Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I love my V rod muscle 2017,
I decided to take it for a long ride from San Bernardino to San Francisco and it is a long ride.
I found that I do need a windshield,foot boards and to change my handle bars so I can have a more uprighted position.
I went to Harley Davidson to ask for any help and definitely the answer you all know.

Do you guys know a place where I can customize my bike and make it more long rides friendly ?
Thanks and have a safe rides .

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
The best thing to help your riding position (imho) is the Budman Riser-- it brings the stock bars up and back approximately the same position as the old "Reduced Reach" kit H-D used to sell for the F. And, you can keep the stock bars with no changes to cabling, etc.

budmanriser.com is the website.

Additionally, if you use the riser, you can use the late-model DX headlight shield if that floats your boat.

Budman also sells an adapter kit that will allow you to use the stock H-D F shield with the riser.

There are a few other shields out there, but I don't have a lot of direct knowledge. Rifle makes a larger & wider shield, but you have to supply the stock hardware.

One other possibility to consider instead of floorboards is a grippier peg, such as the RSD Moto peg (the 45 degree one). I have them on my F and have done several road trips with no issues--- the difference in the top of the peg has always kept my foot planted.

If you go to the thread "The Modifications Begin" in the F section, you'll find pictures of the pegs, the riser, the DX shield and how the windshield adapters look.

Good luck.

R.

PS: No affiliation with Budman-- it's just a damn good piece of kit that kept me from selling my bike due to the horrible clamshell riding position.

·
Captain DeadPool
660 Posts
+1 for the Budman riser. It’s definitely one of the best mods for the Muscle. The ability to keep the factory bars is a huge plus. I ordered mine with the windshield parts. I didn’t have one at the time, but it was on my list of things to get for the bike. As far as footboards go, I rotated the peg mounts around and use the Kuryakyn mini footboards. They have a ton of adjustment in them. Here is a picture of how my foot controls look. I also highly recommend the Fehling engine guard. I’ve tried both of the HD ones and they can be used, but they don’t really match the Muscle.

FBJ is our local Muscle expert. And of course there is tons of knowledge here. Welcome to the party. Enjoy the best thing to ever come from Harley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for you help ,I will definitely follow ur advised because I wanna keep my bike ,as it is the best thing came out of HD for sure .
I went to HD and every time I ask them for anything for the V rod ,they start to sell me another bike !!!!
And seriously,I don’t want to change my bike .

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
I went to HD and every time I ask them for anything for the V rod ,they start to sell me another bike !!!!
And seriously,I don’t want to change my bike .
It's usually best to avoid the dealer with the V-Rod; especially now that it's out of production. They didn't know much about it when it was for sale, and they certainly know little to nothing about it now.

The forum here is an outstanding source of information-- if you can't find the answer in a search, there are always a few people about who usually know the answer.

One other recommendation is to chase down a shop manual and electrical manual-- they're VERY helpful if you're going to be working on your bike at all.

Enjoy your bike-- imho it's one of (if not the) best platform that H-D ever produced.

So, of course, they threw it away-- not enough chrome, I guess.

R.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello guys,
I love my V rod muscle 2017,.........Do you guys know a place where I can customize my bike and make it more long rides friendly ?Thanks and have a safe rides .
I've got my 2011 pics posted over on the V-Rod Bagger forum ( https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167768 ) if you want to take a look. I can't get them to post here since they are over there.

Here's what I did to make it more long ride friendly. All HD items.
Mini-floorboards are 50451-09,(not suppose to fit but they did on my 2011)
Riser and clamp kit is 55900008,
VRSC pull back handlebars are 57466-10.

I did a lot more to make a sport touring model, but changing out the pegs and putting on the VRSC handlebars helps on long rides.

I got the windshield and all the hardware to add it on with the pull backs, but went with the fairing instead, so I never put it on.

Good luck with yours. I've had a blast on mine for the last 8 years!!

Regards,

bikermikeflhtcu

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Chubbs" outlaw apes, fit v rod handle bar riser perfectly. You'll have to find a bike shop extension wire kit to lengthen the wires, run through the bar and splice stock connectors at handlebars center slot. Magnum Shielding for throttle cables and longer length clutch lever fluid hose.Check cycle visions for v rod floor board mounts.Then install HD dimensioned floor boards . I've done all this to my bike with only V Mods back in the days advice. I replaced shift and brake pedals to "reduced reach" forward controls. This requires right hand removal of the frame tube from another model forward controls located master cylinder. I also found a "Russell " 12" over stock brake dual assembly that I had to cut and have a DOT certified brake shop modify and braze the right ends. These are the most difficult things to do with these bikes cuz no one sells anything known to verifiably be the correct part the first time you spend money. Now the bike has even more stuff done to it, I'll attach

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts