Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You encounter gravel in a turn - how do you handle it?
Just a few pieces in the road?
Much more than that! Now what?

Highlight below to find one man's opinion
You're tailing your riding buddy on a fav back road when suddenly OHMIGOSH; he's pointing wildly at gravel in the turn! He somehow makes it through (this should be a clue: he ain't exactly Nicky Hayden now is he?)... but, now warned, what do you do?

First, you're not right on his tail, correct?

Slow a little and assess your options. If the stones are few enough to count, you can probably ignore them since they're primarily a visual distraction, posing little loss-of-traction potential.

If not, assertively modify your line so you avoid the most dense part.*

If you see you still must ride through the gravel, straighten the bike and brake firmly prior to the patch; then release the brakes and ease through on a neutral throttle, delaying the completion of your turn until you're back on clean asphalt.

Then pull over and talk. What have you learned?

* If you are in a blind turn, do not consider the opposite lane part of your avoidance strategy. If oncoming traffic suddenly appears, your chances are zero to none.

Pete Tamblyn
Senior Contributor
MotorcycleMentor.com™

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
I just think it's cool how you did the hightlight thingy.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
NightRod ELPASO said:
I just think it's cool how you did the hightlight thingy.
+1
Always attempt gravel as straight and as slow/smooth as poss.

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
Pete Tamblyn, as usual, pretty much has it nailed. Since we ride double a lot, I ride at a speed alows me to get stopped on the road I can see. Same in the cages. where we like to go there are elk in the road, not to mention sand and gravel or plain old dirt roads with cattle guards.

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
Yep, slow and straight. Lock up the rear if you have to prior to hitting the gravel to get maximum slowing. Even at really slow speeds you can still have the bike fall out from under you.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Flat Track 101. Dump the throttle, let the rear skate out, and COUNTER STEER like CRAZY!!!!!

Try to slow like that around here, and you're GONNA get REAR ENDED. I'll never slow down for a yellow light in this area. :2cents:

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
Yep: slow and straight and even then it is 50-50. Gravel is very unforgiving.
Great post!

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Grew up riding on gravel. Just get used to the bike feeling loose, moderate your speed, corner like you're on marbles. Live in the ruts (ride in the wheel tracks).

·
Registered
898 Posts
rjrivero said:
Flat Track 101. Dump the throttle, let the rear skate out, and COUNTER STEER like CRAZY!!!!!

Try to slow like that around here, and you're GONNA get REAR ENDED. I'll never slow down for a yellow light in this area. :2cents:
This is what I do and it never fails!! Plus you look so cool sliding and counter steering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts