Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It arrived today from the group buy.and my buddy brought over the laptop also today.But I have a prob.No CD drive.How do I get the software on the laptop? :confused:
:helpme:
Ok I'm gonna need some help tuning this by myself :hitfan: soon as I get it loaded on my laptop.I started reading the manual and my dyxlexia kicked in full power.I need a video.HD guys if you read this take this under consideration.It'll make things easier for the laymen.
:confused:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Vinny,

PLEASE don't take this wrong but the RT was never intended for the layman.

Print out the manual and read it at whatever pace it takes to absorb the information. All the info you need is in there and we're all here to help fill in the gaps. :)

Mark

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mjw930 said:
Vinny,

PLEASE don't take this wrong but the RT was never intended for the layman.

Mark
I know but I'm a hands on guys.I worded it wrong.I've tuned Holley carbs for years but FI is new to me.
With the help from eveyone here I'll get real good.Then I'll get my own dyno and open shop. ;) that's a few years down the road tho.Just some wishful thinking. ;)
Do I need to take take it somewhere to load the software?Or can I hook it up to my PC?

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good thing it runs great with the ST map.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
If you have a network you can either copy entire CD from the PC into a directory on the laptop or use windows sharing to share the PC's CD drive and access the installation by using "My Network Places" from the start menu. Just browse over the the shared CD drive (or the copy) and double click on "Launch.exe"

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok the laptop has a male and female 9pin port and a usb 1 port.My dell PC has the usb2,and 9pin port.What do I use to do this?
I'll try tom.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The easiest way, find someone with a USB CD reader and plug it into the laptop. Maybe a local C shop will help you out.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
vrodvinny said:
Ok the laptop has a male and female 9pin port and a usb 1 port.My dell PC has the usb2,and 9pin port.What do I use to do this?
I'll try tom.
I hate compter problems, everyone needs one friend that can figure this stuff out. :hitfan:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
I hate compter problems, everyone needs one friend that can figure this stuff out. :hitfan:
It seems like your either a Computer God like Max or a Computer Idiot like Me! ;)

·
Cruzin' the Canyons
1,485 Posts
If your rod is under warranty and you install the RT, Harley will know right away that RT is in there and void your warranty.

Harley Tech told me yestereday..

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
LENELSA, it seems that not all dealerships look at the same way. My former dealer gave me the same information that you got, while it is true the RT leaves a print on the ECM that will always be there many dealers don't have a problem with it. Of course the dealer that stated it would void my warranty even if I used the stock flashes also couldn't fix a bread sandwich.

·
Cruzin' the Canyons
1,485 Posts
Very True Max ! I get major discrepencies between to major dealers here
in Los Angeles.
Thank God my dealer is the most experienced of the 2.

Lenny

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mjw930 said:
If you have a network you can either copy entire CD from the PC into a directory on the laptop or use windows sharing to share the PC's CD drive and access the installation by using "My Network Places" from the start menu. Just browse over the the shared CD drive (or the copy) and double click on "Launch.exe"
My PC has win.XP.Can I just hook up the 9pin cables and copy the software to the laptop which has ME?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Here's an exerpt from Microsoft support:
To make a direct network connection
Open Network Connections.
Under Network Tasks, click Create a new connection, and then click Next.
Click Set up an advanced connection, and then click Next.
Click Connect directly to another computer, click Next, and then follow the instructions in the New Connection Wizard.
Notes

To open Network Connections, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
To create a direct network connection that acts as a host, you must be logged on as Administrator or be a member of the Administrators group. Guest direct network connections do not require administrator-level rights.
If you specify your connection as a host when you create it, the connection appears as Incoming Connections in the Network Connections folder.
You can create multiple direct connections by copying them in the Network Connections folder. You can then rename the connections and modify connection settings. By doing so, you can easily create different connections to accommodate multiple ports, host computers, and so on.
Direct connections can bypass authentication requirements. This is useful for devices such as palmtop computers. You must configure this setting in the host incoming connection. For more information, click Related Topics.
If you create a direct connection by using a serial (RS-232C) cable, the port that you select in the New Connection Wizard is enabled for connections that use a null modem.
If you are logged on to your computer as Administrator or a member of the Administrators group when you create a direct connection, you are presented with a list of connection devices to choose from that includes all of the parallel ports for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and enabled, and COM ports. If you are logged on as a user who is not a member of the Administrators group, and create a direct connection, the list of devices includes the parallel ports for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and enabled, and only the COM ports that are configured with null modems. If you need to use a COM port for a direct connection, ask your system administrator to configure one of the COM ports on your computer with a null modem by using Phone and Modem Options in Control Panel.
Users do not need to use direct connections to allow access to shared resources, such as files and printers, over a local area network. In order to enable shared access to resources on the local computer, you must enable file and print sharing, share the resources, and then set up the appropriate permissions.