Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed braided hose kit last night on my 03. What a son of a B....

Like all these jobs I could do it second time much easier.

The info leaflet is OK but you need to release the hose clip that keeps the two rigid coolant pipes together under the upper frame rail.

This allows you to move the rear rigid pipe under the front one and bring it forward. You can then put the new short hose onto the pump outlet first.

It's then just a matter of manipulating the rigid pipe back into position over the new hose and working into place.

I used washing up liquid to help as coolant ( recommended in the leaflet) was useless.

I was also amazed at the debris that had built up under the pressure cap, this is obviously a dead area as regards flow.

Hope this may save somebody swearing and cursing.

:cheers:

Stevie D

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Welcome to the "That F#(king stainless steel hose" club.
But it sure looks good when your done!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I did mine last January and never came so close to getting a baseball bat as I did. Those things definitely don't stretch much- especially when it's cold and your fingers are frozen! It sure isn't an exact science. If I had had some lessons learned to make it easier for others, I'd share them, but I don't. I just remember it took hours and it sucked and then all of a sudden it was on and I don't know how. I suppose if you do several over time, like at a dealership, you can have it down to 15 minutes (but still charge the full hour of course!) It does bug me that there is no finishing cover on the top of the short hose. Sure it's hard to see back there, but we're nothing if not obsessive, right? Or is it only me? I experimented with modifying some chrome and metal bits to cover the end of the braided hose and the clamp but it just didn't have the effect, so I'll keep noodling around with some ideas. I can guarantee that whatever the solution, it will be some 2 piece thingy that does NOT require removing that hose! I will never, NEVER voluntarily put myself in the position of EVER remounting THAT mother. EVER.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only thing I can remember being of any help is to put on a pair of leather gloves. I can't count the number of times the steel braiding pierced me.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
mustangcav....The dealer can order the other cover seperate,,do you really want to take back apart? :stilpoke:

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
adamsg said:
Welcome to the "That F#(king stainless steel hose" club.
But it sure looks good when your done!
:rofl:

My sentiments exactly.

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Someday I'm gonna' get to this on my bike. Can you put your tips into the "how to" section?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have heard how difficult it is to install so I just had the dealer do it.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Had I attempted to put the braided line on myself, instead of the dealer when I first bought it, I would have ended up putting a .44 mag hole thru it by the time I was done.

You definitely have more patience than I.

·
Here for the ride
355 Posts
I installed mine in January. Benn thinkin about sending the MoCo athank you letter for helping me remember cuss words that I forgot.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Mine was a Snap TO PUT ON the Turbo Bike! :diablo: Thats because the Friggin Motor is OUT! :banghead:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why didn't I think of taking the motor out, probably would have been a damm site easier! :banghead:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Went the easy way with the chrome cover; I actually like it, though. Great job to those who have overcome and defeated the stainless steel monster!! :D

Dane

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
any VTF members able to post those pics here for those of us that arent? I am curious what you all mean.
Thanks
Greg

·
skin changer
824 Posts
Ok..mines going into the stealer at 8:30 Sat. morning for it's 2500 mile check-up. I guess I'll take my braided hoses in and have them install them.
You guys scared me enough that I'm not even going to try mine myself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts