Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty bold statements made in this video. I like the hammer and have rode a few but they just won't take my F. I live fourteen miles from the Victory factory and there are quite a few Victories running around in the general area.

Any comments???

The Video--

·
Registered
801 Posts
I like those bikes. I looked em up a while back. I was impressed with the torque numbers they advertised. As far as advertising 39% more displacement? Meh, that's a wasted point. Last dyno shootout I went to my bike pulled 110hp (untuned) and the 2 M109 Boulevards yanked out 115 and 119. Going from a 1130cc motor to a big ass 1800cc and only pulling 5-9 more horses out and being about the same in the quarter mile just proves that more displacement doesn't = a better or faster bike. I know, 5-9 horsepower on a bike is a bit different than 5-9 on a car, but it's only a tenth quicker, which is a drivers race.

Shooting out some numbers, from this 2010 MCM performance index. Here's some comparisons. I'll use the '09 Hammer 106 Premium since it's the better of the two in the list, and the 2010 Muscle since they're comparing it to a Muscle. I'll even add the 07 8 ball since it's even more powerful than the Hammer here.
www.imagebam.com/image/e19f96161615856

--------------------- Hp------Tq--------1/4 Mile-- 1/4MPH------0to60----0to100
2010 Muscle-----105-----73--------11.73-----113.79-------3.73-----9.06
2009 Hammer----90------104-------12.33-----106.65-------4.03-----11.25
2007 8 Ball-------104----110-------11.91-----113.26-------3.88-----9.82

For the record (since I mentioned the Suzuki Boulevard) the '09 M109 pulled 104hp, 97ft/lbs.. and an 11.62 1/[email protected] So it's a tenth faster than the Muscle (but still almost twice the displacement and pulling the same numbers).

They can say theirs offers more value than the Muscle, but the numbers don't lie. When you're half a second slower in the quarter but boasting about 39% more displacement and have more torque, it's not even funny. Half a second in the quarter mile is a BIG deal when you're deep into the 11s and 12s.
I like the Victory. I'd honestly consider getting one, but if a salesman told me it was faster than a Vrod or other bike I'd just have to laugh. I might be wrong, but doesn't the Vmax kind of hold the trophy for fastest power cruiser? Edit: just looked it up. '09 Vmax, 10.30 quarter. That's a monster. Still wouldn't own one because of how ugly it is.

Anyways. I do like the lines of that bike. It's pretty clean. I'd black it out and do some red accents.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I was reading a MCN comparison review between the Hammer and the V rod they stated Hammer laid down very respectable torque numbers,much better than the V ROD.Then at the end said that if you're sitting at a light and a v rod pulls up next to you....LOOK THE OTHER WAY
I have lined up with one or two and they pull better off the line but the v rod will do a fly by in short order.I also know for a fact the hammer falls on it face at 75mph because it run out of breath
Two different animals the hammer is a long stroke torque machine and the v rod is a short stroke hp motor.To me the v rod feels like an inline 4 more than a v twin which is why i bought it.I rode the v max the hammer and the v rod.Yamaha replaced the maxim with the v max which is what i had intended to buy after my maxim finally died but the v rod was far superior in every aspect except power.The hammer just had no balls at speed in comparison to either.I don't think the v max is ugly but other than the motor they cheaped out,the twichy forks scare me.Anyone who has rode one aggressively knows what i mean.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
My Shovelhead gives them a run. Well the fisrt generation Victorys. My Shovel is a stripped down Superglide with a lot of performance work. S&S stroker kit, J&E pistons Crane cam, Jims lifters, Jesel pushrods, Jims and Andrews parts in the trans with a close ratio 3rd. Ported heads, dual plugs 2 into 1 header. The fisrt year the Victory hit the road I ran one from a traffic light and beat it pretty good. At the gas station he starts to tell me that aint no Harley No Harley coud beat this. I looked at him and said your right its an AMF.

·
BoostJunkie!
85 Posts
They are both good at what there built for (muscle cruisers) Even turbo'd these bikes are pretty docile.

·
Montate aqui!
688 Posts
they should have done like kawasaki did with the new zx14 and do a drag race in the advertisement

·
BoostJunkie!
85 Posts

·
Montate aqui!
688 Posts
Not really, They can make them races look anyway they want. Ricky is just a tad bit biased:D The new 14 is a beast though no doubt.
well yes but if they do that then they would have to put false numbers out there.. Ricky is biased tho and I do prefer the busa,never liked the 14 but it is a beast.Cant wait till my s1000rr gets here tho lol.

·
BoostJunkie!
85 Posts
well yes but if they do that then they would have to put false numbers out there.. Ricky is biased tho and I do prefer the busa,never liked the 14 but it is a beast.Cant wait till my s1000rr gets here tho lol.
You will love that BMW....congrats.

·
Montate aqui!
688 Posts
Thanks!

I will buy another vrod eventually tho. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
That Victory video made me laugh. They make the v rod sound like its a joke compared to the Hammer. Too bad the Hammer will never survive the testing the v rod went through not to mention its larger displacement means nothing. I think the victories air cooled motors are nicer when compared to Harley's air cooled motors but the v rod is greater than the Hammer for sure! Both in performance and styling.

·
james
601 Posts
i busted a hammer a week or so ago. i came up beside him at a light and he waved me off and shook his head. i didn't even do or say anything. i am totally stock nothing specail, it was a n all blacked out one too. the light turn green and he spun away, a little smoke from his back tire. i slowly pull up to him at the next light and he yells having a hard time keeping up? in my head , oh that what he was triing to do... the light turn green and he dam near hit me swing that rear all over the place i back down. as soon as he gain control i got up beside him and matched him thru the speeds till about 80 i waived him off and shifted into 3rd and left the seen. i am stock and that was very weak in my book. in the video you don't see the muscle and the hammer going down the track, just the hammer.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I wont lie, I think the Hammer looks much better than a F does. I also really like their stock single seat design.

They look great with a little custom work too.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Not fond of the looks or the ride.
Tested one a year or so ago.
Bit bland for me.
I much prefer the Triumph Thunderbird Storm S, which really kicks ass. I highly recommend a test ride.
But neither bike can match the NRS/Muscle in performance.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I rode them both. The V-Rod shifted much more smoothly and tracked better through the turns. Victory was good but just didn't inspire me like the V-Rod did. My $.02.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts