Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Less than six months ago I bought my first V-Rod. A turbocharged and slammed yellow '06 SE. The ride was horrible. It was all I could do to get it to turn with extra wide rear tire and the mega-stiff suspension. It was loud as he!! and made my ears ring every time I rode it. I had to ride with my right leg contorted to keep it off of the turbo system. In short, it was amazing to look at and to see run. It would all but rip my arms out of the sockets under acceleration. It was a true love/hate relationship. A friend started bugging me to buy it from me and I ended up selling it at a profit. A first for me. So a few days ago I pick up a used low-mileage '09 AW that is bone stock. Quiet, comfortable, and boring. Just like me. I have no intention to make it any louder or faster. My buddy came over with the SE yesterday and I salivated a bit, but am more than happy to have a well-mannered bargain-basement stocker under me! Oh, and an extra $10k in my pocket between the selling prices.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Lol...good for you on your "down grade".

I added some Tabs to my boring AW and am completely happy:). For me the AW is a great balance between performance and ride comfort.

And now I have a collectors item too! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Any thoughts of changing susp. and exh. on the SE? Just a thought? Not sure if you wanted/could go that route?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any thoughts of changing susp. and exh. on the SE? Just a thought? Not sure if you wanted/could go that route?
I did think of that. I added a baffle to the exhaust pipe and it didn't do much of anything, if anything at all. I'd have had to re-engineer the exhaust coming out of the turbo and to get it as quiet as I'd have liked would have killed quite a bit of power. The first owner also put 12" Progressive 440's and Progressive lowering springs on. I know I could have gone back to stock, and I actually did increase rear preload and lowered the fork tubes in the trees to gain an inch, but it was just too stiff. I intended to do that next until my friend started waving $$$ at me. I'm not sure I wouldn't seek out another '06 SE2, but I'd want one closer to stock to start with than what I had.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Thats understandable..

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
smart move!!!

Less than six months ago I bought my first V-Rod. A turbocharged and slammed yellow '06 SE. The ride was horrible. It was all I could do to get it to turn with extra wide rear tire and the mega-stiff suspension. It was loud as he!! and made my ears ring every time I rode it. I had to ride with my right leg contorted to keep it off of the turbo system. In short, it was amazing to look at and to see run. It would all but rip my arms out of the sockets under acceleration. It was a true love/hate relationship. A friend started bugging me to buy it from me and I ended up selling it at a profit. A first for me. So a few days ago I pick up a used low-mileage '09 AW that is bone stock. Quiet, comfortable, and boring. Just like me. I have no intention to make it any louder or faster. My buddy came over with the SE yesterday and I salivated a bit, but am more than happy to have a well-mannered bargain-basement stocker under me! Oh, and an extra $10k in my pocket between the selling prices.
Congratulations!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts