Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the pub the other night a coupla Harley riders (French, even) were v dismissive of the Vrod. Apparently Vrods are Japanese bikes; not fit for 'real' Harley riders. Which begs the question - are 'real' Harley riders really arseholes? (as we say in England). Surely the whole point about motorcycling is that we move along; physically, technically, emotionally and intellectually? Otherwise we'd still be raving about, and riding nothing but, Vincent Black Shadows.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Everyone has different taste. It doesn’t make their taste wrong, and it doesn’t make their taste right, just different. Most people are afraid of change. I don’t disrespect other peoples taste. If they like the V-Twin Harley, that’s cool. They could be upset because they no longer have the newest and greatest toy. The only time I bad mouth someone else’s possession is when I can’t afford it. If they bad mouth the V-Rod they are jealous. Otherwise they would just say they don’t like the V-Rod. :2cents:

·
Come back Max
435 Posts
cubota said:
In the pub the other night a coupla Harley riders (French, even) were v dismissive of the Vrod. Apparently Vrods are Japanese bikes; not fit for 'real' Harley riders. Which begs the question - are 'real' Harley riders really arseholes? (as we say in England). Surely the whole point about motorcycling is that we move along; physically, technically, emotionally and intellectually? Otherwise we'd still be raving about, and riding nothing but, Vincent Black Shadows.
Mock not.
Been riding one for over twenty years.
Way ahead of it's time and gives me a thrill every time I ride it.
It also gets as many looks and thumbs up as the rod!

Do we say (in England) are 'real' Harley riders really arseholes? That's news to me, and not a point I would like to bring up with my HOG chums.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vincent said:
Mock not.
Been riding one for over twenty years.
Way ahead of it's time and gives me a thrill every time I ride it.
It also gets as many looks and thumbs up as the rod!

Do we say (in England) are 'real' Harley riders really arseholes? That's news to me, and not a point I would like to bring up with my HOG chums.
No offence V. I've been on allsorts for a long time so it's a whole new thingy riding a (any?) HD. I've never had a wave from a HD rider on my Ducati/Triumph/BMW/Honda etc. Why not?
But yesterday I got a wave from a Gold Wing. Never happened b4.

·
Come back Max
435 Posts
cubota said:
No offence V. I've been on allsorts for a long time so it's a whole new thingy riding a (any?) HD. I've never had a wave from a HD rider on my Ducati/Triumph/BMW/Honda etc. Why not?
But yesterday I got a wave from a Gold Wing. Never happened b4.
No offence taken, I guess I've been lucky to ride unusual bikes and have always had waves and looks that go with them.
Harley riders are like one big family it just goes with the bike.
You wave to say you've got good taste just like me!

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
As I posted a while back, I was sitting at a light, and a stunning blonde in a H2 sitting next to me, rolls down the window and says "I have one of those at home", gives me a big thumbs up (and goes back to talking on her cell). Made my day.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
cubota said:
In the pub the other night a coupla Harley riders (French, even) were v dismissive of the Vrod. Apparently Vrods are Japanese bikes; not fit for 'real' Harley riders.
Wow, I thought the French would love the V-Rod... It's the quickest way to run when conflict approaches.

:alien:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I could care less what a couple French folks think about anything American. I am not sure how anyone can define "real" Harley riders anyway. I know a lot of Harley owners and a small percentage are what I would define as real riders, by miles that is. But people own things for different reasons and I respect differences in values. If the French came to their senses and get up off their sissy tales and defend freedom I would respect them, too. Whoops, off the politics. But really, can you imagine what knuckelhead owners said when panheads first came out?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bagman said:
If the French came to their senses and get up off their sissy tales and defend freedom I would respect them, too. Whoops, off the politics. But really, can you imagine what knuckelhead owners said when panheads first came out?
For the record, the non-grumpy real Harley riders at the dealership did give me a ripple of applause when I signed the order. :cheers:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Bagman said:
I could care less what a couple French folks think about anything American. I am not sure how anyone can define "real" Harley riders anyway. I know a lot of Harley owners and a small percentage are what I would define as real riders, by miles that is. But people own things for different reasons and I respect differences in values. If the French came to their senses and get up off their sissy tales and defend freedom I would respect them, too. Whoops, off the politics. But really, can you imagine what knuckelhead owners said when panheads first came out?
just think what They think when I come rippin up in my little Green Elf Suit! :kaz:

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Bagman said:
Riding a 39 Knuckle years ago, and that, after owning a couple panheads, I thought the pans were a not anywhere as good as the knucklehead. There was one other guy who i rode with who had a 41 Knuckle, and I even gave him crap about his knuckle not being an original, as it was a decade late and 20 slow. He still has his, and it is a real jewel. He's had his for almost 35 years now. He laments about the shovels, evos, and the rod being newfangled. He does have a flathead, and a couple of panheads too.

Today, I realize it is what you are riding that is best, otherwise, you would not be on it. If it is a borrowed bike, hell, its better than sitting at home wishing you were out in the wind. If it is yours and paid off, its even better.

So from the vantage point of someone elses saddle, as the saying goes, let the rider decide whats best, and if someone does not like it, tell them to buy you a new ride.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
It takes all kinds to make the world go round. It has been my take on life that it is not always a person being jealous but sometimes I find that people have a hard time with things they don't understand.

I don't put down anyone that rides and I don't care if you ride a Vespa. Being my size has the advantage that people don't usually make stupid jokes to me at least not loud enough for me to hear them. As far as the French jokes I admire cubota he let them roll off his back and payed no attention. If the rest of the world has problems then let them fight it out but on this forum we are dedicated to the V-Rod. I have never found that anyones origin could be used to judge a persons character or manhood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
harley riders?????????????

i still have my first "new" harley, 76 sporty, then a 78 superglide and the 89 dresser is still in the herd. if aanyone thinks that old air cooled technology will be around for a long time they better check the gov regs!!
i got the age and miles to be a "real" harley rider while most of those wannabe's were still suckiling!!
later :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Max said:
It has been my take on life that it is not always a person being jealous but sometimes I find that people have a hard time with things they don't understand.
Very wise words Max. I'm sure that most folks do not understand the V-Rod. Try the following experiment (it's fun): Step into your local TC88" dominant biker bar and say:

"Dudes! Come outside and check out my new scooter!! 38 degree rake, 115HP, 180 tire"

French or not, they'd be clamoring for the parking lot yelling "A Pro Street bike--cool!! Let's go look!!" There would be a stampede.

Harley didn't build the V-Rod to compete with the japs. They built it to compete with the Titans, Ironhorses, Big Dogs and other clones.

I don't get the whole Jap bike comparison?? The japs are still reeling from the V-Rod's introduction :spank:
/Steevo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts