Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to this forum. I have been reading bits and pieces about a similar problem I have with my 07DX.
I have installed the reduced reach handlebars (internally wired). When I completed the install (thanks to some nice pictures I found on this forum for the electrical connectors) I noticed that in my rookie stupidity, I had not disconnected the battery, and a fuse on the t/s was blown.
I replaced the fuse, but only my right turn signal and running light in the rear is working. I have no horn, left turn signal, and no brake lights (neither with the foot or hand brake). When I walk away from the bike. It ARMS and the turn signals all around flash twice, so I know they are working.
Everything else is working, I can start the bike and ride it. After a lot of reading I checked the codes, and cleared a b1004,(seemed to fix an intermittently working fuel guage) but that was it, and now I have no codes coming up.
I am afraid I read somwhere that the TSSM may need to be replaced. Is there any way to reset it, or do additional diagnostics?
As a side note, I have checked all the connections, cleared all the codes, and prayed three times already. ( have been reading a lot of your forum posts in case you didn't notice)
Any help would be great, I don't want to have to make three right turns every time I have to go left.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The tssm sounds as though it is working since your lights work with the alarm.

I'm betting you have some wires crossed in the plugs. Also check to make sure you got the bent spring metal back in the hand control for the brake lights. Double check all the fuses if you didn't disconnect the battery before you started.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MAX, I will try that today, and post my findings. I made a sketch of each plug before I took the wires out. I am 99 percent sure I put them back the same way. Does anyone have sketches I can use to verify that I didn't make a mistake when I did my sketches? The ones I did were for the right, and left hand controls, and the turn signals. I did notice that the right hand control has two orange wires with a white stripe, I may have got those two wires reversed (not sure if it makes any difference since they are marked the same)

·
VRSCX #395
206 Posts
i just done mine yesterday and i was in the same dillema, when i went to put the terminals back in the connector noticed 2 orange with white wires, had it all written down but didnt notice then, but after carefully looking one of them has a black texta mark trying to cover the white, which trys to make it black with orange which connects to the only spare wire black with orange.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved. I swapped the orange/white stripe wires around, and now everything works. I did take a close look at my wires, mine do not have any black marks on them, they are identical orange with a white stripe.
bummer for me I broke the little plunger end off the brake light switch (even had the cardboard wedged in the lever. What a piece of s&%t. I just drilled into the end of the plunger and put a rounded head screw into it. works like a charm.
Couldn't have done it without this website, you guys are great, I was convinced I had to replace my tssm, until I posted. Never would have figured out how to take apart the wire connectors without your tech area, and I had no idea that the bike had error codes in the speedo until I read about it here. The dealership wanted $684.00 taxes in to install my $49.00handlebars. If I knew what they know, I could have done it in about 2 hours. I still only spent about 2-1/2 hours doing it (subtracting the troubleshooting for my rookie mistake). Thanks again

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. The wires can be confusing because of so many similar wires. I also use a marker to make lines on wires to match them up. In other words when I have several the same color before I separate them I will make 1, 2 or 3 marks on the two halves that mate. It makes it quick and easy. Always faster to spend more time before I take something apart then it is to figure it out going back together. A digital camera is always handy when you start any project, spend five minutes taking pictures it can save you hours of aggravation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics

Here is a pic of my bike with the bars on it, I still have some cleanup to do on the cables, and brake line to make it perfect, but it look spretyy good right now.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts