Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
knit whit
1,413 Posts
Been itching to get one of those. Is that the mount that comes with the Zumo or is it an aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The mount looks like a Ram-Mount - http://www.ram-mount.com/

I have had a Garmin Quest since they came out and I like it 'cos it is small enough to fit in a pocket, but it has no Bluetooth.
Also has a 20 hour battery life, and is water resistant to 1 meter.

There is no room in the "garage" for my Sporty, tis at a mates house :(

·
fire up !
700 Posts
widdlewunn said:
Been itching to get one of those. Is that the mount that comes with the Zumo or is it an aftermarket?
ZUMO 550 kit contains RAM mount + hardware that gives you two options to install :
1. U-bolt (don't use it on black pc'd handlebars or you'll damage the paint)
2. adapter + 2 bolts to bolt directly to the clutch brake reservoir clamp (or front brake reservoir clamp if you prefer) = rock solid
i used the second option, for pic see http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70395
grtz

1,501 Posts
I have the TomTom on all of my bikes, one unit and multiple mounts. The mount doesn't like the HD bars that much but it's on fine (with longer bolts) the mounts are viewable in my gallery (on left hand side of bars).

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I also heard the the BT headset was sh!te, and that you can not hear a thing.
Seems a bit odd when it is designed for use on a bike.

I have not seen a V2 yet, Halfords do not seem to be stocking them this time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Get a BT headset that has the internal ear fitting. They are a little more expensive, but I can hear super clearly. The BT headsets that just sit on top of your ear are worthless...

·
Dr. Laser Guy
997 Posts
Looks like you have some sort of locking knob on the RAM mount. Where is that from? Thanks in advance!

·
Made in Ceylon
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kaminski here is the picture,
The extra accessory socket (orange wire goes to the GPS)

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gadgets smagets...

The_Apprentice said:
The mount looks like a Ram-Mount - http://www.ram-mount.com/

I have had a Garmin Quest since they came out and I like it 'cos it is small enough to fit in a pocket, but it has no Bluetooth.
Also has a 20 hour battery life, and is water resistant to 1 meter.

There is no room in the "garage" for my Sporty, tis at a mates house :(

I've always wondered why anyone would want GPS on a motorcycle? Maps are handier.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Jackflash said:
I've always wondered why anyone would want GPS on a motorcycle? Maps are handier.
why ? before i had my Zumo i used (needed) to carry on average 12 detailed maps with me when doing +/- 5.000 kms bike trips, that was during the first 28 years of my biking carreer
obviously this entails some practical issues like switching maps, maps getting wet, my eyesight getting worse hence putting on extra reading glasses when riding, working out detours on the spot when needed and most importantly taking my eyes off the road each time i need to look down on the map when riding which has produced some ultra scary moments in the past
now during the past year i create my trips (day-per-day) on my pc, preview them in Google Earth, transfer them to the GPS, wake up in the morning, select the route i need for that day, press start and off i go
it tells me ETA, distance left, saves me from getting speeding tickets, has a digital compass, creates detours on the spot for me, has a digital fuel gauge that alerts me when hitting reserve and then offers to find the nearest gas station for me, whispers turn-by-turn directions (with street names) in my ear if i want to, finds hotels/restaurants, hotels, gas stations or whatever is needed where i am and as a bonus it gives me about 8 Gb of my favorite music (in excellent stereo) plus offers me hands free bluetooth calling, all that just by touching a few screen buttons
so that's bye-bye maps, hello GPS for me (but i always carry 1 general map in case of...:) )
grtz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts