Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mountaineer
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few hours ago I crashed against a car that braked hard in front of me. The rear of the bike came up about half a meter, I went down and, luckily I must say, came under the bike, which felt to the right side.
I say luckily because I have nearly no visible damage on the bike. A few minimal scratches on the exhaust and the foot peg.
However, I have some bruises and scratches but nothing that needs medical care. So far so good.

So I drove on and realized applying the brakes that the front end is loose. Driving and handling is the same as before but I think that the triple trees or the bearing are loose or damaged.

What should I check and/or replace? I have absolutely no damage on the frame, even not where the footpegs are. The crash came exactly from the front of the bike. I have no collateral damage (on the bike) from falling to the side. Because it had a nice cushion: me ;)

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
Glad you made it out ok. As far as what to check maybe someone else can point you in the right direction I dont know much about the mechanical side.

·
Peaked At Birth
5,198 Posts
Take it to a mechanic for a complete check. You don't want to miss anything that could possibly fail later. Even if you can't see the damage it could still be there. (small fractures etc.)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Glad you are okay! Can't believe you didn't at least break one of your levers.

Sounds like you will just need to look for scratched parts to replace.

·
Mountaineer
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bonketi said:
Take it to a mechanic for a complete check. You don't want to miss anything that could possibly fail later. Even if you can't see the damage it could still be there. (small fractures etc.)
Yes, probably that would be the best thing to do. However, I have no confidence in any mechanic here in the area. In addition, I've done all my mods myself, I have pretty good tools and I'm sure that I can disassemble the front fork in about one hour.

What I'm prepared to do is to remove the front wheel and calipers (I have to replace the front tire anyway), disassembly the triple tree and pull out the fork tubes.
Then inspect every part (especially the triple trees, stem and bearings) if it's bent or otherwise damaged. Then the front tubes if they are bent (probably not) and of course the frame neck.
Do I have to change the bearings in any case (even if they are not damaged)?

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Sounds to me like you're headed down the right path. I suspect you damaged bearings and/or races by your impact, or you already had some movement and are now more sensitive to it. I'd take it apart, carefully clean everything, inspect, replace what it needs, and go riding. Basically, there's no mystery in these front ends. They've been pretty much the same for many years. Especially at HD.:) I don't see why you would need to replace undamaged parts.

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
ziggy said:
Good job sacraficing the body. Not many people would do that. Glad you are ok.
:them:

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap...but I guess it was lucky too that it came out so good. I had a very similar incident on my old Seca Turbo (early morning sun and crappy indicators on the car ahead). My rear came up and the bike landed on me too. No damage to the bike although there was evidence that the front tire had hit the engine...I was amazed at the flexibility.
I hope your inspection reveals no problems...let us know. Hey, do you think Brembo brakes would've helped?

·
Rallycaust Survivor
11,141 Posts
Glad you got out as well as you did. I agree with Bonketi. Get it checked thoroughly. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
I take it you hit the car head on. I would check anything that might suggest the front tire is now closer to the back tire including head bearings, forks, Wheel bearings, wheels, triples, and on and on.

Good luck and glad you saved the bike and are OK.

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
Slasher said:
Yes, probably that would be the best thing to do. However, I have no confidence in any mechanic here in the area. In addition, I've done all my mods myself, I have pretty good tools and I'm sure that I can disassemble the front fork in about one hour.

What I'm prepared to do is to remove the front wheel and calipers (I have to replace the front tire anyway), disassembly the triple tree and pull out the fork tubes.
Then inspect every part (especially the triple trees, stem and bearings) if it's bent or otherwise damaged. Then the front tubes if they are bent (probably not) and of course the frame neck.
Do I have to change the bearings in any case (even if they are not damaged)?
I would buy the bearings and races for the neck, cheap insurance aginst anything unseen, also replace the front axle, once again better safe than sorry. Other than that remove, clean and inspect everything carefully. If you have an aviation repair facility nearby you may want to check and see if they have the ability to do a magnetic particle inspection of the disassembled components, it is an easy test for them and they may even do it for free. I know I would if a fellow biker came in with your story. The magnetic particle inspection will reveal any cracks that are present but you might not be able to see without a test like this. Once you have all your new parts and inspected old parts put it all back together paying attention to proper torque values.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Mountaineer
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beeek said:
Sorry to hear about your mishap...but I guess it was lucky too that it came out so good. I had a very similar incident on my old Seca Turbo (early morning sun and crappy indicators on the car ahead). My rear came up and the bike landed on me too. No damage to the bike although there was evidence that the front tire had hit the engine...I was amazed at the flexibility.
I hope your inspection reveals no problems...let us know. Hey, do you think Brembo brakes would've helped?
Thank you all for your nice and helpful replies.

No, I'm sure that Brembos wouldn't have helped because my front wheel locked and I slid about 2 meters on the road. The road conditions were very good and there is a skid mark on the road. The rear wheel never locked, however.
I was simply too fast and had not expected the car in front of me braking so hard. Maybe ABS would have helped but I doubt it.

I cannot think of any way how I could have avoided the impact besides driving not so fast and careless. But that's just me. That's my third accident this year. Although not on the bike. One time on skis and one time rock climbing. :angelwin:

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
Slasher said:
A few hours ago I crashed against a car that braked hard in front of me. The rear of the bike came up about half a meter, I went down and, luckily I must say, came under the bike, which felt to the right side.
I say luckily because I have nearly no visible damage on the bike. A few minimal scratches on the exhaust and the foot peg.
However, I have some bruises and scratches but nothing that needs medical care. So far so good.

So I drove on and realized applying the brakes that the front end is loose. Driving and handling is the same as before but I think that the triple trees or the bearing are loose or damaged.

What should I check and/or replace? I have absolutely no damage on the frame, even not where the footpegs are. The crash came exactly from the front of the bike. I have no collateral damage (on the bike) from falling to the side. Because it had a nice cushion: me ;)
You really need to have a certified mechanic look at the bike. I had an accident where I was braking to avoid a car that had stopped short in front of me. I hit the right rear corner of the car and was thrown off the bike. Mine had damage on both sides, scraped pipes, handlebars and a dent in the airbox. The local dealer did a crash inspection and found significant damage to the frame that wasn't apparent when I picked the bike up off of the ground. Long story short it would have cost $16k US to fix the bike. The insurance company totaled the bike. I know your situation was different but I urge you to get it inspected because it is a safety issue, YOUR safety. If the front end is loose chances are that there is more damage than you think. I hope there isn't but for your safety and peace of mind get it inspected and good luck.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
Glad you are ok.

Are you going to have insurance pay for the parts, or are you going pay them out of your pocket? I don't know the laws in Bavaria, but in the US you cannot estimate the damage on your own bike to make a claim, you have to have an independent assessment.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
must be the day for saving bikes ,i too only got minor damage hours ago,,gota scratched heat shield and mirror if i wieghed more than 70 kgs i might not have even got them,,,,,lol,,,go on throw your body under,,,,lol

·
Mountaineer
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gtrman66 said:
Glad you are ok.

Are you going to have insurance pay for the parts, or are you going pay them out of your pocket? I don't know the laws in Bavaria, but in the US you cannot estimate the damage on your own bike to make a claim, you have to have an independent assessment.
No, no insurance. But that's no problem because the fee for the insurance is about 1.500 EUR a year. I could have at least two crashes each year to pay for that. ;)

bwds said:
must be the day for saving bikes ,i too only got minor damage hours ago,,gota scratched heat shield and mirror if i wieghed more than 70 kgs i might not have even got them,,,,,lol,,,go on throw your body under,,,,lol
Glad to hear that you had only minor scratches. If I could save my beloved V-Rod consciously with my body I would gladly do it again the next time. ;) My scratches heal automatically.

·
Mountaineer
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have disassembled all parts and know what's the problem.

The fork stem nut (7) was pressed out of the fork stem (25). The thread is damaged. All other parts, even the bearings, are absolutely ok.

Now my problem is to get them separately. My parts catalog says that the fork stem must be bought together with the lower bracket. Is this correct or can I buy them separately? If yes, does anybody know the part number?

If I have to buy the bracket too, I would rather buy the chrome triple tree. Does it come with the fork stem?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts