Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Just bought the VRSCR (2006) and am sure that I need to change out the handlebars and possible the shocks.. I am only 5'7" so the bars are simply not back far enough.

This forum seems like a great place for REAL information..So this will be my 1st post..

So what is the best way to get the bars back?
1) Get a taller riser?
2) Get some different bars? If so, what bars?

I have located a set of OEM VRSCB bars that in the pic look like they would be a great bar.. Has anybody installed this bar on the Street Rod?

Would a CUSTOM Built pull back riser be just as good?

Also, on the Ronnies Harley Fiche.. the parts break down show everything but the HandleBar part numbers. Very odd... Is there a better site to view OEM parts numbers?

Thanks in advance for all the help

·
Registered
334 Posts
There is about 300 other vrscr owners that have had to do the same thing with the bars. Do a search here and find the info you need. I used vrod "B" bars and bought a longer front brake hose to use the bars. The electrics just reach. I lowered the rear shocks 1" with a lowering kit bought on EBay.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,162 Posts
Some members have had luck with blacked out Nightster (XL1200N) bars as well.

If you go with bars with more pullback, you'll most likely have to change the brake and clutch lines as well. Depending on the bar, you may or may not get lucky.

If you use a 2007 R bar, you'll have to change the front brake line to the 2007 model; the rear brake line and clutch line will still work.

R.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some members have had luck with blacked out Nightster (XL1200N) bars as well.

If you go with bars with more pullback, you'll most likely have to change the brake and clutch lines as well. Depending on the bar, you may or may not get lucky.

If you use a 2007 R bar, you'll have to change the front brake line to the 2007 model; the rear brake line and clutch line will still work.

R.

Thanks for info.. So, how different are the 07 bars from the 06? I THINK i just need a little more height and pull back.. nothing crazy

·
Departed the Fix.
5,162 Posts
Thanks for info.. So, how different are the 07 bars from the 06? I THINK i just need a little more height and pull back.. nothing crazy
The 2006 OEM R handlebar (#55997-06, chrome) is 29" tip to tip, 2.5" pull back and 1.5" rise.

The 2007 OEM R handlebar (#56981-07, satin black) is 30.5" tip to tip, 3.25" pull back and 3.5" rise.

In comparison, the bars from a 2010 Sportster Nighster (XL1200N) are 31" tip to tip, 5.75" pull back and 6" rise.

If you swap a 2006 bar with a 2007, you need a new brake and clutch line from personal experience (you *might* get the clutch line to work if you are extremely creative in how you route the line behind the front frame member).

R.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 2006 OEM R handlebar (#55997-06, chrome) is 29" tip to tip, 2.5" pull back and 1.5" rise.

The 2007 OEM R handlebar (#56981-07, satin black) is 30.5" tip to tip, 3.25" pull back and 3.5" rise.

In comparison, the bars from a 2010 Sportster Nighster (XL1200N) are 31" tip to tip, 5.75" pull back and 6" rise.

If you swap a 2006 bar with a 2007, you need a new brake and clutch line from personal experience (you *might* get the clutch line to work if you are extremely creative in how you route the line behind the front frame member).

R.
Bar Diameter Height Width Pullback Center Clamp Area

VRSCA V-Rod A 2003 - 2004 1" 5" 28" 10" 5" Welded Risers
VRSCB V-Rod B 2004 - 2005 1" 6-1/2" 29-1/2" 8" 5" 4" one piece
VRSCD V-Rod Night Rod 2006 - 2008 1" 6-1/2" 29-1/2" 8" 5" 4" one piece
VRSCR V-Rod Street Rod 2006 - 2007 1" 3" 28" 4" 5" 4" one piece
VSRCDX V-Rod Night Rod Special 2007 - 2011 1" 3" 28" 4" 5" 4" one piece
VSRCDX V-Rod Night Rod Special 2013 1" 6" 32" 10" 6" 2-1/2" x 4-1/2"
VSRCX V-Rod 2007 1" 3" 28" 4" 5" 4" one piece
VSRCAW V-Rod 2007 - 2010 1" 8" 30" 11" 5" 4" one piece

So now I am a bit confused.. The Handle bar chart show the R bars as different from what you have listed.

Which dimension is correct?

Thanks for all the advise

·
Departed the Fix.
5,162 Posts
VRSCR V-Rod Street Rod 2006 - 2007 1" 3" 28" 4" 5" 4" one piece

So now I am a bit confused.. The Handle bar chart show the R bars as different from what you have listed.

Which dimension is correct?

Thanks for all the advise
I pulled those numbers from the H-D Handlebar Compatibility Chart which the MoCo has conveniently taken off of their website (I had to remember where I'd posted it here from a few years back).

As for the numbers above for the R, they only list a single set of numbers for both the 2006 and the 2007, so I'd be a little hesitant to trust them considering the bikes had two completely different handlebars.

I posted the part numbers for both bars above. You could probably take them to your local dealer and see if he still has access to the compatibility chart and cross-check and verify.

The dealer has to be good for *something*, right?

R.

PS: Fwiw, since I had a 2006 and I put 2007 bars on it, I personally think my numbers are correct, but that's just my 0.02.

R.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
No way that I know of to put a riser on the R-- the bars are clamped. As well, you'll run into clamshell issues.

R.
I did. I mounted the riser, top clamp and instrument housing from a DX on my R. It was a straight bolt on, no drama at all. I am running drag bars with this set up, but you could mount stock DX bars on these, with longer brake and clutch hoses, and have a bit more height and pull back. The R gauges slide right in to the DX guage housing. I used a little black adhesive insulation to fill in a gap between the housing and speedo, as the DX housing is a bit larger in spots than the R gauges. Looks stock (the dealer thinks it's stock, heh, heh, heh).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did. I mounted the riser, top clamp and instrument housing from a DX on my R. It was a straight bolt on, no drama at all. I am running drag bars with this set up, but you could mount stock DX bars on these, with longer brake and clutch hoses, and have a bit more height and pull back. The R gauges slide right in to the DX guage housing. I used a little black adhesive insulation to fill in a gap between the housing and speedo, as the DX housing is a bit larger in spots than the R gauges. Looks stock (the dealer thinks it's stock, heh, heh, heh).
Ok, so here is my confusion with the DX bars... The measurements on Flanders website shows the R and the DX as the same measurements. So does the Flanders site have it wrong??
Now , I simply do not know what bars the R has on it?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
2007 R and DXs have the same handlebar. The 2006 R handlbar is narrower and is polished instead of matte black powdercoat.

·
Live Free Or Die
330 Posts
I have the B bars on mine. Very comfortable riding position.
So do I.

Kels, be aware that the stock bars put the mirrors in an almost useless position. Be aware that B bars will need new brake, clutch and throttle cables. Part number 55997-06 for the stock bars. I highly recommend the VRSCB bars. The increased width and pullback transformed my bike into one that I can ride all day.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry to hijack but I have a related question that seems to be partially answered here. I'm 6' and the riding position in general seems comfortable to me, with one exception. I've had a couple times where my shoulders start getting uncomfortable, and I think its because the bars are too narrow for me (I've got broad shoulders, had to switch handlebars on my racing bicycle as well).

B bars the best option? Or getting a different set of bars (never had anything but stock so I have no idea how drag bars or anything would change the riding position).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, So I have bought some DX bars (found good deal on them on EBAY) so, I will need a new brake like.. Would it just be better to purchase the brake line assy for the DX or even the Vrod Muscle (2009)from Harley?? Wouldn't this give me the required lengths?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts