Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New f owner here and i just bought some grips. The instructions basically say to refer to the service manual. Is there anything tricky about installing the grip on the throttle? Anything to watch out fir?thanks

·
On the Space Coast
60 Posts
I'll let you know on Thursday when I install mine. lol. No really, I have had the controls apart installing chrome switch covers. The right side requires loosening throttle control and that grip slides on. The left side is glued on, so you will have to make a slit in the original grip (after loosening the controls again) and peel it off. New left side on most will come with adhesive to re-attach.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Yes. I think you probably end up disturbing the brake lever - not sure. If you do, watch out - there is a small nipple on the brake switch that is amazingly easy to destroy. Protect it with cardboard.

If I'm wrong about that, then not really - tighten the screws up evenly so the gap is the same both sides or the throttle will bind. You also need to slacken the throttle adjustment right off (probably obvious, but you asked...).

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Yes , watch out for the little brass doofers on the end of the throttle cable nipples.
They fall off if you are not careful :)

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Use a good doublesided scotch tape on the bar handle and the air compresser to inflate the left grip just enough to slide it on. Mark it first.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes , watch out for the little brass doofers on the end of the throttle cable nipples.
They fall off if you are not careful :)

Steve
Do they ever :banghead:

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
I put the new grips on the F last night. Usual stuff, the clutch side is a piece of cake, just remember to put the wider side of the grip on the bottom. Look at the end of it and you will see what I mean. The throttle side, put a little lithum grease in the inside to make sure it rolls well, the little brass ferrules that are on the end of the cable are a little trickey. I find it really easy to put them on by using a pair of hemostats ( you know, those medical scissors that sum people use to hold joints) to guide the cable in to the slots. Use a little blue loctite on the switch screws

·
On the Space Coast
60 Posts
Hey Gunny, what grips did you go with? I just ordered the Kuryakyn to get the Throttle Boss and helmet lock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts