Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi any body Know what's going on with the Online Parts? I was going to check and order some spare parts from New Castle H-D and this is what was posted on there Web site.

Due to changes to the H-D 2022 Online sales policy, as of Jan 1st, 2022 Dealerships nation-wide will no longer be allowed to sell or ship any Genuine H-D products outside of their dealership area.

So in the middle of a pandemic I have to go in person to the local stealers with my mask on to pay full price to order and wait? Nice customer service model to minimize competition and maximize profit.

I'm starting to think my VRSCR will be my first, only and last H-D motorcycle.

·
Registered
459 Posts
This is what is says on shoputahharley.com.
"We can no longer sell outside the U.S. We can no longer sell to commercial repair shops outside our market area, Freight Forwarders, or to anyone that we suspect resells or buys in quantity. We don't sell engines, frames, crankcases or batteries online."
The MoCo makes it easy to say screw HD. My friend that owns the local dealer said HD has contracts with Amazon now. And it is putting the squeeze on the dealers. Although I kinda like the new Sporty S & the Pan America. I would never consider buying another new Harley.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I guess they just want everyone to flock to the showroom and buy there shirts, hats, scarfs, baby bibs... etc... It's even worse here in Canada. I love my V-Rod but as mentioned, will not buy another HD.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,194 Posts
I've been a lifelong HD fan. I have owned quite a few. I have a VRSCDX and a Roadglide in the garage right now. BUT...I agree with you all. This is making me think if I get rid of these bikes, my next bike may not be HD. Well, I will never get rid of the DX LW unless I was destitute.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,194 Posts

·
-MIG
118 Posts
Interesting. I've purchased from New Castle before and I decided to take a look and on the "On-Line Parts Order Page" I get the banner with an "Access denied" for content. Sad... (I'm in Tucson)
-MIG

·
VRSC est -03
3,250 Posts
I'm with you folks. Over here, we do not get Norwegian prices for Harley's parts and products when you search online. And that's how it has been for several years... strongly overpriced by the way. Will not be a new H-D on me as long as V-rod does the trick.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,194 Posts
Interesting. I've purchased from New Castle before and I decided to take a look and on the "On-Line Parts Order Page" I get the banner with an "Access denied" for content. Sad... (I'm in Tucson)
-MIG
I had the New Castle page bookmarked so I checked the bookmarked page. Yep...

Access denied
You are not authorized to access this page.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Another reason to get rid of my Harleys..

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
487 Posts
Same.

I've been saying F Harley MoCo since my first one, a 2003 Duece I paid for with cash off the showroom floor.

First: they wouldna accept "cash" but a cashier's check. I'd been wanting my entire life to walk in to the dealership with a briefcase full of money handcuffed to my wrist to buy my first Harley. Actually....to set the record straight and be more accurate about the volume of paper, I was going to rock my vintage Evil Kneaval lunch box! They said they simply wouldn't count it. Like it's so hard to count two racks, two stacks, and a half.

Second: over a very short period of time I felt i needed to correct their engineering and build it into an HTTC 95" torque monster. Aside from that expensive project (first motor I ever built... but set me on a path), there was also the "need" to upgrade all their substandard OEM parts with "accessories". I'm talking about replacing crappy rubber hand grips and foot pegs, etc.

Third: I actually then went to work for them in sales. They pay the consultant ... and no typo here ... $50 (that's FIFTY) EFFING DOLLARS to sell someone their dream machine. I made 6 TIMES that selling Saturns in the 1990's! In order to make any kind of a living at all I had to upsell (AT THE POINT OF SALE) chromey bits and parts and accessories and upgrades so it could be included on my commission. My technique was to take the customer on a test ride, leading with my Deuce, and romp the sh!t out of that 95" HTCC to show them what the 96" DOG of a model they were buying was lacking. Thus convincing the customer to buy performance upgrades right then and there. That job didn't last long as sales for the 96" DOG were lacking as much as their engineering.

But...that's where I got to ride a V-Rod for the first time. Even though I thought I might be too short for it, I still loved it.

Fourth: I had a Nightster between my Deuce and my first (of three) V-Rods but I had to build that little Sporty to suit as well. It broke down (and I mean BROKE) 3 TIMES on cross country trips, requiring me to rebuild it (INCLUDING buying necessary tools), in far off lands. Good luck getting shop time for a rebuild while they worry about "accessorizing" new sales (another F You to the MOCO) at a moment's notice while in another time zone.

That being said...whew...I love my V-Rods but will NEVER AGAIN buy another Harley. And with THAT being said...Gowanda Harley-Davidson (not the shop I worked for) has always been a TOP NOTCH, family-owned company for generations. They Dyno'd my Deuce with the SERT after I built it and it ran ACES for nearly 60K miles before I sold it (should never have let that go). They sold me my Nightster for a very good price a few years later (considering it had only 3K miles on it and had already been cammed). They built my second V-Rod's motor and it hasn't let me down. They continue to support my current endeavor with the TTS-PERFORMANCE drag bike, allowing me to order specialty tools, and will Dyno it for me when I've completed it.

Ok...Sorry for the rant, ha!

-Sean

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,194 Posts
Ok...Sorry for the rant, ha!

-Sean
When I see messages as long as yours I usually don't read them and just scroll on by. BUT, yours I did read and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
True. I've never seen a company so intent on pissing customers off at the sake of dealer protection. It's been quite a while where USA dealers weren't allowed to sell to Canadian customers but this is beyond stupid.
Ron
This must be a USA thing as the dealer I use, Jersey HD have no such rubbish written on their webpage and they will ship certainly anywhere in EU (probably not USA!!!) I wonder how many HD dealers will go bump due to this "dealer protection" after having internet sales removed from their income.

·
Registered
755 Posts
This must be a USA thing as the dealer I use, Jersey HD have no such rubbish written on their webpage and they will ship certainly anywhere in EU (probably not USA!!!) I wonder how many HD dealers will go bump due to this "dealer protection" after having internet sales removed from their income.
That’s a damn good question. I get that they want people to “shop local” and all, and generally I’m a supporter. But fact is, if I can buy the same item for 25-50% less by ordering it and having it shipped- I certainly will. I’m guessing that they figured yeh, it will cut out some profit from those dealers willing to “deal” but they can make it up by only selling locally at full retail 🙄

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just checked Harley Davidson Accessories | Harley Davidson Parts. They don't have a special message diss'ing customers - at this time. I didn't try to order anything, but I have used them along with new castle in the past.
I decided to order a spare water pump and gaskets. I had to check a box promising I was not a business and I would only use the parts on my own motorcycle and not resale on E-bay. Now I cross my fingers and wait for the back ordered parts to ship.

I hope they can continue selling parts online. My hobby is ridding and I like to doing my own work.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
H-D is in a full on, self created implosion mode now, but I actually believe they may have reversed their severe case of Cranial Rectumitis caused by all the factors that we are aware of. The birth of the Pan America, Sportster and probably a Sport Touring bike on 1/26 and later maybe a V Rod replacement with the Revolution Max Engine is in the works. No, I won't forsake my R model - I'm going to build my new 1250 Stage 2 engine, improve the suspension, wheels, etc. and I'll go to the grave with it in my garage, because it's the best power cruiser M/C those dumb A$$'$ ever created - BUT - if a new Revo Max powered sport touring and cruiser comes out, I'll consider adding one to the stable, if it's worth a $hit. Never say never, but yes, never own a publicly traded M/C company - it really kills the ability of any MoCo to innovate and grab the future by the balls - too many " profit takers " and " number crunchers " and the " committee think yes men " to create truly great products, i.e. H-D operations now. Having said all that, let's see what pops out of the H-D birth canal on 1/26 - it will absolutely, positively dictate whether H-D emerges from their 100 year old design funk into the M/C future or just gets relegated into a past tense, washed up, shrinking, big fat air cooled, whatever glide niche M/C company. We're about to find out soon. (y):cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow that's not a consumer friendly business model but I guess the point is they need to grow/change so they're setting themselves up for the future?

It'll be really interesting to see how this plays out. I'm still nervous about parts availability for the night rods longer term. Which feels strange, because I think there is a community for older Harley's? E.g. in Australia we have an online parts catalogue that goes back to Harley's from the 60's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts