter when I get caught up on bills. They are pretty reasonably priced (570+) and you can find them on e-bay. I want to get mine set up so that they are detachable.

#35 ·
Well something like a messed up economy messed up my street glide idea so now I am back in the "needing" long last bag solution.

I am thinking the cobrin is still my only way to go. even if I went to a dyna solution or a F bag solution considering leather vs fiberglass and the fact the corbins have 3331 total cubic inches of space for the $1200.00 price tag I think I have to go with those unless there are other options with the same or greater space?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.