Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of those situations where being outbid saved me a few bucks.

Was bidding on a chrome luggage rack for my V, this one here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=260150131328

Listing price was $90 with a $9.95 S&H fee....guy that outbid me is now paying $102.50 plus that same S&H fee. What makes this peculiar to me is that on the HD website, this item can be purchased for a flat $110 plus tax which puts in the same ballpark as this one on ebay as it is now.

Figured that at $90 this was a decent deal for the item; but once the price hit near a $100 it really lost it's value. Maybe I'm wrong...just my :2cents:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Can't that be purchased all day from Hales for about $90 plus shipping? Ebay is a buyer beware, I have seen several items go for more then new price for no reason. Usually if it is an item I want I won't bid until the last 30 seconds of the auction anyway.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
That is an HD dealer that was selling the part on ebay and they stated that the msrp was $110. So your right, at $90 it would have been ok but anywhere around $100 wouldn't have been a deal. You would be surprised at a lot of the items sell used for more than new prices because the bidders never spent the time to get prices on items before bidding.

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max said:
Can't that be purchased all day from Hales for about $90 plus shipping?
Max...you saved the day once again! Hales had not occurred to me; just checked them out and ordered one online for a total of $97.63 shipping included. Thanks for the assist! :thumb:

·
Finn
466 Posts
Best thing to do is check locally and get a price, then check Hales or Zanottis for their price then put a max bid 10% under what you would pay for it from a HD dealer plus shipping. If I cant save 10% through fleebay I dont buy it there.
Just 1 mans opinion.
Peace and ride safe,
Finn

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
FINNS VROD said:
Best thing to do is check locally and get a price, then check Hales or Zanottis for their price then put a max bid 10% under what you would pay for it from a HD dealer plus shipping. If I cant save 10% through fleebay I dont buy it there.
Just 1 mans opinion.
Peace and ride safe,
Finn
+1

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
A sucker born every minute..... :cupcake:

·
Jack
377 Posts
Max said:
Can't that be purchased all day from Hales for about $90 plus shipping? Ebay is a buyer beware, I have seen several items go for more then new price for no reason. Usually if it is an item I want I won't bid until the last 30 seconds of the auction anyway.
Have you tried www.eSnipe.com? They bid automatically for you in the last 6 seconds if you want and only charge 1% of the winning bid price for their service. I use them all the time.

·
Registered
577 Posts
FINNS VROD said:
Just 1 mans opinion.
Peace and ride safe,
Finn
:them:

·
Sergrod
676 Posts
I had something like that happen to me last week on a chrome brake pedal started at $24.99 great deal close at $206.00 +s/h, goes for $191.00 new

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
If caveat emptor ever applies it is certainly on eBay.

·
Bad ride inside
505 Posts
Thats funny I get outbid all the time but..... I do research and only bid the top price its worth after previously finding it brand new. But I do add a twist sometimes I hyperlink the website to the winning bidder to show them they could of bought it brand new and way cheaper... I guess im evil in that way lol

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
The only problem with Hales or Zanotti's (or any dealer for that matter) is that if they don't have it in stock, you are in for a looooooooong wait, assuming that it hasn't been discontinued like most V-ROD accessories. That guy from St. Paul only ebays things he has in stock. I have purchased a couple of small items from him and had them in a couple of days.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
strat56 said:
Have you tried www.eSnipe.com? They bid automatically for you in the last 6 seconds if you want and only charge 1% of the winning bid price for their service. I use them all the time.
I would never put my username and password for ebay in someones data base. If I want it that much I can usually make a bid within the last couple of seconds on my own. I also try to avoid bidding on anything early. Often bidding wars take place and new people to ebay will drive the price up over new price just to say they won. :rofl:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts