Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how the reduced reach bars will relate to handling on other models, but the position of the bars makes a difference in controlling the bike on my 2005 B.

I discovered that changing the position of reduced reach bars from having the grip portions straight back, horizontal with the road to minimize reach for the rider, that angling the bars down to where they clear the airbbox cover about 1/2 inch from lock to lock in the steering, makes the bike much easier to steer.

I had those reduced reach bars on since I bought the 2005 B new back in 8/04 and never knew any better. The bike just never felt right to me manuevering it in any way at slow or fast speeds. Yes, I could shift the bike back and forth in my lane by pressing on the bars, but the bike never felt responsive to my efforts. My previous bikes were Asian bikes about 900cc and 400 pounds, and a $2500 Trek mountain bike. By comparison, the V-Rod has been like manuevering a boulder along the road.

Quite by accident I discovered it doesn't have to be that way. I recently hit a short but pronounced depression horizontally across a road on hard acceleration and in addition to compressing my spine so I am now 2 inches shorter, the handle bars moved down beside the air box cover (also had to change my shorts). So there I was in the middle of heavy traffic at about 50 mph pulling up on the bars so I could make the next turn (call me crazy for not stopping in the middle of that mess)-

what I discovered by getting the bars up high enough to turn them, was that the bike now handled like a dream. The slightest shift in weight or pressure on the bars and the bike effortlessly does whatever I want it to do.

It now rides like a totally different bike. It's like waking up one day to find your wife has been transformed into some heavenly creature who does whatever you ask of her, immediately, without hesitation, and begs to do more. Now if only. . .

·
Not from 'round here
1,632 Posts
ABQNMVROD said:
......... It's like waking up one day to find your wife has been transformed into some heavenly creature who does whatever you ask of her, immediately, without hesitation, and begs to do more. Now if only. . .
Did you consider having HER hit a short but pronounced depression horizontally across a road on hard acceleration and compressing her spine so she will be 2 inches shorter, (also change her shorts).

Oh, am I in trouble now.....:angeldev:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Electro said:
Did you consider having HER hit a short but pronounced depression horizontally across a road on hard acceleration and compressing her spine so she will be 2 inches shorter, (also change her shorts).

Oh, am I in trouble now.....:angeldev:
she's short enough already, besides, she's seen how i drive the bike and won't do 2 up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you mean the bike handled better with the bars raised or lowered? I bought my bike and it already had the reduced reach bars and I am not sure whether it would be more comfortable for me at 6' tall to switch back to the standard bars to reduce shoulder and back fatigue.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Better with ends of bars lowered

It handles better with the ends of the bars lowered. They were originally installed in a position with the grip areas rather parallel to the road so that would be the minimum reach for the rider. By lowering them so they are about 1/2 inch from touching the air box when you turn the steering from lock to lock, it handles better for my height, weight, 140 pounds, 5-7. The bike feels like it responds naturally, like what I have been used to riding other motorcycles and bicycles. It did not feel like that before which made me uncomfortable pushing it too far in turns. I road it for about 3600 miles adjusted from the dealer, and about 20 miles since the change in position.

In the past 200 miles my speed in turns is up 20 to 35% and it feels comfortable to me at those higher speeds based on how the bike responds, the feedback I get from my efforts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts