Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this airbox cover from ebay and its the same color as my rod. It had one of those infamous dents on the side where the turn limiter peg broke and the handlebar dent the cover.

So I cut out the dent in this shape and put some of this wire mesh in between the layers (since the airbox is in two layers). Damn I love this wire mesh. I may make some bed covers out of this stuff--and flooring, wall covering, toilet seat....

I have another airfilter cover coming from ebay in the next day or so. I plan to cut out the sides for better breathing. Some of you will suggest removing it all together, but I think the little snorkel in the front of it is important for air intake.

The paint does not flow with the cut-out. I may get it painted the same color (solid one color), but without the stripping and HD on the sides. I may put the name Hodaka on the sides.

Tell me what you think.
 

Attachments

·
FireBum
Joined
·
485 Posts
Cool, looks like it belongs there. I like color of the mesh as is. I'd paint the rest of the cover blue and leave the mesh light.
 

·
Steve
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
dont jump, but it looks like eyes from a fly....hence, maybe you should name it the FLYROD!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Not bad at all. Where'd you get the mesh from? And does it add any kind of annoying sound when riding fast? -I'm old, so fast = above 60mph...
 

·
That U in my mirror?
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
Yea, where did you get the mesh from? It looks good!
 

·
Still here, sort of
Joined
·
17,374 Posts
I reserve judgement until the paint job is done.
 

·
I bleed Chrome!
Joined
·
151 Posts
I agree! Looks goofy overlaping the graphics, but still think it looks pretty good. If the tank was all blue, I think you'd have more room for imagination on the shape of the mesh. Not bad, ideas and trends have to start somewhere.
 

·
----->
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
I think it's off to a good start. I think I would repaint the lid and wire mesh blue shoot why not put some blue lights under the lid also.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,724 Posts
I agree with lighting it up underneath, that would look awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DukeOfDeath said:
Not bad at all. Where'd you get the mesh from? And does it add any kind of annoying sound when riding fast? -I'm old, so fast = above 60mph...
I googled wire mesh and found a company here in Dallas. They normally sell in large quantities, but I talked them into selling me 2 sheets. There is no wind noise--at least riding in the city. Haven't opened it up on the highway yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VrodG said:
How did you cut the holes and keep the paint intact ?
I bought a DeWalt grinder and put a cutting wheel on it. I drew the shape on a manila folder, cut it out and used it as a template for both sides of the cover. I taped the entire cover with masking take to avoid any scratches and dings while cutting. When cutting, I cut about 1/8" away from the line. Then I used a hand file to file exactly to the line. I worked on it twice. Once for cutting out the shape (took about an hour) and once when filing the remaining metal to the line and cutting and inserting the mesh (took about 3 hours) for total of about 4 hours.

When I paint the entire airbox, I'll have to pinstripe the edge of the cut-out to make it look finished.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,343 Posts
Next hack job, put a chrome air intake with openable flaps pointing forward on top! Connect it to the Air filter top, and let it shake......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Daniii said:
Next hack job, put a chrome air intake with openable flaps pointing forward on top! Connect it to the Air filter top, and let it shake......
Its funny you would say this. I want to put some chrome velocity stacks coming out on top of the next one. I have a collection of airbox covers I bought off ebay and plan to do something different with each.

I am also considering trying to cut out some flames on one of them. I know I can do it, but it will take a lot of time. Maybe when I take some vacation time off.
 

·
Greg/Moderator
Joined
·
18,951 Posts
DallasV Rod said:
I bought a DeWalt grinder and put a cutting wheel on it. I drew the shape on a manila folder, cut it out and used it as a template for both sides of the cover. I taped the entire cover with masking take to avoid any scratches and dings while cutting. When cutting, I cut about 1/8" away from the line. Then I used a hand file to file exactly to the line. I worked on it twice. Once for cutting out the shape (took about an hour) and once when filing the remaining metal to the line and cutting and inserting the mesh (took about 3 hours) for total of about 4 hours.

When I paint the entire airbox, I'll have to pinstripe the edge of the cut-out to make it look finished.
Thank you
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
i dont really care for it.... it isnt that it looks bad, I think the lines of the stock striping on the tank throw it off for me... if it were a solid tank it would look a lot better
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top