Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 4500km on the 09 muscle now and have just recently noticed a grind or rub that I hear at low speeds coming from the rear (left side maybe?) The sound goes accordingly to the rear wheel going around and for some strange reason only happens after the bike has been driven for a while. I haven;t looked into it to deeply yet but thought maybe others might have a thought?
Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like a metal rub to me...almost like a brake rub sound but I don't think it is.......it may be there at higher speeds as well but I can't hear it then, only as I slow to a stop.

·
Working Class
34 Posts
I had a rear sprocket bearing fail......sounded just like that.

Choke

·
Registered
48 Posts
I noticed the same thing a couple weeks ago. Left side, at slow speeds. Was kind of a whinning sound to me. Was there with the clutch engaged or not. I was thinking belt or primary maybe. Happened to check my oil level which was a little less then a half quart low. Added oil and have not noticed the sound since. Not really sure if the two are related.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Grinding/Rubbing noise from the rear?

This is because big bubba your cell mate is a size XXXXXXL.
KY jelly will help with this.

·
Flat Broke
277 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
A belt that is to tight will cause this. The bearings are heating up and after a while they start to complain.
Check your belt tension.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
A belt that is to tight will cause this. The bearings are heating up and after a while they start to complain.
Check your belt tension.
I agree check your belt tension. Then take your hand and see how much wiggle sideways your pulley has. It will have some but very little under normal conditions. Put a jack under it... bike in neutral ignition off, spin the wheel by hand and watch the pulley. If you see much wobble at all. Could be your bearing is bad or the race of your sealed bearing has reamed out the pulley. Either way rear wheel needs pulled and pulley inspected.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,755 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
You tear the engine apart to repair a front pulley bearing if you screw it up..

·
Registered
102 Posts
It may be the Brake Pads...

I have about 4500km on the 09 muscle now and have just recently noticed a grind or rub that I hear at low speeds coming from the rear (left side maybe?) The sound goes accordingly to the rear wheel going around and for some strange reason only happens after the bike has been driven for a while. I haven;t looked into it to deeply yet but thought maybe others might have a thought?
Thanks.
I have an '09 Muscle and was having the same problem.

The noise made me crazy for over a year.

I switched out the stock Harley Davidson Brake Pads to Lyndall Brake Pads ( Lyndall " Z Pads " ) made of Carbon - Kevlar.

There is also another brake pad that other forum members have had good luck but I forget the name of the manufacturer.

Try doing a search for Brake Rotor Noise or Brake Rotor Squeal.

The squealing/grinding noise is gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts