Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I just got my bike back a week ago for my 5k service and Amsoil switch. I noticed today that sometimes when I downshift from first to second it gets kicked into neutral. Then when I try to shift from N to 1st its grinds and won't go in unless I do one of two things. 1. Kick it in hard or 2. shift back to 2nd then down again. This happens only SOMETIMES at different speeds. What is up?? I'm so sick of dealerships not knowing what the hell they are doing!

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
I noticed today that sometimes when I downshift from first to second
When going from 1st to 2nd going up, ie., upshifting, usually works best for me. Yes I'm bored and couldn't resist. Let the :spank: commence. :D

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
robbwest said:
When going from 1st to 2nd going up, ie., upshifting, usually works best for me. Yes I'm bored and couldn't resist. Let the :spank: commence. :D
Yeah upshifting works fine. Unfortunately, every so ofter, I have to actually stop...strange I know, but it happens. :bash:

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
louballs said:
Yeah upshifting works fine. Unfortunately, every so ofter, I have to actually stop...strange I know, but it happens. :bash:
Hey I was just being a smartass. As far as actual advice goes I know I seen a thread on here recently about this but can't remember the possible causes. I think someone did suggest slipping the clutch to get it to downshift though (temporary solution only). Disclaimer: I may have only dreamed that in one of my drunken stupors.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
You have 5K on the bike. Have you ever changed your fluid? The fluid in notorious for breaking down and creating problems.

·
Still too slow
336 Posts
If your talking about the "kick" going from first to second when accelerating hard,,,, lots of us have that issue. Many other shifting issues are related to proper lubrication of the shift linkages. :D

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
If it doesn't go, then check your linkage and clean it. if that doesn't work, then consider letting the clutch out so it catches, grab it again, and try to shift down. Does that make sense?

RJ

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
louballs said:
yeah it makes and that works to fix it.
How long has it been since you changed your Hydraulic Fluids? It may be a simple matter of flushing the system out to get the clutch to disengage better.

Just a thought.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked and there is no leakage. I've also never changed out my hydro fluids myself. I've had all 3 of my services done at the dealer so I would assume they would do that for me. Though we all know what happens when we assume. Since its still under warranty, i'll be taking it in tomorrow morning to have it looked at.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so I went to the stealer today real quick and he used a test strip on the clutch fluid and said its and should be flushed and changed. He said it would be an hours labor ($80) plus fluid and tax. So we're looking at like $100 total. Is this something that I can do myself with basic tools?? If so, what are some tips/pointers? I do have the service manual so i'm sure that will help some, ive just never done anything like this before. Thanks!

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Louballs, do it yourself. Max's bleeder is a real plus for this and makes the job a cake walk. The money you save will pay for the bleeder and something to drink while you work, and when you're done you'll know it's done right. Max has a video on here somewhere detailing how to use the bleeder to do the brake and clutch circuits. All you need is a screwdriver for the reservoir lids (in my case, anyway), and a small box end wrench (I believe 10mm) for the bleeders (on the clutch it's another screw). And the bleeder.

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
louballs said:
Ok so I went to the stealer today real quick and he used a test strip on the clutch fluid and said its and should be flushed and changed. He said it would be an hours labor ($80) plus fluid and tax. So we're looking at like $100 total. Is this something that I can do myself with basic tools?? If so, what are some tips/pointers? I do have the service manual so i'm sure that will help some, ive just never done anything like this before. Thanks!
There is a kit and instructional video in the Forum Store. Looks quite easy and cost would be about the same initially but you would be able to do it yourself from now on (brake side too) and save money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts