Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you like to see.:bash: Comments please. :spank: What are some of the things that are Good and not good about Dealers? :soapbox: How can a Dealer Improve their Service to you?:kiss: Later Ski.

OBTW, Hi Guys and Gals!

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Parts in stock and at least one person who knows where they go. I might as well go to a Honda dealership, they are just as likely to have my parts as Hd is.

·
Registered
452 Posts
luxlamf said:
Parts in stock and at least one person who knows where they go. I might as well go to a Honda dealership, they are just as likely to have my parts as Hd is.
Could not have said it better. I would also add that they could at least pretend that we are as important as the air heads. A tech that knows about the V would be helpful too. Other than that I think since they sell a high dollar bike we could get something better than a damn hot dog.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Put the bike back together as if they're going to ride it. I've had to re-tighten parts as I'm riding home.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
The good: My dealer treats me great at OC Harley. They just turned my bike around in less than a day getting my new tires on. I always get prompt and courteous service. From sales, parts, merchandise and service everyone there is friendly and great to work with.

The bad: On my 1k service they did not do a once over on my bike. I found my fork pinch bolts were very loose right after the service. I torqued them to spec afterwards to resolve a wobbly front end. For $240 they should do more than an oil change. From now on I will change my own oil :)

The ugly: The counter girl noticed I am ready for my 5k service and wondered if I wanted to schedule it. I said no, I can change my own oil. She said this would void my warranty and argued it was written in the owner's manual. I grinned, as I have read the manual and know what is written there. Staff should not present false rules to get your business.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Get rid of the new service manger at the local HD..what an A$$ Hole. Guys an old air head and doesn't know the vrod...........but still an A.H.

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
Deal with me as a person, not some third country national.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Mine is good says the price and how long when booking in and since I usually wait they do it on time and on budget sometimes even under the quoted price. Better Coffee not just a vending machine for soft drink and chocolate. Some where to sit and read whilst waiting would be perfect.

The old shop had a lounge overlooking the workshop mechanics hated it the customers loved it.

Trying to where I am to do it here the service department treats customers like a inconvience and hate to have to talk to them about wahat was done.
At Mercedes I can sit have coffee read todays papers and magazines whilst waitng for the car. My car dealer does it for quick jobs for long one he comes here and takes the car and brings it back on his way home. now thats good service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do my service here in Germany (Fierecks in munich) and no complaints; other than the relatively high cost for service (300 Euro = $411 USD @1K service interval).

While traveling around the States and visiting HD delaerships I like to pick up parts locally. The delaerships on more than one occassion have sold me parts for another model of V-rod than my own (VRSCX); and wasn't until I returned to Germany to find that these parts wont fit my bike.

Suggestion: How about delaerships educating themselves on the differences in the V-Rod model line? which are 1130cc and 1250cc? which are street rods and which are not? and what parts are or are not compatible?

Maybe hire a V-rod enthusiast who will give us that little extra attention that we expect? thanks. V-XTC/Munich (VRSCX)

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I like it when a service writer knows a lot about motorcycles, especially the ones that get serviced at a Harley Davidson Service department. I like being able to wait for my bike on smaller jobs, and not be told I need to leave it. I like it when the service writer and/or service tech give you a time when the bike will be finished and it gets down close to that. I like it when a service writer and/or tech actually shows that they give a shit about my bike. For example paying attention to detail while the service is being completed, or returning it to me in the same condition (clean wise) that I brought it in. I like it when I make an appoitment for the bike to get serviced and that actually means something. That's about it for know.....bottom line I want people who I can trust!

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
I have had great service at Cycle Connections in Joplin MO. They treat me like family and do their best to complete the job when they say it will be done. Their mechanics ride and race v-rods and have a passion for them.

All the other dealers in the area I have been to are arrogant and don't know much about the v-rods.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
h-d dealer employee's as for anyone in customer sevice should be more educated about products and there is a big lack of communication inside the dealership

·
Registered
190 Posts
Overall just treating me like a customer. Every time I go I feel like they treat me like crap. Like I am inconveniencing them. Its really frustrating.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My dealership in Clermont Florida treats me great. There are a few service guys that admit they are fans of the V-Rod but there is one guy there that loves to work on them. I recently had to have the top end torn down and he educated me on some things I could do to get more power out of it since it was torn down anyway. There is another guy there that treats me like I"m the only one there when he talks to me. I appreciate that he doesn't get distracted by everyone else wanting him to answer their questions right then.
There aren't a lot of parts in the dealership but I think a lot of the third party manufactures have more interesting parts anyway. I'm big on service so as long as I'm treated fairly then I'm happy.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
in Europe too one has to shop around to find just that place where you in all respects feel 'at home', this is a subjective thing

things I appreciate at my dealership :
- a simple goodmorning & coffee or whatever is being offered, I don't have to ask for it
- I am allowed to be in the workshop & stand near the tech all the time if I want to (and I do) & the tech doesn't mind
- by doing so I learn a lot by Q & A + I can read the service manual at the same time
- nothing is being done without my approval first & when there are options, these options are being presented & discussed with me
- when a part needs to be replaced for a certain reason the tech shows/explains that reason to me
- all replaced parts are put in a box for if the customer chooses to inspect and/or wants to take them home
- they too know that there aren't as much genuine accessories for the V-ROD line so they try to compensate that with a fairly good knowledge of what the after market has to offer AND have the contacts to provide parts asap

things I do in return for my dealership :
- return a 'goodmorning' when I come in
- be on time and respect their service schedule
- build-up a good relationship with service people
- appreciate a job well done & tip the tech to show that appreciation
- pay the bill

ps : I'm more than happy to share the knowledge I find here on this forum with my dealer's service dept for the simple reason that one can't expect from a local dealer's service crew to know & have as much hints/tips/tricks/experience than a +18.000 group of enthusiasts amongst which are a lot of skilled V-ROD technicians, IMHO it's a 2-way street, a win/win situation
grtz

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
SKIROD said:
What would you like to see.:bash: Comments please. :spank: What are some of the things that are Good and not good about Dealers? :soapbox: How can a Dealer Improve their Service to you?:kiss: Later Ski.

OBTW, Hi Guys and Gals!
Ski, for me it would be having the confidence that they put the bike back together properly, i.e., using a torque wrench to tighten everything to the specified torque (like the handlebars that were not and came loose). Measuring the belt deflection with a deflection tool. Not putting the airbox cover back on without one of the rubber receiving grommets. Actually measuring to see if the headlight is pointing straight, not just eyeballing it. All of these things have happened to me and yes they are small details but for the price we pay for service and as long as they keep the bike, there should be no excuse for them not to take their time and treat it like it was their bike or better. Thanks for the opportunity to voice.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts