Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question searching didnt seem to answer.

If you are on a four land divided highway and the group is in the left travel lane does the leader stick to the left side of that lane as well? It would seem that a car that might pass on the right lane could merge in his lane when passing the second person riding the right part of the left lane.

Any input? Me and a buddy was discussing this the other day.

thanks

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
I think you all stick in the same lane, staggered left and right within that lane close enough to not let anyone really in on those lanes and that would solve any of that merging stuff that might be going on...........

·
Registered
878 Posts
vepil said:
I have a question searching didnt seem to answer.

If you are on a four land divided highway and the group is in the left travel lane does the leader stick to the left side of that lane as well? It would seem that a car that might pass on the right lane could merge in his lane when passing the second person riding the right part of the left lane.

Any input? Me and a buddy was discussing this the other day.

thanks
Not real sure! But if it was me I would stay to the right so I would have a little to to react in the event someone started to merge to close.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
If the leader starts the ride on the left, the leader should pretty much always stay to the left. There are a couple of good reasons for this.
First, if you are riding with a good sized group and the leader shifts sides of the lane, then all of those behind have to shift to keep their spacing and their sight lines right. That can become a real problem, because some riders are less experienced, some may want to use that as an opportunity to 'jump ahead' (we've all seen them...), and just causes confusion all the way around.

Think of it this way, you've got 20 riders, and if you are going to change then, are you going to change positions at every lane change? Not just on highways? It can get confusing, and that's when riders make mistakes and expensive parts start sliding down the highway. And I'm talking skin here, not chrome!

So if you start in a position, it's most often best to stay in that position through out that ride or that portion of the ride. Wait until a gas stop to change positions, unless someone in the group leaves the group or falls out entirely. Then the 'tail end Charley' will stop and check it out, and help if there is a problem. That way there aren't 6 buddies all trying to make a move out of the group to see what's going on with their buddy.

When someone leaves the ride group, keep your eyes and ears open. Most of the time all you have to do to fill up the empty space is...change sides of the lane. But then again you may find someone trying to move up, so keep your eyes and ears open.

There are some good web sites, I think the AMA site has a good section, and the Harley Owners Group does also. Check them out, talk to folks you ride with. I'm also a pilot, and one the biggest things you learn and WANT to do is to 'plan your flight, and fly your plan'. Talk to the folks you ride with before each ride, and no one gets hurt.

Hope this helps, I've been riding since I was 10, and I'm 47 now. Rode in lots of groups, but there are many out there that have more experience than me. Good forum, we can all learn from each other.

God bless-

CLF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts