Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it's finally out in the US (has been available in Europe for some time)

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=354&Category=1&Lid=4

Seems to be much better than version one - still pricey at $699 but includes everything

If anyone has it please post impressions and pix.

I am still looking at various options. Seems to me that a good old TomTom One for $250 (Circuit City) does as good a job for a fraction of the price so I might go this route (Lux has had his for a while now and seems to be pretty happy with it - about the only part on the bike he has had no issue with :stilpoke: ).

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Looks good. I have the Garmin zumo 550. Does all the same things for the same price it does not include the scala headset. So the Tom Tom rider 2 seems more economical.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the tomtom 1 in the car, it's a nice unit.

For the bike I started with the Garmin 2610 3-4yrs back, couldn't see the screen in sun light. Two years back I switched to the Lowrance 500C, a really big unit, but the screen was fantastic and software just beyond words, you can add overlays adjust most everything and the detail beyond anything else. But like I said a big unit. Now days I put the Lowrance 250C on the bike, it's under $200 almost everywhere, all the software features of the 500C except it's small and lightweight and the screen is not as bright. While the Garmin Zumo 550 is a great unit, and I am sure the Rider is too - I just can't justify the premium prices, if I need the bluetooth connect maybe!

Kevin

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Thanks for that. The BT headset will be worth the price on its own for me. I'll order one next time I'm in the UK.

·
Still too slow
336 Posts
I have the orignal Rider. I would hope this 2nd edition corrects a very basic flaw in the original. The cradle over time does not maintain electrical contact with the unit. After a month or so of use it sags slightly and the 4 pin pads on the back of the unit no longer reliably contact the pins on the cradle. In order to make the most of my investment, I have rigged up a power supply utilizing the charging connection. Of course this is not water proof. I guess I'll wait this time and let somebody else test and report on the latest design.

:mad:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Customer support for the TomTom is pretty sketchy, especially compared to Garmin's which is first rate.

PS: I think the irritating guy in those TomTom commercials is named "Dick-Dick".

·
1130cc.com PITFA
2,883 Posts
TomTom ONE 3rd edition is the car version, can use it on a bike as, but, it is not weather protected.

I'll have the TomTom RIDE 2nd edition, HOPEFULLY, the week before the rally.
I'll post review once i get done "testing" it out

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kamots881 said:
TomTom ONE 3rd edition is the car version, can use it on a bike as, but, it is not weather protected.

I'll have the TomTom RIDE 2nd edition, HOPEFULLY, the week before the rally.
I'll post review once i get done "testing" it out

Yes, we know the TomTom ONE v1, v2 or v3 are designed for cars.
However, since there is only a flash memory inside it can be fitted on a bike (hard drive would be too fragile).
Not weatherproof etc we know but does a good enough job for the huge difference in price.

As I said in a previous thread, David (Lux) has one and is happy with it
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=899921&postcount=2

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I am very happy with the Tom Tom 1, Its 1000% better than the one that came in my Mercedes which is DVD based and its the Only GPS company that is Mac compatible (Which I didnt know when I got it). Updates every week and the POI has about 98% of the plqaces by name.
And Pascal found that they do now make Mounts for them.
\http://www.ram-mount.com/tomtom/tomtom_one_mounts.htm

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have the tomtom 2nd edition RIDER

Took my first trip with it, and love it. Went to Maine, and was super impressed. The headset is first class, the unit is waterproof (ask me how I know), it has a QWERTY keyboard setting, it is loud and clear, the new mounting the first rate, and there is a charging cable that lets you wire it to the battery. I couldn't be happier with it. I am pretty particular about my accessories and this is one I will not ever regret nor part with.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
67ray said:
Took my first trip with it, and love it. Went to Maine, and was super impressed. The headset is first class, the unit is waterproof (ask me how I know), it has a QWERTY keyboard setting, it is loud and clear, the new mounting the first rate, and there is a charging cable that lets you wire it to the battery. I couldn't be happier with it. I am pretty particular about my accessories and this is one I will not ever regret nor part with.

Sounds great. Please post pictures. I am particularly interested in where exactly you attached the RAM mount and how it looks.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
luxlamf said:
I am very happy with the Tom Tom 1, Its 1000% better than the one that came in my Mercedes which is DVD based and its the Only GPS company that is Mac compatible (Which I didnt know when I got it). Updates every week and the POI has about 98% of the plqaces by name.
And Pascal found that they do now make Mounts for them.
\http://www.ram-mount.com/tomtom/tomtom_one_mounts.htm
I like that Brake/Clutch Reservoir mount.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
67ray: is the mount included with the kit? looks great.

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
Is the extra money worth it over the original TomTom Rider? Is the interfacing/software the same? Do you get anything extra? A friend of mine has one (original Rider) and I'm impressed with it. I asked them about the cradle issue that chip mentions and they have not had a problem after a year.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
67ray: thanks for posting pictures.
From what I have read yes the RAM mount is included and it seems that for once the upgrade from Version 1 are really worth the extra $100.
However, I have decided that $600 or $700 was way too much money so I finally bought the TomTom ONE for just $189 (new) and am now trying to figure out which RAM mount to use (I actually find them all pretty Fugly)
If anyone has any suggestions, preferably with picture I'd really appreciate it.
I have seen what is on the RAM website for the TomTom ONE but it is not very clear which would fit the VRod (if any).

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
PASCAL said:
67ray: thanks for posting pictures.
From what I have read yes the RAM mount is included and it seems that for once the upgrade from Version 1 are really worth the extra $100.
However, I have decided that $600 or $700 was way too much money so I finally bought the TomTom ONE for just $189 (new) and am now trying to figure out which RAM mount to use (I actually find them all pretty Fugly)
If anyone has any suggestions, preferably with picture I'd really appreciate it.
I have seen what is on the RAM website for the TomTom ONE but it is not very clear which would fit the VRod (if any).
True I am not a big fan of the Giant Erector Set/ Space Shuttle arm coming out off the bars, Get the one that mounts closest to the bars is my recommend

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yes this mount came with the setup. I didn't even try different spots was in a rush to leave for my trip so I put it in that spot. The windshield clears it and it actually was very well positioned under line of sight. May look for an alternate bracket but I still give it an A+.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts