Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Any tips on removing the stock grips without cutting them? Mine are stuck pretty tight. WD40 or similar? Was afraid that might make the new grip loose in not cleaned off properly. Is any lubricant needed to install the new ones, or can I force them?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Depending on the type of grips you use, those that need to be glued on the glue works as a lube to get them on. The original grip should be glued on and may be tough to get off without cutting them off.

Max

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
I ended up cutting them off too. It was getting late. Maybe one of those blunt cheap dinner knifes to lift it off the glue? :hmm:

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's only glue. I you grip it with both hands and twist it back & forth it will let go. Put some muscle in it!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glue.....that explains it :stooge: I'll try the channel lock trick. Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks jlbait. I'm hoping to get it off in one piece. Any idea on what kind of glue for the new one?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They must have used a gallon of glue on mine. The channel locks (with tape and a towel over the teeth) chewed up the rubber without budging the grip. Out came the knife, it's off now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Use hairspray !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

c4550 said:
Thanks jlbait. I'm hoping to get it off in one piece. Any idea on what kind of glue for the new one?
I was told by a HD mechanic to use hairspray as the glue and I've used it several times, works like a charm! Fred :laugh: :laugh: :moped:

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Hey Frank, I have my stock grips as well if you want them with the pegs.
BTW, left them on the stupid coffee table, sorry. They will go out tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
what the hell do you want stock grips for???? Use some of that moldy money and get a nice set of grips for the Rodney!

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
According to my dealer, stock grips are 4.95. Cut away, your never going to put them back on and it will take just a minute instead of several minutes of frustration trying to save it.
On the other hand a bike with stock grips might be rare someday..... :diablo:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts